close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Screwdriver(s) Recommendation for Grip Screws?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by oily_oink, Feb 27, 2013.

1. oily_oink

oily_oink ###########

Jun 23, 2006
    Metro. Detroit
    Seeking Recommendations on a Screwdriver to be used Primarily for 1911 Grip Screws.

2. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    Probably one with a flat head, a Phillips head might get tricky.

3. oily_oink

oily_oink ###########

Jun 23, 2006
    Metro. Detroit
    WOW! Thank You Sooooo Much!

I'm glad my question was answered before I messed up the screws with a Phillips!

4. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    If you don't know how to use a screwdriver carefully or understand which to use/how to use it, then grab some allen head grip screws.

5. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon
    MD, do you always have to be such a dick??

OP- A quality #1 flat tip will do you fine.

6. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    It's a SCREWDRIVER?!! and a SLOT??!! Geez. No reason to get huffy or feelings hurt.

Sorry, some questions I have a tough time taking seriously but apparently this is serious business!! I DID suggest allen head screws IF marring is a problem.

Pot. Meet kettle. Very black.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  7. oily_oink

oily_oink ###########

Jun 23, 2006
    Metro. Detroit

Serious Business? Why sure it is! Chewed up screw slots are no good for the gun's feel & looks. I know it can't get more basic then using a flathead screwdriver on a slotted screw, but I thought with all the experience here in GT's 1911 Forums, people would recommend a specialty one to use. Better metal? Magnetic? Specific slot sized head? ETC.....

8. garander

garander

Nov 29, 2001
    I would think a small gunsmith screwdriver set. Common screwdrivers like craftsman are ground wrong. I use a small flat three head colt tool and just lightly tighten them.

9. pennlineman

pennlineman

Feb 16, 2009
    PA
    Hollow ground screwdrivers are used by gunsmiths. They fit the slot better with less chance of slipping and buggering up the screw. A good set of gunsmith screwdrivers are not too expensive. One of my better gun related investments.

10. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota

Here you have the right answer.

11. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Apr 28, 2002
    Above ground
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/B-Square-Professional-Gunsmith-Screwdriver-Set/dp/B0018LBE64"]Amazon.com: B-Square Professional Gunsmith Screwdriver Set: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21raRtbT97L.@@AMEPARAM@@21raRtbT97L[/ame]

Handy to have around for all sorts of non-typical screws.

12. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    Never got that complicated for me but YMMV.

As I said previously.... twice.... if marring is an issue you might aswell get a allen grip screw set (which look better anyways IMO.) Carry the appropriate allen key in your bag, considering at the range is when grips coming loose will be an honest problem. No different than carrying around a special screwdriver.

Where's FAAwrench and his nail polish???

13. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    No it's not just a screwdriver and a slot.
    It's a precision made screw and a precision made tool working together so no damage occurs to the part or gun the part is attached to.

The day of using any old screwdriver to remove a gun part is long over. A dumbass using the wrong tool to work on his guns shows when he goes to sell them. Some poor buyer will find they have a classic revolver or rifle, tha't has been needlessly mangled because someone didn't take a bit of extra precaution.

I use only hollow ground screwdrivers on my guns, and only in the correct sizes. I prefer Forster screwdrivers to Grace though I have sets of both. I prefer Chapman for a mobile tool when away from home.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  14. cciman

cciman

Jan 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    That's the classic, dumbass, ritual, kung fu BS.

Like snipping the end off a cigar, opening a can of beans, or uncorking and pouring your wine... you do not need a special tool, as long as you are careful. If you want to spend $10+ on s screwdriver to install a .25 part, you should be in the military or in medical supplies.

Put your fat fingers down at the union of the slot and the driver tip, and not watch TV while doing it, and any Made-in- China flathead that fits will work.

15. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon
  16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    You guys are taking this stuff way too seriously. You're not fitting and tuning an extractor or a beavertail safety.

It's a freakin' screw. It doesn't need to be tennifer treated, high temperature alloy steel. and the screwdriver doesn't have to be made out of magnetic tipped, nuclear powered, hollow flat ground, unobtanium either.

I use one of the screwdrivers on my Swiss Army Knife to take them off and put them back on again. If I were to be realllllly careful with the twisting motion, nothing gets marred.

17. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    John Moses Browning (peace be upon him) thought the toe of a magazine was the right tool if the screw and the mags were to his specs, but what did he know?

18. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon
    Part of JMB's built in tool kit. I've got some of those old screws. The mag toe also fits nicely to depress the plug so as to turn the barrel busing .....almost like it was planned that way!

19. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    1911 grip screws need "precision tools?" One wonders what JMB did without a snap-on truck full of specialized tools? :supergrin:

Again.....I've never marred up any grip screws with simple tools over the years but maybe I'm just a bit more careful? YMMV.

20. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon

He used the magazine for the grip screws.