close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

sharpening your knife

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by onearmsteve, Jan 29, 2013.

1. onearmsteve

onearmsteve

Jan 15, 2013
    south carolina
    what is the best knife sharpener to buy or best way to sharpen your knife

2. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Apr 5, 2007
    Utah
    Please give more info.

What type of knife?
    What is it used for?
    What sort of edge do you want?
    What is your level of skill with sharpening?
    What shape is it in now?

Youtube is a great place to start. There are many sharpening systems for different types of knives.

My favorite are the two paper wheels that go on a bench grinder. Great results but misused they can destroy a knife in short order.

3. mortpes

mortpes

Oct 1, 2006
    I have used a spyderco tri angle sharp maker with very good results.

4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I'm wanting a Warthog V-Sharp sharpener. My brother has one and it works great for him. Costs a little for the classic.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  5. MannyA

MannyA

Dec 30, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YW27O8/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00"]Amazon.com: Work Sharp WSKTS-KT Knife and Tool Sharpener Field Kit: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yaVJTLO4L.@@AMEPARAM@@51yaVJTLO4L[/ame]

The ultimate!

6. onearmsteve

onearmsteve

Jan 15, 2013
    south carolina
    ihave a benchmade and a couple kershaws and just normal wear but would like to put a shaving edge back on them there not dull just want that extra sharp blade

7. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    I have extremely good luck with Spyderco products. I like the Sharpmaker and their benchstones. Personally I use an Edge Pro Apex with Chosera waterstones and kangaroo leather strops with .25micron diamond spray to build my edges. This particular combo gives a mirror polished, hair whittling edge that is also very aggressive due to the diamond spray on the finishing strop.

For edge maintenance I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker with the ultra fine stones and various strops and compounds. My favorite strops are the Stropman HD and the Knives Plus Stropblock. I might put a knife on the Edge Pro once a year, the rest of the time it's edge maintenance. It's easier to keep a sharp knife sharp than to start all over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also a good way for an inexperienced sharpener to lose a finger.

Not for my knives. If you have knives that you consider disposable, then this will probably be ok to use. I take pride in my things and don't want to prematurely wear them out by using a grinder. With a lot of experience a belt grinder is a good tool for sharpening knives but done with very high grit or lo micron belts not the 80 grit asphalt that come on this thing.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  8. onearmsteve

onearmsteve

Jan 15, 2013
    south carolina
    that apex edge pro did a nice job on your benchmade

9. jrd22

jrd22

Nov 16, 2012
    NW Washington
    Edge Pro Apex. You can sharpen your smallest paring knife to your largest butcher/hunting knife to razor sharp, every time.

10. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    Medium and fine stones plus I finish it off with a ceramic rod.
    Has worked for me for many years.