close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shelter for BOB/GHB

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by .50 cal, Jan 24, 2012.

1. .50 cal

.50 cal
    Expand Collapse

Hello, I looking to upgrade from my standard tarp to something better, I will keep this shelter in my bags and would like it to be small and lightweight, I'd like several tie down points and a durable material, the item I'm currently considering is the proforce all weather shelter, it is 10x10 and comes with stakes, any suggestions? advice? thank you

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. jellis11

jellis11
    Expand Collapse
    Yippee-ki-yay

I have a reusable emergency tarp that Dave Canterbury uses. Actually two of them. I like it a lot. Planning a few trips in the WV forests that will use it as a main shelter. Just my .02!

3. Lionhill

Lionhill
    Expand Collapse

Tent tarp: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzJHuWlEAtk"]Tarp Tent Set Up - YouTube[/ame]

Canvas, you can have a fire quiet close to the opening, or a micro wood inside.

LH

4. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins
    Expand Collapse
    Slacked jawed

Nahh that thing is huge and heavy, expecially when it gets wet, which will take forever to dry. Also Poly and Nylon will melt, but Cotton Canvas will burn.

The OP wants small, lightweight. He needs to look at hiking tarps or something made by Tarptent or Go lite.

http://www.tarptent.com/

http://www.golite.com/tents

All I got to say is it ain't cheap, but an 2.7lb OD green Go-Lite Shangri La 3 fly retrofitted with a chimmney setup and you are in business

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#4 Bilbo Bagins, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  5. Babynine

Babynine
    Expand Collapse

/\ That Tipi stove setup seems great. I have been looking ino the Kifaru Tipi and stove setups for awhile now. Its amazing how light some of that stuff is.

I have a Euraka TCOP one man combat tent that weighs 7lbs with steaks and lines. And thats a one man tent with no heat! I love the thing, but it is heavy.

The tarp in the op seems great as well. I may have to get one as the $1100+ for a Kifaru Tipi and stove is far above my budget. Its far lighter than my TCOP.

6. Aceman

Aceman
    Expand Collapse

Catoma bednet + Tarp

But I live in florida...

7. Nine Shooter

Nine Shooter
    Expand Collapse
    Average Guy

[​IMG]

What kind of stove is that? That looks nifty!

8. dherloc

dherloc
    Expand Collapse
    X-Nuc

9. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins
    Expand Collapse
    Slacked jawed

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/cstove.html

You know between tipi tents, hammock camping, ultralight hikers with ther cuben tarps, there is so many subcultures and small business support it. Its almost as bad as gun owners. :rofl:

#9 Bilbo Bagins, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  10. wjv

wjv
    Expand Collapse

I have a couple light weight tarps; some paracord and some 8" galvanized nail/spikes.

11. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter
    Expand Collapse

i run a tarp and a usgi bivy bag with my MSS.

12. humanguerrilla

humanguerrilla
    Expand Collapse

+1. Longterm I'd want more tent, but my tried, true, and simple old Golite Cave2 is in the BOB. Great ultralite 2-3 person tarp tent packs into 4x8" package and weighs 1.2 lbs with the fixin's.

#12 humanguerrilla, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  13. UneasyRider

UneasyRider
    Expand Collapse
    C.D.B.

That's pretty large, you might do better where it's cold with something smaller to conserve your body temperature.

14. walkin man

walkin man
    Expand Collapse

I continue to read these threads where the posters seem to think a shtf situation is going to be like an extended camping/hiking trip.
    Build a fire in your stove for cooking and warmth and all sorts of bad things can happen. 1-Bad guys will smell the smoke or food odors and hunt you down causing a confrontation that you may not survive.
    2-Its extra weight you have to carry causing you to lose mobility and burn more energy.

Learn to think like a fugitive and not be seen. If you have to cook food, then eat and move to a better location to sleep. Better yet, eat it cold if you can. Find a natural windbreak or rain shelter to sleep in. Try to always remain unseen till you can get to your BOL. Travel at night and lay up during the day. Predators will seek the easy prey first, don't be it.
    walkin man

15. Unistat

Unistat
    Expand Collapse

I have a Coghlan's tube tent in my GHB. Not much better than a tarp, lol, but enough to keep the rain off my face.

16. Bolster

Bolster
    Expand Collapse
    Not Ready Yet!

ENO Pro Fly Tarp looks interesting...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/ENO-Pro-Fly-Rain-Tarp/dp/B005JX2542/ref=pd_sim_sg_6"]Amazon.com: ENO Pro Fly Rain Tarp: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Z7Oqx21wL.@@AMEPARAM@@31Z7Oqx21wL[/ame]

17. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono
    Expand Collapse

Do those come with the hole in the top for the stove? The Kifaru is out of my price range as well.

#17 Lone Kimono, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  18. Babynine

Babynine
    Expand Collapse

Up here in Wisconsin fire is the only way to dry clothing in the cold winter months. And wet clothing can kill you dead when the weather gets nasty.

Some dont realize that there is basicly no way to prevent geting wet in the winter months, at least in cold climates. And when its cold, even wool socks might take days to dry without fire, if you can dry tham at all. Sweating, and even water vapor in our breath can condense and make clothing wet while in a tent.

Also many of the Tipi and stove setups are meant to be pulled in a "pulk" or snowshoe sled. The Kafarus and that Go Lite are the only ones I have seen that are almost backpackable.

19. UneasyRider

UneasyRider
    Expand Collapse
    C.D.B.

My Stepfather was in the battle of the bulge and he changed his socks twice in 6 weeks living in the snow! He said that anyone who took off their boots let alone their socks got frost bite, period. He only got to change his because he took shrapnel a couple of times and spent a day in the MASH while they removed half a pound of metal, then back to the line. What a generation.

20. walkin man

walkin man
    Expand Collapse

Up here in Wisconsin fire is the only way to dry clothing in the cold winter months. And wet clothing can kill you dead when the weather gets nasty.

Some dont realize that there is basicly no way to prevent geting wet in the winter months, at least in cold climates. And when its cold, even wool socks might take days to dry without fire, if you can dry tham at all. Sweating, and even water vapor in our breath can condense and make clothing wet while in a tent.

Also many of the Tipi and stove setups are meant to be pulled in a "pulk" or snowshoe sled. The Kafarus and that Go Lite are the only ones I have seen that are almost backpackable.
    What I a saying though is, if you must build a fire, get it done, dry your clothes, cook, whatever you have to do, then move to a safer location some distance away. Just cause the fire is nice and warm doesn't mean you have to lay up and enjoy it all night.
    You would be surprised how far wood smoke smell will carry, especially when its humid.
    walkin man