close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Search Function, Equipment Problems, Paid Tier. -- Please Read

Discussion in 'Paid Membership System' started by Eric, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Moderator

Jan 1, 1970
    Many of you probably noticed the down time last night. The primary database server has been acting up for a while and suffered a more serious problem last night. I have transferred its duties to a backup server, that is newer, but not as powerful. As before, the problem occurred with the use of the most resource-intensive function of the site: The search function. The search index table is once again corrupted and it will take some time to rebuild it. Due to the amount of time it will take to re-index the search
    system, I am not going to do so until I have upgraded GT to the newest forum of the vBulletin software that powers it, preparatory to the paid tier launch. I am hoping to have the software upgrade accomplished by this weekend. &nbsp;Until then, I will turn the search function back on, but it will only be indexing and searching recent messages. I apologize for the inconvenience.<br><br>The paid tier, the basic functions of it anyway, &nbsp;is almost ready to launch. It has been a n enormous amount of work to get
    it this far. I am running out of time to make this happen though. The database problems, and other financial concerns, are not going to wait for the launch. What I would like to do is begin pre-selling paid memberships now, to start generating income so I can get things caught up. The site software upgrade will happen this week or weekend and once that occurs, the features and functions of the paid tier will begin going online. What I was thinking is that we would consider August a soft opening for the paid tier.
    We have a grand opening for the system in September, with some drawing for some prizes. Anyone who buys a membership from this point on will be eligible for the drawings and the clock won't start ticking on anyone's membership until the basic tier is officially finished.<br><br>I have given the tier prices a lot of thought. What I have settled on is a three-tiered structure, priced at $40, $60 and $80 dollars a year. We will offer each tier membership for pre-sale at a reduced cost and as the new features come
    online, you will have access to them based on the membership option you chose. Folks, I know a lot of you will not want to commit to this without seeing the finished product. Without seeing what you are buying. I am not trying to sell anyone a pig in a poke. I have committed ten years of my life to this site I want to see the site continue and I want to see this new tiered membership succeed. I will do everything in my power to satisfy everyone's expectations. I can't promise more than that. I already have some
    great features ready to add to the new system and I am always finding more. Just today I found a system that will allow members to place keywords in a list and then any time someone posts a message that includes one or more of their keywords, they will receive an email about it. There will be some great stuff in the new system. I really hate proceeding this way, but I am behind the eight-ball. I give everyone who pre-buys a membership my word that the complete basic system will be up and running before the end
    of August. Most of it will launch in the next couple of weeks. The bills and equipment problems simply will not wait that long though.<br><br>I am going to set up a new forum area dedicated to the paid membership tier system. This area will be a place for me to share information on the new features and functions as they come online and more importantly, it will be a place for you to share your thoughts on what features you would like to see. This new forum will form the core of a paid membership support and
    community area. I've got a lot of ideas concerning the site's future and I want to start getting everyone's feedback. I will post a comprehensive list of the features you should expect in v1 of GT's paid membership tier. Any ideas we generate in the next month will go into a v 2 development pool.<br><br>I am excited about the upcoming upgrades and changes and I am looking forward to a time when GT has a consistent income stream to insure it future and fund future development. I will throwing a lot of changes
    at
    everyone in the coming month or two. Please understand that everyone will benefit from the changes, whether they choose to subscribe to the paid tier or not. I will try hard to minimize any downtime or disruption caused by the upgrades and changes. I will give you all warning if I foresee any significant disruption, before it occurs. The only real disruption I see in the immediate future is the vBulletin upgrade. This will require the site to be down while the old database is upgraded to the new structure and
    it is a BIG database. This changeover will most likely take four to six hours. I will post more info about this soon.<br><br><b>For those of you that have not seen it printed elsewhere on the site, <font size="4" color="red">Basic membership on GT will always be free</font><font size="4">.</font> What we are discussing here is the addition of additional &nbsp;features which will be made available to members who decide to subscribe to the new paid membership
    tiers.</b><br><br>For those that are uncomfortable prepaying for their membership before seeing the new system, I completely understand. I want everyone to be completely at ease with their decision to step up tp paid membership. There will be absolutely no hard feelings towards anyone who decides to wait. &nbsp;For those of you that will pay now for a cheeseburger next Tuesday, I want you to know how much I appreciate your support. I couldn't keep this place going without your support. Thanks again to everyone
    who helps me every day,&nbsp;to make this site what is. Your participation makes this a place I still enjoy visiting after almost a decade.</p>
    <p align="center"><b><font size="+2" color="red"><a href="http://shop.glocktalk.com/index.php/cPath/13" target="_blank">Click Here To Pre-Purchase A Membership</a></font></b>

2. Sidhe

Sidhe Girl w/a Glock CLM

Sep 22, 2006
    Texas, baby!

3. Grayson

Grayson

Jan 18, 2006
    I'll happily pre-buy a Silver membership. Would go higher, but am crunched for $$$ at the moment. ;)

But I'm sure things will improve financially eventually - which begs the question:

If one buys a membership, then decides they'd like to 'upgrade,' will they be charged the complete cost of the new tier and get it for one year from the date of the purchase? Or, say, pay the price minus the cost of their original subscription but only have it through the date of the initial purchase?

4. kf4zra

kf4zra I miss ya Murph

Aug 15, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  5. ARs&AKs

ARs&AKs NRA Life Member

Sep 7, 2002
    Arkansas
    I'll sign up for a Gold membership this week.
    Thanks for keeping this great board alive, Eric! :thumbsup:

6. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits Not Again.....

Oh yea, I'm in. Next paycheck, I know I'll be able to afford at least the silver one. Anything to keep GT up and running. Thanks for all the hard work, Eric.

7. Yes I would like to know what is the differance between free and the paid memberships??

8. Eric

Jan 1, 1970
  9. Gokyo

Gokyo

Apr 24, 2005
    Washington
    I am up for it too but I would like this question answered too. I am also in a little bit of money crunch at the moment.

10. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Feb 15, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Eric, GT is the #1 site I visit everyday.

It's well done, excellent info and people.

Even the TROLLS are fun!

Platinum Membership submitted.

11. I will pony up the cash after the next paycheck. This is my number one most visited site. I have learned so much from everybody here. I will be more than glad to help out the best that I can. :hearts: :hugs:

12. BigBoostDSM

BigBoostDSM

Feb 4, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Will you guys finally be upgrading the VB version with the extra revenue that the paid subscriptions will bring? VB is already out with 3.6.1 and this forum is still running 2.3, there are a lot of great upgrades with the newer version.

13. Lee-online

Lee-online Mul-ti-pass

Mar 13, 2006
    Susquehanna Valley, PA
    what tier will allow me to edit other peoples posts or even ban members.:supergrin:

14. Eric

Jan 1, 1970
    That is the tier where you buy me a new house and car and keep me in the lifestyle I would like to become accustomed to.:supergrin: Eric

15. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Sep 4, 2004
    Racing Capital, USA
    +1

16. Cclass

Cclass CLM

Jan 31, 2004
    PA
    Looks like this is off to a fast start. I'm glad to do my part. :wavey:

17. Berto

Berto woo woo