close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Service Pack 2 successfully downloaded. Now unable to access some hyperlinks.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Timberwolf, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Timberwolf

Timberwolf >250,000 served

Feb 16, 2004
    Trinity, Los Alamos
    I downloaded SP2 just fine and two minor issues cropped up. I can live with the first issue, but the second issue is undesired:

1. I’ve lost the ability to left click on a hyperlink in Word and jump to the destination. I must right click and choose the “Open Hyperlink” option to get to the destination.

2. I can no longer access some javascript on some Web sites. Example: on the CNN Web site, they always have their little “QUICKVOTE” poll located in the lower right corner of their homepage. There is a hyperlink “VIEW RESULTS” in that frame. I used to be able to left click that hyperlink and see the results of the poll. Now, left clicking does nothing. Right clicking and choosing the “Open in New Window” option displays the standard “The page cannot be displayed” error message.

Any suggestions to resolve the latter issue would be much appreciated.

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    SP2 put some security things into WIN. It also turned on some of the features that you may have either never touched or turned off.

You need to enable java and javascript in IE. I would leave ActiveX and Active Scripting off, though.

DanH

3. Timberwolf

Feb 16, 2004
    Trinity, Los Alamos
    DanH,

I tried lowering my Java permissions to the lowest safety, but it still didn't work (I already had my ActiveX and Active Scripting disabled).

I appreciate your suggestion, though.

4. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

Jun 24, 2002
    San Diego
    Install firefox and be happy you have a better browser. It actually renders things properly (looks like IE) and is more secure. You get tabbed browsing which is great too. Definitly worth the switch.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/index.html

5. Timberwolf

Feb 16, 2004
    Trinity, Los Alamos
    Thanks, Mike.

I uninstalled SP2 and got back to where I was. I've considered firefox and will take another look at it. ;c

6. Jlarue

Jlarue GOOO SOONERS!!!

May 4, 2003
    Napa, CA
    In sp2 you may need to tweak the firewall that Windows installs as part of sp2, this may in fact solve the problem. Of course I also always suggest firefox over IE it's just a better browser.