close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Shape of A5 Powder?

Discussion in '10mm Reloading Forum' started by Taterhead, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I bought a pound of A5 powder to experiment with some medium velocity loads for the NOS 135 gr JHP. I like working with A7 and A9 and thought that A5 may be produce loads in the 1350 fps range with reasonable economy vs A7; AND have the fine metering characteristics of 7 and 9.

I expected the powder to be all spherical ball shaped powder like A7 and A9. I was surprised to see that it looks to be a blend of ball and small flake. Is that normal?

The reason I ask is 1) this powder is made overseas and 2) the component manufacturers have been working overtime to keep up with demand and to replenish stocks. I have worried, in general, about quality control standards when component manufacturers have been working at full speed +. I want to make sure that there is not some type of production mix up before I start working up some loads.

Is the powder shape that I'm seeing normal?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. My aa5 off the shelf is a fine ball powder. No flakes.

Contact AA before loading that stuff. it may be corrupted.

3. steve4102

steve4102

Jan 2, 2009
  4. JTknives

JTknives

Dec 1, 2009
    This happened to me as well. I was reloading yesterday and ran out of my AA#7 and cracked open a new bottle i got a few week ago and it looked diffrent. just like you said small balls with shiny flat balls, the powder had a glitter look to it and same with the new bottle of AA#9 i got at the same time. i shot some of it yesterday and did not notice a difference. but now that i think about it maybe i should not have. here is som picture of MY AA#7 and AA#9. its weird because i was reloading with a friend and he got a new bottle from a different store and his AA#7 looks like how it should, all of it is round balls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  5. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Wow. Those look NOTHING like the A9 & A7 powders that I've used.

6. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Thanks all for the replies, and thanks steve4102 for the link to the firingline discussion. I wonder if there is a larger production problem at hand?

I'm going to contact Western Powders on Monday to see what they say.

7. JTknives

JTknives

Dec 1, 2009
    Ya i need to call them as well. I shot 50 round of it on sat and everything seamed OK but now I'm worried. i was working up so loads. i was doing 180gr plated boolits with AA#9 and going from 12gr to 14.25 gr. i did not see any pressure signs but now like i said I'm worried.

8. JTknives

JTknives

Dec 1, 2009
    I just got off the phone with western and he told me that yes my powder is OK. its just a different manufacture.

9. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Western has referred me to one of their "ballisticians" from whom I'm supposed to hear back from yesterday.

Yet additional evidence of the need to re-work up loads when cracking open a new can of powder.

10. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Update:

The tech finally got back to me. He looked at the photo I sent and the lot number. Seems that everything is fine.

11. gator378

gator378 Gator378

Jan 22, 2001
    St. Peters, Mo, USA
    +1
    I just ckecked my 8 lbs of AA#5. Black little balls with shiney silver balls or flakes in it. I have been using it and no problems yet. I guess I will also check my 8 lbs of AA#9