Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Self Defense Shells

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by ContractSoldier, Apr 1, 2010.

1. ContractSoldier

Nov 15, 2007
    Could anyone recommend a good brand of 12 gauge shells for self defense?.

I'm thinking about the LEO Federal Premium 2 3/4 00 buck with flight control.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  2. Meat-Hook

Mar 13, 2002
    you already nailed it.

with what you said, thats all you need.

Some will say: "use bird shot". Some will say: "Use a bean bag round".

"it will go thru your walls and kill your neighbors".

If its that bad,...then dont use a firearm. Call 911 and sit on your bed. Hoping for the best with a can of pepper spray.

Otherwise let it rip with the appropriate ammunition that will do the job with *one* shot at living-room distance and be done.

3. load a nice bird shot first then follow it w/ buck shot. if he isnt put down by the bird and is still advancing thats perfect example of necessary force. i dont know anybody that can tank a 12ga shell to the chest at interior home distances and keep advancing on you.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  4. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Feb 18, 2010
    I heard and I've read that #1 is the best manstopper.
    Plus it doesn't over penetrate as bad as 00 Buck...
    But they both work, just choose one and you'll be set.
  5. SiNNiK

Oct 27, 2008
    Austin, Tx.
    Hornady TAP FPD 00 buckshot.

They use 8 pellets instead of 9 to reduce recoil so it remains full bore with a little less kick and they come in two flavors, slow and fast. Federal uses 9 pellets and just makes theirs with less punch to reduce recoil.

Hornady uses low flash powder also in order to save your vision in low light situations.
  6. Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
  7. I think any of the major brand reduced recoil/tactical rounds will work. I'm not that fond of birdshot, given that it has a hard time killing birds, but 00, 1, or 4 Buck all seem to work well within their usual parameters.
  8. .....
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  9. dosei

Mar 22, 2005
    Upstate SC
    I hope you are not under the delusion that bird shot is a "less lethal" option...great way to set yourself up to go bankrupt after a SD shooting if you actually think that.
  10. gnasty1521

Feb 15, 2010
    DFW, TX
    Yeah I agree with 00 buck. Think about it, if you "have" to shoot, don't you want it to end there? Plus the deader they are the less they can say how they knew you, you said they could stop by, they were checking in on an old friend, they were drunk and walked in the wrong house, etc etc etc.... The less story the better. Plus, courts want all the ammo they can against the second amendment, and birdshot as self-defense round will give them just that because now you have a maimed BG.
  11. GenoTac Ind.

GenoTac Ind. |KYDEX GEAR>

Jun 22, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    I use the Federal and Remington LE Reduced Recoil 9 pellet 00. Good stuff fast follow ups, but then again I also have the Knoxx Spec Ops stock. With that said I have a box of 15 3" Magnum 00 15 pellets handy if that sissy ***** doesn't work.:tongueout:
  12. ContractSoldier

Nov 15, 2007
    I went to a local sporting goods store and got lowest priced 12 gauge 00 buck they sold, Remington 2 3/4 00 buck 9 pellet. I dont think i could go wrong with this shell. I think this will be more then enough for home defense.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  13. My 870 is loaded up with full power Federal Flitecontrol 00 buck.
  14. Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    It does not matter much for inside the house ranges -

Any buckshot - take your pick on the size (#1, 0,00,000) from a major ammo company will get the job done.

IMHO it is a good idea to test pattern your gun - if the pattern is all over the place may try a different brand - but I will guess at inside the house ranges you will be putting lead on the target no matter what brand you are using.
  15. Might be a factor of what birds you are killing and what bird loads you are using.
  16. dudehacker

Jan 31, 2009
    Myrtle Beach
    mine too. :winkie:
  17. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

Jan 16, 2010
    Normally I would just use Winchester 00 Buck, which i BELIEVE Dick's had for like $10-12 for 15 shells I believe... and I keep a bunch of their specials of 25 Remington target loads, usually 7 or 8shot, for $8.97, I keep a bunch of those boxes on hand just in case.

But recently they have been closing out Hornady 00 Buck TAP Personal Defense , 5 shells for $7.97, and I have been picking them up and stocking them away just in case as well. The Dick;s shotgun shelves around me have been pretty bare, PLENTY of the Remington $9 target load 25/shell boxes, but scraps otherwise. THE ONLY Slugs they had yesterday were basic plane jane Rem slugs... and NO 00 Buck except huge expensive packs or the Hornady TAP ones.. ? (Why close them out when they're like the only 00 Buck 5 packs they have to offer/sell?)
  18. My ego doesn't get in the way. I use Hornady TAP Low Recoil 00 buck, because the guy on the other end doesn't care if it hits him at 1600 or 1100, it's still going to hurt, helps with second picture and over penetration and as long as he's within 20 yards, he's going to know it hit him.
  19. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

Jan 16, 2010

:tongueout::wavey::yourock: Excellent point and post.

Badguy still gonna go :faint:
  20. K.Kiser

Jan 23, 2010
    Shreveport, La.
    You Guy's that have a hard time killing birds with birdshot @ 5 yards need take some training courses, and I don't plan on encountering bad Guy's that are flying 20' off the ground @ 30 mph and 25 yards away... Overpenetration in a home is a very real situation and no Man is gonna take 660 grains of shot traveling @ 1250 fps in the upper torso and do anything but die, that's more than 3x the impact of a very agressive .45 ACP round... Inside of a home, no more than high brass squirrel shot... A good Friend that I went to high school with has now been a detective for 12 years has yet to see a survivor of any sort of shotgun blast to the torso at home defense distances... Outdoors, shoot'em with whatever You want... Not that I'm an elite, but I've been shooting guns My whole life and tens of thousands of shotguns shells at most everything and all distances... Shoot a bad Guy in the upper torso inside a home, and He won't bother anyone ever again...