Seatbelt cutter

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by 2bgop, Feb 3, 2013.

1. I want to add a seatbelt cutter to my vehicles, but after researching, I am still not sure what I want. Thought I would ask those who actually use them on a somewhat regular basis.

Do I want a hook type cutter or just a good quality serrated knife?

Thanks for any advise.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Get a good sharp knife. That way you can use it for other things as well. The times that you'll actually need to use it to cut a seatbelt will be incredibly rare. The times you need a sharp knife for something or other will be much more common.

3. I have the v-cutter. A serrated lads and reg blade knives.

What I suggest is a decent quality knife that is always with you.

All the a I've will work. As long as its within arms reach.

A tool "in" the car may. Of work out so well if you can't get to it.

4. Benchmade Safety Cutter

[​IMG]

5. I have a new Mora in each vehicle already, I just didn't know if I would be better off with a serrated edge, mostly because of the seatbelt issue.

6. These are great. They're cheap and work great, I keep on on my keys.

Sent from my Obama phone.

7. Knute

Knute "Nothin"

I've used the seat belt cutter on one of my folding pocket knives a few times. Worked like a charm. I think it was a Smith & Wesson knife and pretty darn cheap.

You'll need a knife more often than a seat belt cutter. If you always carry a knife that has the seat belt cutter, then you will always have it with you. If you have a dedicated one that you leave in your car...well sometimes you can find it in a pinch, and sometimes you can't. But you will have had to leave the scene where you needed it to go back to your car and find it.

8. Mil-surplus parachute line/riser cutter. A knife works just as well though.

9. BlisteringSilence

BlisteringSilence Secret Squirrel

Another vote here. I have a couple, including on my personal keychain.

Though, to be fair, I use the window punch more than I use the seatbelt cutter.

10. I have one of these on my duty belt and it has been used to cut clothing. It worked quite well.

We have the Resqme cutter/glass punches on all our work vehicle key rings.

11. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I thought it was going to be a very good idea and then looked at most cars and saw that there will be more than enough space to cut the belt without worrying about poking the occupant... just go where the belt connects to the seat or car frame.

Then again, yeah, there's gonna be that one time where you can't reach anything but the belt that is on the occupant because the car is so twisted up, right? Well... not sure if the occupant will still be alive then anyway... or if I should be moving the occupant at that point if it is that serious of an injury.

Okay... fine, what if the car is on fire or if the car is sinking into quicksand and also twisted up and I can't get to any open areas on the belt? Fine... I'll cut judiciously around the occupant, I think I can manage that without doing that much damage to the occupant... I am not that big of a klutz.

12. +1, I have one on my BOB and used it on a med call this summer when the firefighters somehow couldn't find their sheers; cut through the shirt like a hot knife through butter.

That said, I've got a few knives on me that are even sharper and would be my tool of choice to cut a seatbelt.

13. I love seatbelts - saved my life in a head on with a drunk - before airbags. Don't know how often (other than movies and tv) the seat belt release doesn't work. Maybe some on scene pros can advise us.

I do know quicksand all too well....but can't envision a car in quicksand...even if it were airdropped into some quicksand, quicksand isn't "quick"...especially for a car....just sayin'

14. I used to carry my Maxam pocket knife which is black plastic with an integral pocket clip. The blade is 3" long and partially serrated like a Spyderco. The top of the blade has a SBC, and because of that, I learned the hard way to not carry it in my pocket. The SBC feature's point has stuck me on more than one occasion while sticking my hand in my pocket. Now it sits in my patrol bag. So the point is, if you get a knife or tool with the SBC feature, make sure it is pocket friendly so you don't get the point.

15. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Sometimes it isn't so much of a matter of the release not working as it is actually getting to it when doors are jammed shut, there is cabin intrusion from the collision, the occupants are immobilized, unconscious, bleeding, dead, etc. Even with all of that, if you are able to click the release, you cannot generally remove the belt without manipulating the occupant, which you often do not want to for either medical or evidentiary purposes.

16. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

I love a good Mora. I have two of them, both carbon steel. They are plenty sharp and would cut a seatbelt with ease, no need for a serrated edge.

I personally have never needed a seatbelt cutter. Its too much of a unitasker IMO for me to buy and carry one around.

17. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-River-Knife-M16-14ZER-Carson/dp/B004NJ04H8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360007245&sr=8-3&keywords=crkt+m16-14"]Columbia River Knife And Tool'S M16-14ZER Kit Carson E.R. Combo Edge Knife - Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31NANYIjv8L.@@AMEPARAM@@31NANYIjv8L[/ame]

Like Butter, plus you have a tanto for stabby purposes, and a glass break.

18. larry_minn

Silver Member Millennium Member

I have to agree. The PERFECT, only useable for single use stuff makes a true "Bat Belt" (and sore back) I also have a few knives with seat belt cutter, window breaker, and standard blades. (half serriated) IIRC it was less then $15.

19. I have the Benchmade attached right to my seat belt where I clip in. I also carried one on duty with my window punch and trauma shears. Regardless what you choose...better to have and not need versus need and not have. Just make sure it's attached and easily available with one hand.