close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SF magazines vs. "normal" magazines?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Slateman, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Slateman

Slateman

So, help me out with this. I'm slightly confused and need some clarification.

As I understand it, "normal" magazines (of appropriate model) will fit in an SF frame, however, the user will not be able to swap the the magazine release to the other side.

I'm a righty, so I wouldn't care about having the magazine release on the other side.

Thus I can use "normal" Glock 20/29 magazines with a SF frame?

2. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

You are confused.

There was only one Gen3 model with a magazine release that could be swapped from side to side. I think that was the G21.

Other than that, yes, you can use "normal" mags with an SF frame. Everything is the same except the rear of the gun was narrowed some.

3. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

You can use any Glock Magazine appropriate for that size gun/caliber in any SF Frame. There is no difference. As mentioned. Glock made a G21SF for a short run with an ambi-mag release and as long as the mag has release cutouts on both side you can use them in THAT gun. And you really only need the mag with the ambi-cut for THAT gun if you move the mag release to the right side of the frame. But a G21 and a G21SF use the exact same mag. Ditto the G20/20 SF, G30/G390SF. Same same.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  4. ken grant

ken grant

SORRY, but you are wrong.
    I have a 21 and a 21SF with the ambi-release.
    The 21 mags will not work in the 21SF.

My 21SF has a totaly different mag catch which is in the front of the mag well and not on the side.
    The only mags that will work has the cutout on the front of the mag. They will still work in my 21 though.

5. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

Yes, the new mags will work in the old Glocks, but not vice versa.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  6. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

[​IMG]
    The G21 SF's with the 'Ambi' mag catch are the only Glocks in the US that require mags with the rectangular notch cut in the front of the mag tube. The Ambi mag catch is not 'reversible', it's ambidextrous.....it releases the mag by pushing on either side of the catch.

Gen4 Glocks only require Gen4 mags when the reversible mag catch is reversed for left hand use. Other than that, all Glock mags work in Gen4 Glocks.

7. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

Butch,

Thank you for making it even clearer! I have G21's in all flavours, with plenty of every Gen mag to go around...confusion certainly resulted!