Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Scripto lighters at wal-mart

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by emt1581, Jan 30, 2012.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    Not sure if anyone else does it but when I go to walmart I pick up an 8...that's 8...pack of Scripto lighters at the cash register. $1.97 for 8 lighters...good deal IMO.

Tonight I was there and I saw a yellow sign on the pack that said "Big Pack". So I gave it to the cashier and bought it. I get home and look at it...yeah it's got 7 lighters instead of 8 for the same price. And the yellow sign was actually a folded piece of cardboard that takes up the space of the lighter that used to be there. So rather than retool their operation they just put this filler in there.

I thought they were supposed to decrease the supply while keeping the price constant or maybe raising it a bit without going over into a JUST NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE territory...well I noticed.

Anyone else notice this?

2. thejellster05

Sep 13, 2007
    I hate that crap! Happens in food all the time.

Good idea hoarding the cheap lighters though.

3. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    While those pocket lighters are a good idea, one thing you should not ignore:

Those extend - o lighters, the longer ones. They have a bigger reservoir of fuel in the handle and they're about a foot long.

Good for fireplaces, outdoor grills.

I can see a lot of uses for those and keep one near the stove in the kitchen and a spare in the cupboard.

A good way to avoid injury from a flareup if you need to light something dicey in a situation…farther you keep your hand back, the better. Gas appliances, etc.

Usually you can get em for 3 bucks or less. Grab a couple and throw em on the pile, just in case…they won't go bad.

Just sayin...
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  4. Unless they have improved the Scripto lighters I'd rather pay extra for a BIC.
  5. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
  6. Have you notice that toilet paper rolls are narrower than they uses to be!
  7. rwrjr

May 25, 2007
    Northern VA
    I just assumed my butt got bigger. :supergrin:
  8. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008

Bic lighters are worth the extra money. I remember they sucked when I use to smoke. I would not trust my life to a cheapo lighter.
  9. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

Mar 19, 2010
    I'd use gofer matches before I'd buy any of the other cheap-o brand lighters. Bic isn't on the same level as the other throw away lighters. Even their long bar-b-que, fireplace, lighters are much better than the other brands.
  10. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    :shocked: :animlol:

Howdy stranger.'08. :wavey:
  11. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    And the cardboard tubes in the center are larger-diameter as well. Bigger hole in the middle = less product in the package, while still looking the same on the store shelf. I only noticed it when refilling a holder and saw the new ones right next to the old one still on there.

As far as lighters and "Bic is a better lighter" vs. "generic is better deal", I actually agree with both; and ended up settling on the generics frankly because we use a lot of them and the bics cost six times as much, even bought in bulk. They're better, but I don't believe one bic is worth six of the others. (JMO; not unlike having one box of 'premium' handgun ammunition vs. having six boxes of 'decent' handgun ammunition.)

With the generics, you do have to accept that after four or five years on the shelf, one or two out of a hundred-pack will be dead; but my boys and their friends have used a lot of lighters for years (one of our neighbors & their kids run a fireworks stand), and we'll go thru probably fifty a year or so. I've just settled on the hundred packs from sams club that run $10 or $12 iirc. We keep at a minimum one unopened pack, plus the pack that's being used from, so we've always got at least 100-200 on hand.

Before I put one in the truck or wherever, I simply use it a few times to test (just as we should most anything). Never had a problem with it that way and it lets me keep a much larger supply than otherwise. Even in my ghb, I use the generics; I just carry ones that I've used a little so I know I can trust them, and I carry four of them. Frankly, even if they were bics, I'd want four of them; to cover any loss, breakage, fluke damage like the metal cap coming off, etc.

If it were just me individually, I might go the other route, using the more expensive ones with a smaller quantity on hand. But with half a dozen people using from the supply, I just prefer this approach. The generics aren't as uniform as the bics; probably 90-95% maybe. But for this particular item, I can live with 90-95%% of the quality since it comes at 15-20% of the price. Some things, I do the opposite. Batteries, I do buy the name brand; usually energizers.

Jmo and ymmv, obviously. :wavey:
  12. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    These are the bomb, but dont pay more than 3 bucks for one at WM:

13. Kieller

May 18, 2007
    Kansas City
    These are what I buy also. Never had any real issue with them. I don't use near as many as quake per year though.
  14. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    It's not quake, it's quake's idiot spawn and idiot neighbor spawn. I've just accepted the role of resupply point... :)
  15. itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    I just read recently over 1 billion displosable lighters are sold a year. Wow that's a lot.
  16. sebecman

Jun 13, 2008
    As a retired smoker I can agree with the "bic is better" arguement.

That said any lighter is good when you need it and I have more cheapos and matches then I do bics.

Also a few zippos and some fluid.

Something I have been doing lately is waterproofing matches, the strike anywhere kind, just a dip or two into a pan of melted wax.

Not as robust a burn as those NATO ones you can buy for 25 cents a match but they are still better then nothing and usually better then a lighter when really wet! As you know once the flint gets wet on your disposable lighter it can take a while to dry.
  17. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

Mar 14, 2010
    On the move ... again!
    It is Wally-world, just use one and say you do not like it. Then take the pack and the unused ighters back for a refund or exchnage ... wally will exchange or refund on the drop of nothing. They will even take back a half eaten box of food everytime ... it is corp policy. :cool:
  18. wildcat455

Jun 14, 2006
    I use those too!
  19. banger

Nov 8, 2005
    Where evil lives
    How about the "one pound" coffee cans that now contain...

10.5 oz. of coffee!
  20. bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I have a pile of zippos and cans of fluid. Not a smoker.