close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shimming Upper and Lower with an O-ring

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Agent6-3/8, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8
    Expand Collapse

What's the skinny on this trick?

My AR has a slight bit of wobble and I thought I'd try it. An o-ring on the front lug did lock it up tight. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet and see it accuracy has been improved. Just curious about opinions on this mod. Any downside to it?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. smokin762

smokin762
    Expand Collapse

3. JASV.17

JASV.17
    Expand Collapse
    Prime Example

Slight bit of wobble is good.

4. JBnTX

JBnTX
    Expand Collapse
    Texas

That play between the upper and lower receivers is normal.
    It has no effect on accuracy or anything else.

O rings and accuwedges are a waste of money and just might do more
    harm than good.

#4 JBnTX, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  5. expatman

expatman
    Expand Collapse

Why bother? The sight plain is on the upper and therefore not affected by any "wobble".

I have heard about this type of thing for years and am surprized that this issue still floats around.

6. K. Foster

K. Foster
    Expand Collapse

This^^^

7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

It does not effect accuracy, however, if the shooter has belief that it helps,
    then it's worth it. He will gain a bit of accuracy, placebo effect.

8. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8
    Expand Collapse

"Why bother" is exactly why I asked. ;)

9. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

I have 2 rifles with accu-wedges. Locks up super tight and actually sometimes makes it hard to close the upper and push that back pin through.

It might not help accuracy but it feels a lot better when your gun is not loose in your hands. How does it hurt the gun? I have heard people say that. It's one thing if it doesn't have a net benefit but makes you feel better, but it's another thing if there is some substantiated harm that can come of it. I just can't think of any.

10. crazymoose

crazymoose
    Expand Collapse
    Nonentity

I've heard of occasional issues where an O-ring or accuwedge either breaks into pieces or comes loose and interferes with the function of the fire control parts.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

This,.......and eventual elongation of the pin hole, over a long period

12. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls
    Expand Collapse

This is what a "heard" too. But I have never seen it happen. Guns are our own toys. If someone wants little or no play & there's a way to do that I'm all for it. It's that's person rifle after all.
    I have used both methods. I never had any sort of problem in thousands of rounds on different rifles.
    Don't expect any benefits other then the upper/lower feeling a little more solid.

13. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

I can see the wedge breaking and parts falling into the fire control group, but not enough to jam it up... I have had my Accu-wedge (orange) for 13 years in my AR and haven't had any problems. The black Accu-wedge seems more prone to falling apart as it is less beefy and the material seemed cheaper. The orange one is a big honking unit that is very solid.

How does the Accu-wedge elongate the pinhole?

14. smokin762

smokin762
    Expand Collapse

I am not a gun snob by any means. However, I do think something’s are not necessary to make a rifle more accurate. I do not use any thing in my rifles to make the upper and lower tighter. I do not believe it really helps anyways.

In my personal opinion, what makes a firearm more accurate is, practicing with it more.

This past August, I went to Camp Perry and took the beginners EIC M16 rifle course hosted by the Army Marksmanship Unit. It was only $40.00 and I only live a little over an hour from there so I figured what the heck.

We shot at 200 yards. Each lane had five people in it and we all had to share the same rifle. I think we got like 15 minutes and I think 10 rounds to sight the rifle in for our eyes.

Some of these rifles were clearly well used. The lane next to me was using an M16 that was not shooting consistently. Their coach discovered the rifle they were using had a loose barrel. They swapped it for another rifle.

In that same lane over from me a 15 year old girl from Texas that has been competing in shooting matches shot in the 360’s out of a possible 400. I would like to add she had a shooting jacket and all the gear to go with it. If she can do that with a loose upper and lower, than we should be able too with practice.

I shot in the 260’s out of a possible 400. It was my first time competing and I only brought myself with not one piece of shooting gear but I really did discover how bad I suck due to the lack of practice.

My suggestion would be to use the money for ammunition and leave the gadgets in the store unless they really do help you.

15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Not that mine needs it, but my billet lower from Quentin Defense has a tension
    screw above the grip that can be adjusted to take slop out of a upper/lower fit.
    I have a Quentin Defense upper as well so it's a very nice fit.

16. B.Reid

B.Reid
    Expand Collapse

I have an accu-wedge that you can have. It came with a gun and I took it out.

17. crazymoose

crazymoose
    Expand Collapse
    Nonentity

I look at it like this: functionally speaking, an Accuwedge or O-ring probably will not cause any issues; however, a loose fit between the upper and lower definitely causes no issues.

If it really matters to you and you want a tight rifle, go for it, just keep an eye on the Accuwedge/O-ring and replace it when it starts looking chewed up or otherwise old or damaged.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

#17 crazymoose, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  18. WayaX

WayaX
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

Some people will never be happy even if the receivers were welded together.

19. Young Once

Young Once
    Expand Collapse

You are so right, WayaX

20. BBJones

BBJones
    Expand Collapse

The only real solution is to get a hand matched upper/lower set. That is if it is a problem for you.