close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Sellier and Bellot 9 mm

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Outerlimits, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Outerlimits

Outerlimits

Jan 24, 2009
    Maryland
    Was at the range yesterday with my G17, the table next to me a guy was shooting a 9mm also. When he was leaving, he had 4 rounds left of 9mm and gave them to me. I was shooting Remington and stuck them in the foam tray in the box. The first thing I noticed is they were longer than the Remington 9mm in the tray. So I asked him what kind of ammo was it. He showed me the empty box and it was Sellier and Bellot. It said on the box 124 grain, fmj. said he gets it cheap and it runs fine in his guns. We shot side by side for an hour and I never saw any feed issues or fail to fire. I put them in a magazine and made sure they chambered alright and fired them. Seemed ok, just noticed a little more recoil than the Remington. Has anyone else shot this ammo. Just wondering if its me, or is it a hotter round. Didnt say +p on the box that I noticed.

2. Powder

Powder

Aug 26, 2003
    Tampa, FL
    Those chronoed faster in my G26 than the Winchester NATO 124gr. Never had any issues with them.

3. Boris Bush

Boris Bush chopnchixnnecks

Jun 16, 2008
    +P is a buzz word. The S&B is loaded to C.I.P. spec. They have no so called +P spec and standard pressure 9x19mm ammo is loaded to 39,200 psi. The ammo you shot is more in line with the NATO pressure range which is hotter than vaginized so called "+P" 9mm ammo loaded in the USA. Try some european loaded Fiocchi, it is alot hotter too.

The box won't say +P, but if it were loaded here in the USA it would not even be able to be labeled +P, it is too hot. Supposedly:dunno:.

Keep shooting it, its better than the watered down crud we have available made here...........

4. Jim

Jim

Jan 23, 2000
    Illinois
    OTOH, I had some S&B 115 gr fmj from about 2001 that chronographed slightly slower than 115 WWB. Go figure...

5. 98_1LE

98_1LE

Oct 17, 2005
    I have a shot a lot of .45acp S&B and really like it. Used to get it for $10 a box...

In the past 6-months I have shot 1k rounds of S&B 9mm, and have another thousand on the shelf. Wish I had a pallet of it.

[​IMG]

I am not familiar with C.I.P., but +P is a SAAMI thing.

6. gunsnhoses

gunsnhoses

Jan 30, 2008
  7. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

Aug 10, 2008
    NC,USA

i think its the 124gr. loaded to NATO

8. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    It's always shot good for me out of my guns.

9. D-GLOCK17

D-GLOCK17 GLOCKER

Aug 22, 2007
    SC
    Man, that is some good shooting, despite the 'flyer'!

10. fran m

fran m

Mar 7, 2005
    drexel hill pa
    Have some and shot it at an indoor range. It sparked when it hit the back stop which I believe is steel plate. The range officer said that it was copper jacketed steel core and did not want me to shoot any more of it because it would damage the backstop.

Shot fine in my G19. Did not seem hot.

Fran M

11. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

Aug 10, 2008
    NC,USA

the stuff i shoot is 124gr. in white box that says "range safe" and is not steel core. it has the C.I.P. stamp and is hot. not as hot as my carry HST 124gr.+P but close. without a croney it may just be recoil perception but...

12. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

Just a heads up; S&B does not have a steel core or it would fall under AP handgun ammo. Some of the ammo in 9mm, but not all, use a mild steel bullet jacket. Every sample 9mm load that I have that has a cupro-nickel (silver color) bullet jacket is magnetic, but none of the Range Safe loads have a steel jacket; only a steel case. The current S&B 9mm, when you can find it, should not have a mild steel bullet jacket. If they do, then it seems that S&B is doing so to cut costs by using less copper and more cheap steel.

BTW, I found the Range Safe 9mm quite accurate and totally reliable out of 1K that I've shot up.

13. tedg-23

tedg-23 PROUD AMERICAN!

Mar 25, 2007
    N.W.Michigan
    Bought a case of it a couple years ago and wish I`d bought the whole pallet now. Good stuff!

14. I have never heard of this term. Is there somewhere I can read more about it?

Also, how can you tell if ammo is loaded to "C.I.P. spec"?

15. Boris Bush

Jun 16, 2008

Read here. The CIP web site is in French and I cann't read that crap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commis...nte_pour_l'Epreuve_des_Armes_à_Feu_Portatives

You can tell if ammo is loaded to CIP spec by reading the box. It will say C.I.P. on it somewhere. European ammo will always be loaded within CIP specs and CIP is well known to load some calibers to a much higher pressure limit. They also have no +P . Instead they have one limit. CIP 9mm pressure is 39,200. If S&B or Fiocchi is loaded to near the limit for CIP it will be loaded hotter than SAAMI +P rated ammo for 9mm.

16. 98_1LE

98_1LE

Oct 17, 2005
    FWIW the S&B 115gr 9mm I have has no steel in the projectile that my magnet can detect. The same magnet picks up Wolf 7.62x39 every time by the tip.

I don't mind shooting steel jacketed ammo through chrome lined bore AK's, but would not shoot it through a match pistol barrel on one of my range only pistols.

17. fran m

fran m

Mar 7, 2005
    drexel hill pa
    The stuff I was shooting was brass cased. The jacket looked like copper. I don't know if the bullet itself is magnetic, I'll check. The primer has red covering it, (sealer?).

It shot fine, never a problem. I suspect if the range officer was not on the ball he would not have noticed the sparking. I noticed it but thought nothing of it. I took his word that it was steel core. Is the bullet lead with some steel mixed in?

Fran M

18. Boris Bush

Jun 16, 2008

The ammo you shot has a bi-metal jacket. Copper washed very soft steel. Regular S&B will have a brass jacket.