Sharp Rise in Women’s Deaths From Overdose of Painkillers

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ronduke, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Black History month, surprised Jackson & Sharpton are not crying The Okie Corral Feb 3, 2015
    Knife guys. Anyone know how to sharpen a Katana? The Okie Corral Wednesday at 9:06 PM
    SOLD ESEE 6 w/ 2 sheaths never used or sharpened. Edged Weapons & Related Items Sep 11, 2015
    Sharp Force Trauma-IWB The Cutting Edge Aug 7, 2015
    Sharp Blades - White Shark Throwing Set Video Jun 25, 2015

2. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Guy or gal, you gotta be so careful with painkillers.

3. It's a monkey on your back.
  4. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

I work in a college town and even in the last 6 years I can see a huge increase in pill poppers. Benzos and narcotics are huge right now, and most of the kids that take them have no idea how addictive or dangerous they are, or that possession of them is a felony.

"Its just medicine dude"
  5. I broke my thumb, last year. First thing offered was Vicodin, Oxycontin, etc, all in the name of "pain management."

I declined all that crap. Advil was fine, and guess what? It hurt, but, sometimes, stuff hurts.

The idea of Pain Management has created a whole new class of dopers and addicts, and the Doctors who continually prescribe this crap should shoulder part of the blame.
  6. I praise God there are such medicines. After my back surgery, my pain is unbearable. Doc says I have permanent nerve damage at 2 different areas in my back, and he believes I have an extreme buildup of scar tissue at the surgery site. I walk with a limp and can't walk without a cane now for fear of falling again. I get 4 pain pills a day...sometimes I have to take 2 just to be able to sleep because of the pain.
  7. Probably 3/4 of my felony drug arrests now are prescription narcotics.
  8. Patchman

Patchman Florist

If only they'd legalize prescription narcotics, people wouldn't commit crimes to purchase them... :)
    #8 Patchman, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  9. One of the first people that I can remember getting discharged from the Army (that I met), was a guy who was addicted to prescription pain pills. I felt sorry for him at first. Then I learned that he would steal pills from people in the barracks recovering from surgeries. Then he stole my sunglasses (I didn't have enough evidence to prove it, unfortunately). Worthless POS.
  10. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I came across a guy with a professional job who was a pillhead. His gf was also one. He'd steal some of her stash (and she's probablyy stole from him too). When he went to get more pills from the dealer, he'd get money from her and tell her the pills were (say) $35 each when in fact he was buying them for less. Then he'd pocket the extra pills. He'd also do the same thing with his "friends." Even his parents were starting to realize something was wrong.
    #10 Patchman, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  11. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator.

Not a shock. Where I live now, synthetic opioid overdose (mostly oxycodone), is the leading cause of accidental death, even above traffic accidents.

It's a pandemic here.
  12. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

A really good point that proponents of drug legalization ignore.

I had to have surgery a few years ago and while I was hospitalized they gave me Dilaudid for pain management. For those not familiar, it's a hardcore opiate derivative. Each time a nurse gave me a shot, they wrote the time up on a board. Each time I waited until it was long past that time, and I couldn't take the pain anymore before I asked for another.

Finally, one of the nurses asked me why I was doing that to myself. I told her that as a cop, I've seen plenty of people get hooked on pain meds and go down a bad path. She chastised me and basically "ordered" me to ask for another shot before the effects from the last round wore off. She promised that they were staying on top it, and I didn't have to worry about getting addicted for the time I was in the hospital. I put my trust in them, and stopped torturing myself.

That incident left me with a pretty good understanding of how people can get hooked on the euphoric feeling from pain meds. For me, it's a scary feeling, but I can understand it. My heart really goes out to the ones who are experiencing such pain that they would do anything to stop it. The ones that hooked because they started taking pain meds recreationally are complete and total idiots.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
  13. Y'all can blame two sources, JCOA and lawyers. JCOA (joint commission on accreditation) mandating Paine scale as the fith vital sign AND pain is what the patient says it is.

If a patient (Pt.) says the pain of a hang nail is 11 put of 10 on a 0-10 scale. So you have to treat it. To add confusion to the equation there is hyperthesia and Allodynia. The first is a stimulus that would normally be very mild, say 1-2 out of 10, like a hangnail, a person with hyperthesia would rate it 12 out of 10 (12/10). With the second, allodynia, a stimulus that nobody would think painful, say the wind current of someone walking past, would cause extreme pain.

The lawyers sue the medical provider that does not adequately treat pain.

The making all drugs OTC would have as one of the effects of putting chlorine in the gene pool. Go to the drug store and pick up 60 norcos, not a problem. The fact that you are addicted to it and it takes 3 times the dose it originally took. Problem is that dose will knock out your respiratory drive and you suffer anoxia, leading to shock (lack of tissue perfusion).

Good luck figuring this one out.
  14. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator.

You're right. Making all pain drugs OTC would make addiction a self correcting problem.
  15. I am sorry to hear about your situation, and also am glad you have at least some relief through painkillers. Unfortunately most pill users do NOT have your issues, and as mentioned doctors will prescribe heavy duty narcotics for the smallest pain complaints. People injest & become dependent on pills unnecessarily, and/or more of them are floating around that get sold on the black market.
  16. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator.

That is the truth. I have chronic arthritis in one of my wrists from an on the job injury that has become worse over time. It hurt a lot at times, and not so much at times. I went to two different doctors to see about having it fixed. Both just wanted to write me prescriptions for synthetic opioid pain relievers. I said, thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather have the pain than start heading down that road.
    #16 series1811, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  17. missile_man

missile_man 1BadOvine

18. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I keep a copy of this at work. If you're not at a 9 or 10 (emotionally or physically) on the scale, don't even think about asking for a day off.
    #18 Patchman, Jul 8, 2013
  19. I hate the pain scale. It means nothing anymore. "Oh, it's 8/10 and I'm allergic to Tylenol, ibuprofen, tramadol, vicodin, percocet, stadol, and valium. The only thing that helps my pain is dilaudid 4mg and phenergan 25 mg." BTW, you give dilaudid to people having kidney stones and intractable cancer pain. These lunkheads want it for a back ache. ACHE! Not pain, hot knife stabbing wrenching the flesh from your bones or flaying the skin off of you and dousing you with alcohol. No an ache. They took some of grandma's cancer pain medication and it worked well, so that is what I want and if I don't get it I'll call the whatever board on you for not treating my pain.

And you wonder why we Rx so much pain meds. They tell us that just because the have no outwards signs of pain does not mean they are not in pain. I'm not convinced. I want to see blood and gnashing of teeth before I give pain meds in the primary care setting. Luckily I'm in cardiology now and nobody comes in demanding pain meds, just relief and help. That I'm more than happy to give.
  20. How else am I supposed to go to a BBQ without calling off sick?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
    #20 Ohio Cop, Jul 8, 2013