close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shape of A5 Powder?

Discussion in '10mm Reloading Forum' started by Taterhead, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Taterhead

Taterhead
    Expand Collapse
    Counting Beans

I bought a pound of A5 powder to experiment with some medium velocity loads for the NOS 135 gr JHP. I like working with A7 and A9 and thought that A5 may be produce loads in the 1350 fps range with reasonable economy vs A7; AND have the fine metering characteristics of 7 and 9.

I expected the powder to be all spherical ball shaped powder like A7 and A9. I was surprised to see that it looks to be a blend of ball and small flake. Is that normal?

The reason I ask is 1) this powder is made overseas and 2) the component manufacturers have been working overtime to keep up with demand and to replenish stocks. I have worried, in general, about quality control standards when component manufacturers have been working at full speed +. I want to make sure that there is not some type of production mix up before I start working up some loads.

Is the powder shape that I'm seeing normal?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Taterhead, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. Peter M. Eick

Peter M. Eick
    Expand Collapse

My aa5 off the shelf is a fine ball powder. No flakes.

Contact AA before loading that stuff. it may be corrupted.

3. steve4102

steve4102
    Expand Collapse

4. JTknives

JTknives
    Expand Collapse

This happened to me as well. I was reloading yesterday and ran out of my AA#7 and cracked open a new bottle i got a few week ago and it looked diffrent. just like you said small balls with shiny flat balls, the powder had a glitter look to it and same with the new bottle of AA#9 i got at the same time. i shot some of it yesterday and did not notice a difference. but now that i think about it maybe i should not have. here is som picture of MY AA#7 and AA#9. its weird because i was reloading with a friend and he got a new bottle from a different store and his AA#7 looks like how it should, all of it is round balls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#4 JTknives, Apr 4, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  5. Taterhead

Taterhead
    Expand Collapse
    Counting Beans

Wow. Those look NOTHING like the A9 & A7 powders that I've used.

6. Taterhead

Taterhead
    Expand Collapse
    Counting Beans

Thanks all for the replies, and thanks steve4102 for the link to the firingline discussion. I wonder if there is a larger production problem at hand?

I'm going to contact Western Powders on Monday to see what they say.

7. JTknives

JTknives
    Expand Collapse

Ya i need to call them as well. I shot 50 round of it on sat and everything seamed OK but now I'm worried. i was working up so loads. i was doing 180gr plated boolits with AA#9 and going from 12gr to 14.25 gr. i did not see any pressure signs but now like i said I'm worried.

8. JTknives

JTknives
    Expand Collapse

I just got off the phone with western and he told me that yes my powder is OK. its just a different manufacture.

9. Taterhead

Taterhead
    Expand Collapse
    Counting Beans

Western has referred me to one of their "ballisticians" from whom I'm supposed to hear back from yesterday.

Yet additional evidence of the need to re-work up loads when cracking open a new can of powder.

10. Taterhead

Taterhead
    Expand Collapse
    Counting Beans

Update:

The tech finally got back to me. He looked at the photo I sent and the lot number. Seems that everything is fine.

11. gator378

gator378
    Expand Collapse
    Gator378

+1
    I just ckecked my 8 lbs of AA#5. Black little balls with shiney silver balls or flakes in it. I have been using it and no problems yet. I guess I will also check my 8 lbs of AA#9