close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

SGAmmo has 7.62x39 going fast!

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by wlst101, Jan 26, 2013.

1. got_metal

got_metal

Dec 19, 2009
    The Wasteland
    Which brand? Golden Tiger or the demilled stuff? If it's GT you can contact them directly as they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee and will refund your money for the unused ammo you have left when you send it back to them. At least that's what their website claims.

If it's the demilled stuff you're probably SOL unless SGAmmo will do something about it, which I doubt.

ETA: According to their site, SGAmmo does take returns on defective merchandise. Not sure if that applies to demilled ammo made in the 70's. If it's GT they should help you out.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  2. hammerkill

hammerkill

Mar 1, 2012
    With all due respect why didn't any of you knuckleheads buy this stuff when it was cheap and plentiful? I remember buying 1000 rounds at SG for 199.00 just a few years ago.

3. wlst101

wlst101

Jul 24, 2005
    Tucson,Az
    I can only speak for myself saying I wasnt into AK's back then. Started collecting AK parts just before the shooting.

4. brausso

brausso

Mar 7, 2010
    Puget Sound
    Your post brought a lot of value to this thread. Much appreciated.

5. Well, I for one did. But then you shoot it and need to buy more. Just because you bought it in the past doesn't mean you won't need it still.

I've got about 1200 rounds left right now but I won't shoot any of it until I can buy more.

when I'm down to 1000-1200 rounds of ammo in a particular caliber I consider myself to be out.

For that matter, I'm also out of 9x19. I've got around 800 rounds, but it's even more scarce than 7.62x39 in my area so I'm not firing a round.

I'll probably be doing more fishing then shooting this summer.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  6. pugman

pugman

May 16, 2003
    Wisconsin
    This. Although I don't fish I run.

You are reading the exploits of a dedicated "ammo finder." You can find 7.62 if you want to buy wolf or tula...but get ready to pay 2 or even 3 times what this ammo went for last November.

9mm...good luck. Finding 9 mm target ammo at anything which resembles a decent price is like finding a unicorn eating a field of 4 leaf clovers. $600 for 1,000 rounds of 9mm Tula? $500 for CCI Blaser (I bought 5,000 rounds when Palmetto had it at $189/1,000 in October or November).

7. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Great. Give me $10,000 next time ammo is plentiful so I can stock up.

8. hammerkill

hammerkill

Mar 1, 2012
    Here is some free advice for you young whippersnappers. You start with a minimum amount that you must have on hand. A good amout is 10,000 rounds per caliber. Then anything above that is shooting ammo. To get to the 10,000 mark WAS to start buying a case every month or two. If things die down I strongly recommend you learn from your past mistakes and stock up like there is no tommorrow or we will be having the same conversation and you will still be cussing me. Listen to your elders.:fred:

:rollsmiley:

9. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

Feb 3, 2009
    geriatric paradise
    60 cases of wolf x39 at ammoman,com for 375 shipped.

10. JBL13

JBL13

Oct 24, 2010
    Northern Utah
    The thing that has kept my attention on the subject of imported ammo is what might happen regarding the small arms treaty and the Big O's apparent ability to unilaterally stop the importing of firearms and ammo. Regardless of whether or not the treaty will actually make a material difference to our rights or our ability to procure foreign-made ammo, it seems to me that O could shut off that spigot at any time, unless I'm missing something. To that end, I've bought out two recent shipments of 7.62x39 at a LGS (they don't impose any purchasing limits, and I get notified when they take delivery of this caliber). I figure I'm set, but I won't be doing a lot of plinking with this caliber unless/until there's some positive clarity on the prospect of future availability.

11. pugman

pugman

May 16, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I would like to think there is some ammunition manufacturer out there who would see this as an opportunity.

If cheaper foreign made disappeared tomorrow there would be a very large market for a domestic brass cased producer to come out with something. Based on the whole animal thing maybe they call it Golden Eagle or something similar.

I often wondered if a small shop would survive on just 1-2 calibers; of course the problem right now is components

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  12. It's certainly possible that Obama, or any future president could ban imported ammo or firearms from any, or all countries. It's already been done with China.

However, I'd be willing to venture that if no 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 7.62x54R, etc you would start seeing domestic production skyrocket to fill demand. It might not ever get to be as low of a price as the imported stuff, but I'd bet it would be much cheaper then the domestic stuff is made now.

It's possible to make/buy brass cased 7.62x39 ammo fairly cheap. I used to buy brass cased Fiocchi 7.62x39 before I found a range that I could use steel cased ammo in. It was only about 5-8 cents more per round than wolf at the time.

I'm not going to say I'm not concerned about the ammo supply long run. If it happened I think things would get rough for around 8-12 months at least but I'm sure some ammo company would love to fill the void and make a pile of money feeding all of those AK, SKS and Mini 14 rifles that are in the country.

There isn't much domestic production of the soviet calibers right now. What little there is are mainly used by people for hunting from Mini 14s. I don't think I've ever seen anyone load up an AK mag with Winchester or Federal 7.62x39 ammo.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  13. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

Dec 19, 2000
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  14. JBL13

JBL13

Oct 24, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Thanks for passing this along.

15. wlst101

wlst101

Jul 24, 2005
    Tucson,Az
    SGAmmo has GoldenTiger for $271/1000k shipped....

16. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Thanks for the heads up! :wavey:

17. wlst101

wlst101

Jul 24, 2005
    Tucson,Az
    No problem. Anytime I catch them in stock I post it.