close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

see something for sale so you build it

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jellis11, Aug 8, 2012.

1. jellis11

jellis11 Yippee-ki-yay

The Harbor Freight thread made me think of this.

Do you guys ever see something at the store or in a magazine that is pretty cool... but costs way too much *usually made of wood* So you just build it?

I am not a good wood worker by any means. My wife gets pottery barn and some other catalog all the time and I see things in there that are pretty cool. Just the other day I saw some shelving in a set. A 4', 3', and 2' self. It was over $200 for the set! It had the exact dimensions in the catalog so I went to the store, got some wood... cut, sanded, stained then got some brackets and made the EXACT same thing for $40! Did some little halloween and christmas signs last year I saw and doing the same this year.

Makes me think people really overpay for connivence and makes me feel like I can make something too!

2. XDRoX

XDRoX

Up up down down left right left right A B select start :supergrin:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Sure. Done it many times. My last was a stool so my kid could pee @ the toilet. Used a Dremel to cut out his name in the top. Turned out quite well. I'll be back if I can find a pic. :)

EDIT; the left and right sides have reliefed hand-holds so he can easily grasp and move it. We live in a log cabin, so I matched the stain to the logs.

He's gotten good use outta it!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  4. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I'm not to handy with woodwork, but I am with Steele. I made my own V8 swap mounts for my S-10 that are identical to some that can be purchased online.

5. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I used to make steel tools for steering wheel pullers, disc brake compressors (Suby pads needed to be screwed in), all kinds of hoisting adapters for engines. Body/frame jigs for pulling/pushing.

I love to work with steel so some times I make stuff just because I can.

6. youngdocglock

youngdocglock

YES! i saw a hand folded katana made from steel ore in japan made by a master sword maker for like $5,000. So i researched making steel from coal in a home made deep pit oven. Then talked to a buddy of mine thats a blacksmith.

One weekend we decided to try it out. Made some nice steel. then a weekend chop job turned into a 8 day event.

Result? Hand made katana. Steel folded 5,000 times at the end. strong enough to put in a vice and crank on for hours without breaking and sharp enough to cut a man in half. Coolest thing i've ever made. Its hanging in his shop now next to about 20 photos of the creation process :)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  7. 427

Yes. It's not wood but along the same lines - machining.

My dad is a retired machinist/tool and die maker and I'm trying to learn as much as I can while he's still here. I never realized that with his skills (40+ years of experience), access to the right tools and metals he can make pretty much anything he wants.

I have a few projects I'd like to do/learn. A couple of them are firearms related...

8. youngdocglock

youngdocglock

heck if you get good enough on machines. you can MAKE your own gun outright. slide, frame.........skies the limit

9. G23Gen4TX

G23Gen4TX

10. k9medic

k9medic

I saw a couple of HMMWVs for sale but the seller wouldn't budge on the price. I decided to buy some CAD drawings of a HMMWV and build something similar myself (on a 3/4 ton suburban frame though)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it will look something like this
    [​IMG][/IMG]

11. RedTop

RedTop

K9medic - That's great!

12. Disintegr8or

Disintegr8or

Wow that is awesome! K9medic

Yes. I build a LOT of distressed tables and furniture similar to Pottery Barn out of $20 worth of spruce and pine and sell it on CL for a couple hundred bucks each.

13. Tackle

Tackle

I'm in the process of designing a bed frame to make. The ones in my price range are ,made of particle board. The hard wood ones cost at least double. I should be able to make it with cedar for less than the cheap ones.

Helped my dad build a dock. Saved quite a bit, sold it for profit.

14. CLoft239

CLoft239 I Like Turtles

Contra FTW!

Sent from the Titanic. I named my phone "The Titanic" so when I plug it into the computer it says "The Titanic is syncing".

15. FireCop-G19

FireCop-G19

All the time! I have built about half of my home gym in my shop. Plus some implements for my brother to unroll his large round hay bales. Installed a 5.3L Vortec into my 85 GMC and made all the swap brackets for that.

When making my gym equipment, I can take the best feature of different makers and combine them into one machine that has everything I want/like/need.

Working for a fab shop helps, I can get steel dirt cheap. And whatever is in the scrap bin is all free.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Have you considered making something different looking? I'm all for it, but I'd be tempted to either give it an original look or at least an unpurchaseable prototype look if I went to the trouble of making it myself. Of course, following the CAD drawings probably is a lot less work.

17. devildog2067

devildog2067

Sure--I like to make stuff. It's fun.

On the other hand, my time is valuable too.

So I only build stuff if I think it'll be fun. Otherwise, even if it's overpriced, I'll just buy.

18. k9medic

k9medic

I had to have the CAD drawings for the parts to fit correctly. The rear quarter panels are factory panels as is the hood. There are a few guys who have put their own flair on it though.

The purpose of this beat is to tow my boat. I'll be setting it up with 3 rows of seats and a full roll bar. (Think really big jeep). Right now it's on 37" tires on 20" rims.

Some guys go all out with accuracy while others take creative design. I like the H1/M998 design but I have to make it practical for me.

All out accurate -

[​IMG]

Creative design -

[​IMG]

19. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

You will be posting all those photos..right?:wavey:

20. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Why buy Adirondack Chairs for $90 to $130 apiece, when I can make them for $15.00-$20.00??

A bunch of years ago, my wife spotted a kitchen trashcan made from wood, at a crafters' show.
    She bought the thing for $85.00.

My Mom and my M-I-L liked it, so, I duplicated it.
    Bought a kit from Sears, kinda like a pantograph, that allows you to use a router and a pattern and cut a design in wood.

Started banging these things out, like crazy.
    My wife took 15 of them to work, for a 'craft fair' and sold every one of them for $90 apiece. (I had $13.00 in wood, in each one of 'em.) Slap some stain on it. . . . let 'er go!

Some had cows on the top. Some had chickens. A couple of them had "Trash" routed on the top. (Quite unique lid, huh!?!?!?!!?):supergrin: