close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Serious Question

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by TDS-US, Jan 21, 2010.

1. TDS-US

TDS-US

Sep 17, 2006
    TDS (Tactical Defense Solutions - site sponsor) recently had a fairly serious fire. The actual fire was contained to the office and showroom area which was a total loss. The warehouse area where ammo and such was kept received no damage at all.
    Now that the smoke has cleared there is the ungodly smell of burned wood everywhere. The cleanup crews are convinced that customers will complain about boxes of ammo that may possibly have a "woodsey" smell.

Personally none of us can smell it on the boxes and personally cant see what it matters as all of them were in a detached warehouse and untouched by heat, flame or crud smoke.
    The cleanup crews want to "ozone" the boxes/cases. Were hesitant as were unsure what if any affect the process will have.

All that said - I ask you, does the faint odor on a box of HST matter?
    Does anyone know what affect ozone has on ammunition?

2. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Feb 15, 2006
    Las Vegas
    I think you are fine. Offer full disclosure about the smoke smell and be prepared to give coupons or discounts to anyone who complains.

3. Catswold

Catswold God rules all!

Apr 23, 2009
    Houston

+1:wavey:

4. packinaglock

packinaglock John 3:16

May 1, 2007
    Loxahatchee Fl
    I wouldn't care, just let people know so they don't have to ask. My ammo gets plenty smoky when I have bonfires here at home and my G19 is on my side.

5. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Apr 25, 2009
    SE Colorado
    You might be used to the smell now that you've been around it, so you wouldn't smell it unless it's decently strong.

I'd buy it as long as it shoots. I don't know anything about how ozone would affect the ammo.

6. arizona_andy

arizona_andy Caliber Realist

Jul 14, 2007
    I agree.. you'll be fine.

7. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

Sorry to hear about the fire.

My thought is that if the smoke smell on the boxes become too much of a problem, maybe repackage the ammo in plain boxes and describe it as repackaged ammo and state the reason up front.

8. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Jan 1, 2010
    A cat box in WA
    Sorry to hear about the fire
    Hickory,Applewood or Alder:whistling:---------------sorry

9. dougader

dougader

Apr 17, 2004
    Ozone shouldn't have any effect on the quality of the ammo. Just don't sit there in the room breathing concentrated ozone.

10. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

I would not care one bit if the ammo smelled like wood smoke. I am actually fond of that order myself. :embarassed:

I would still buy it as long as it shoots like it is supposed to. Maybe if you would not take too much of a loss of the product, mark it down a little in price and put a disclaimer somewhere everybody can see before making a purchase as to the reason why.

I am also sorry to hear this happened in the first place. I hope you get everything back up and running quickly and safely! :wavey:

11. JustShoot-IT

JustShoot-IT GrudgingGlocker

Agree, it's too bad about your fire. I'm sure what did get damaged is causing you folks a lot of headaches w/o the added "what about ...?
    IMHO a discount with a disclosure statement would save a lot of hassle. But, I also like the smell of wood smoke - maybe you should raise the price and advertise it as SSA "specially seasoned ammo"!:whistling:

12. To me, repackaged ammo would look more suspicious ("if you had to repackage it, how badly was the original box burnt?"). An intact original box with original plastic/styrofoam tray would indicate that the ammo was not subjected to extreme heat of the fire.

13. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

Sep 20, 2004
    FEMA REGION III
    I agree. So long as there were no obvious problems on the box, that would indicate that the ammunition was subjected the fire, I would buy without hesitation. No problems.

14. das9mm26

das9mm26

Oct 27, 2009
    John, et al.....
    Very sorry to hear of the fire ......Glad it wasn't worse, but NO fire's a "good" one when it's YOURS.....:crying:
    AFA the smell on the boxes....I really wouldn't be concerned....as long as there's no physical damage to the packaging or its contents...smell should NOT be an issue (OK....the musty smell that Tylenol recalled over WAS an INTERNAL chemical issue...and the product was a consumable....).
    Good Luck! I'm still planning on getting down to Dover....when I'm done shoveling snow!!!!:whistling:

15. G23c

G23c

Jan 23, 2009
    houston, texas
    sorry to hear about the fire. the smokey smell wouldn't bother me as long as its disclosed. good luck!

16. jimbojoker

jimbojoker

Nov 12, 2007
    Don't use ozone.

Ozone will have an effect on ammo. The O3 will oxidize the crap out of brass and lead. Probably won’t be that bad, but depends on the O3 concentration and dwell time. O3 reduces odor by breaking down (oxidizing) odor causing agents in the soot. It will oxidize pretty much anything that it comes in contact with including lead and brass.

17. TDS-US

TDS-US

Sep 17, 2006
    Thats pretty much what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation. Right now we're all of the opinion there isnt enough odor to worry about.

Damn near cried tonight when I sent out a truckload of pistols and AR's all perfectly new if it wasn't for the tar like crud on them :crying:

18. napp32

napp32

Dec 19, 2009
    Coincidentally, I just received 2 boxes of Federal .40 cal HST from TDS yesterday. I'm not sure if it was shipped before the fire or not; but I gave it the sniff test when I read this thread....no smoke odor whatsoever.

Sorry to hear about the fire, guys. Hope you get everything back to normal soon. Thanks for the fast shipping on the aforementioned ammo.