close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Self install night sights?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Z71, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Z71

Z71
    Expand Collapse

I want to re-shod both my G17 and G19 with new night sights.

Really don't want to send it off...take it 60 miles to an armorer...buy a $100 rear sight tool...I just want to order some sights..knock the plastic ones off..stick my new sights on myself.

I've seen references that Ameriglo and Tru-Dot both have night sight set-ups that an owner can install with no major fuss..however I can't find any reference to which sights I need from any major source.

What night sights do I need and where to order the right sights for no-tool instalation?

Thanx..Z

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. obrieri

obrieri
    Expand Collapse

You can do it with a flat head screw driver and a mallet if you are very careful. There are several youtube videos that show how to do it.

3. Glock40man

Glock40man
    Expand Collapse

4. SJ 40

SJ 40
    Expand Collapse

These are the best internet instructions with out sight tool I have come across and he is a professional,not some hack.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4maCQhEIjoA"]Installing Glock Sights with Dave Dawson - YouTube[/ame] SJ 40

5. AK47Man

AK47Man
    Expand Collapse
    Expert Marksman

I used a wood doll rod on the rear sights with a small hammer to remove and install my night sights...Lone Wolf front sight tool for the rest...Make sure you use some BLUE Lock-Tite on the front sight..!! And to NOT over tighten it..!!...

#5 AK47Man, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

And after the BLUE Lok-tite fails, switch to a RED variant next time :)

#6 cowboy1964, Aug 21, 2012
  7. tonyparson

tonyparson
    Expand Collapse

Very good video. Thats exactly how I install my night sights...

8. eschang1

eschang1
    Expand Collapse

I am not a gunsmith but I was able to install a lot of different sights myself. The MGW tool helps, but if you don't want to spend the money on the tool, you can get by with an appropriate punch to drift the sight on and a padded vise to hold the slide in place. I used a steel punch and covered the end with a piece of brass and painter's tape. The plastic rear sight drifts out pretty easily. New metal rear sights take a bit more work. Sometimes the dovetail area is oversized and requires fitting with a file. I got a dovetail file from Brownell's that works well for this task. If the sights have an oversized dovetail, then you will have to hit it way too hard to drift them on, which is not recommended. For the front sight, I used the Glock front sight tool and some red Loctite. I degreased the area before attaching the new front sight. If you are unsure of what to do and don't want to damage your sights/slide, you should consider sending it out to a professional.

#8 eschang1, Aug 21, 2012
  9. sciolist

sciolist
    Expand Collapse

Go by Dave's video above, and Dawson is a great source for products.

10. Snaps

Snaps
    Expand Collapse
    Hail 2 The King

Speaking as a current LE armorer, former mil armorer and gunsmith, it's idiotic to send a glock out for sights.

Brass punch, hammer, small steel punch. Drift out the rear sight and knock the new one in, I'd put a small grease pen mark or something similiar on the slide for a ref point.

Flip the slide upside down, knock that sight out with one shot, put the new one in, thread the small hex screw in. Viola new sights in less than 5 mins.

That being said, I made a LOT of money doing Glock sights for people, mainly cops who'd just wanna change them out becuase everybody is afraid to do it themselves

EDIT: oh yea, if you plan to do this kinda thing or really another work often you might wanna invest in a nylon bench block.

#10 Snaps, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  11. NEOH212

NEOH212
    Expand Collapse
    Diesel Girl

If you own more than one Glock, you should just buy the sight tools.

You'll thank yourself later!

:wavey:

12. arushus

arushus
    Expand Collapse
    Biggest Member

XS big dot night sights come with everything you need to install them yourself.

13. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls
    Expand Collapse

+1. I never thought I could install my own sights before. Always had a shop do it. Until I bought the Big dots. The tools they include are worth it. It was extremely easy for me. I was shocked.

14. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie
    Expand Collapse
    Regular Guy

Just put new 10-8 sights on my G27 in about 30 minutes with a small hammer, paper towel, brass punch and blue Loc-Tite.

15. simotek

simotek
    Expand Collapse

This thread has given me the balls to attempt my own install.

16. SJ 40

SJ 40
    Expand Collapse

I've done 5 so far ,it's really not that difficult to do. You too can do it ! SJ 40

17. ak103k

ak103k
    Expand Collapse

This is your answer if you want to go the easy route. If youre changing out old night sights, you can recoup the cost of the tools by selling the old sights on EBay. I did this with my SIG tool, and was getting half what a new set of night sights cost selling them on EBay. Two sets nearly paid for the tool.

I know a lot of people do it, but I dont like beating on the night sights with a hammer and punch. They cost enough as it is, why risk busting a vial installing them.

If the rear sight is overly tight, dont force it. You adjust the fit with a sheet of fine emery, and run the base of the sight flat across it on a hard, flat surface. Dont file or sand on the sides or on the guns dovetail.

Another advantage to the tool is, it allows for easy rear sight adjustments. You dont even have to take the side off the gun to do it either.

18. AquaHull

AquaHull
    Expand Collapse

I have some Trijicon HD's coming in the mail on Saturday the tracking info tells me. I will look at the videos provided here. I'm glad I used the search function instead of starting a new thread and hearing about that also.

19. ghostrider88

ghostrider88
    Expand Collapse

MGW sight tool 7 min sight installation and thats taking my time. :cool:

20. bustedknee

bustedknee
    Expand Collapse
    Curmudgeon

#20 bustedknee, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012