Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Secure SUV cargo storage

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by leadcounsel, Aug 15, 2006.

1. leadcounsel

Sep 20, 2005
    I have a 2004 4Runner.

I'm interested in a lockable box for the rear cargo area, which would take up about 1/3rd of the available space. I'm intending to store your typical roadside emergency gear but want it to be secured and lockable for other valuable items, including a laptop, truck gun, ammo, or anything else one might want to secure.

I built one from plywood and 2x4s and it turned out okay, but it's extremely heavy at about 100 lbs. I'd like something of durable plastic that weights a lot less.

I once saw a product that replaced the vacant space beneath the rear seats with a drawer. Anyone know of such a product?

I'm considering a steel or aluminum full or pickup truck style lockable wing style or traditional lid.

Any thoughts?

2. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    Yup, do what I did: Get a Honda Ridgeline and you get a trunk along with your pickup bed. The design is great and the truck is absolutely fabulous in every respect.

3. leadcounsel

Sep 20, 2005
    Great idea! I think I'll just go out and spend $30,000 for a new vehicle just so I can have a trunk.

Actually, I'm thinking along the lines of a steel or aluminum truck tool box. Used they're about $100.
  4. Asha'man

Asha'man eat the eat!

Jan 13, 2004
    Don't forget that you'd be seriously downgrading as far as offroad capability. :)

A metal box is probably your best bet. I know stuff rolls around in the back of my '86 all the time and it's hard to keep valuables back there because it's so open.

5. Ljunatic

Ljunatic On The Fringe

Oct 23, 2001
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    SUV Cargo caddy

I have not used one , so I don't know how secure the locks are. Price is reasonable