close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Series 80 for custom work

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by mholl26, Mar 3, 2010.

1. mholl26

mholl26

Sep 23, 2007
    I have decided that I am going to have a custom pistol done and have been looking for a series 70 to serve as a base gun. I have recently found a mid-80s production series 80 Gold Cup National Match at a good price so I am wondering how would that work? Is the series 80 something I should pass on given my goals or are the differences with a series 70 not that important?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  2. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    I have a built series 80 and I love it. I sent it back to Colt for a bushing and barrel fit, dehorn, front strap serrations, 3.5# trigger job. I then had a 10-8 NM rear sight installed with a Novak gold bead front. I put an Ed Brown arched serrated MSH and a Harrison short, black hard use trigger in it. Just got it back from Novak's yesterday. Hittin' the range this afternoon!

3. zdragon23c

zdragon23c s&w&me

Dec 23, 2007
    usa
    my suggestion..... go shoot a series80 and remove all doubt.
    [​IMG]

4. I have a series 80 that is basically stock and the trigger is not really bad at all.
    It is a little more work to take apart and put back together, but other than that it doesn't bother me.
    If this is going to be a carry gun for self defense I think the series 80 serves the purpose just fine. Firing pin block actually is a good thing, even though I didn't like them at first. I was a 1911 purist at that time.
    I carry a Glock now so the firing pin block series 80 is ok with me.
    If it is a competition or target gun I would go for the series 70.

5. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

May 27, 1999
    Oh, USA
    Partly depends on the price of the GC. I would look at a new S70 repro or WWII repro if you are going for a retro/classic style gun because of the slide markings and slide top on the GC. If you are going for a more modern look or are looking at a more performance oriented gun where you don't much care about looks then the GC might suit you well.

I would not expect to save any money because it is a Gold Cup, they did not have much extra put into them other in terms of fitting etc other than a slight difference in the trigger mechanism, the slide and sight cuts and the adjutable sights. In fact, you may find the sight cuts a problem if you want modern tactical sights.

I would ask the smith you want to do the work what he would rather start with.