close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Serious Hunters- Would Would You Do?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GLWyandotte, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Keoking

Keoking

Jan 4, 2005
    Rowlett, TX
    <--- Sees plenty of people on the news who don't really want their kids to be better off then they were.
    <--- Grew up poor but had parents who sacrificed a lot to give him opportunities to get ahead.
    <--- Is willing to forego fancy vacations for the rest of his life to try to guarantee an easier life for his wife and kid 10, 20, 30 years from now.

2. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    Get out of the private sector. You will probably take a pay cut but you will not be at the wrath of some goofball who just cares about greenbacks (in their pocket not yours). Ok private sector guys lets hear it............lets hear about how hard you work banging out those 9-5'ers monday-friday. Tell me how hard you guys work and how I just walk to the mailbox every two weeks and make like 540K a month.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

3. Quit the job and go hunting.

Get a job with the Post Office or American Airlines. Maybe you should consider moving to the San Jose area and work for Solyndra?

4. RCP

RCP

Jul 2, 2007
    Celina, TX
    Wish I had problems like this, in my field I'm luck to have Christmas Day off.:rofl:

5. Unk

Unk

Jul 27, 2010
    West Central FL
    Face it, she hates your guts..her policy applies to...YOU. If you were sick or God forbid died, the new account would be serviced. Curious if precedents on vacation cancellations..are vacations routinely cancelled [or re-scheduled] for the companies convenience which is not the same as a managers convenience.

You mention only able to take 3 weeks of the 5 you are entitled to..are you paid for the vacation not taken..or can you accrue earned but unused vacation to be paid [cashed out] at your option?

My experience has been that managers who preach deferred gratification seldom practice it.

'splain the facts to your daughter, then do your job for the family and set up a special Father-Daughter activity that will help her know how special she is to you.

Curious how you feel this manager usually treats you and your peers...may be over her head and under pressures of which you are unaware...someone higher in her food chain TOLD her what to do.

Best.

6. Bruce H

Bruce H

Dec 5, 2000
    missouri
    Does your bosses boss know anything about your business or is she just another management tool?

7. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

She is sharp and knows our business, but like all in her position, she literally could not do any job her subordinates do daily. I find this amazing. I can and do help my employees in every capacity and pride myself on no job being "beneath" me.

8. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon

I hope your daughter is not seeing you pout about this.

9. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

No she's not........but yours is.....:devildance:

10. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    Your words: "She is attempting to pull my deer hunting vacation, which begins 11/3".

Bottom line, can she pull it? If not don't worry about it, but be aware of consequences, whether right or wrong. What do your employee policies say?

11. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

Aug 31, 2004
    Houston, TX
    All quibbling aside, a 13 year career with a company is a high price to pay for a deer hunting trip. If this boss is sticking it to you and treating you poorly, the smart move is to play along, work through the vacation and start job hunting.

Don't burn a bridge until you have another one built. You have a family and responsibilities to them. Don't gamble with their welfare and security.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  12. Do what she asks, but start your job search now. It may take you a while to find something but someone will appreciate you and your abilities. Don't hide behind "the economy" because whether employment trends are up or down, business' are hiring all the time.

As far as being too old to start over, I'm 51 and I have 2 job interviews scheduled.....

13. professorpinki

professorpinki Bumbling idjit

Jun 4, 2012
    There's an opportunity to learn in everything.

Also, consider what you would do in your boss's boss's position. I know I'd have done the same thing, explain the situation, and if you complained too much or in a public forum I'd replace you ASAP.

14. You said the magic words "proprietary software"...and I knew your vacation was cancelled. New client, proprietary software, firm deadline...you know your business, but it seems like the writing is on the wall.

Instead of fighting it you might do better canceling your vacation yourself and getting this project done...THEN take some personal time for yourself and your family. If you happen to have extra time you might want to put out a few feelers in the job market...

I know this advice sucks...but it's business, not friendness, and certainly not familyness.

15. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

Apr 17, 2000
    drexel hill pa
    what do u think?:whistling:
    good thing your not going on a honeymoon!! imo..
    :whistling:

16. BAILIFF

BAILIFF Piece Officer

Oct 14, 2006
    I'm over here now.
    • Forego the vacation, do the work.
    • Take your kid to Disney for Xmas vacation or mid-winter break.
    • Revenge is a dish that tastes best when cold...