Glock Talk banner

Screech and Carry

3K views 33 replies 28 participants last post by  S&WShooter 
#1 · (Edited)
357 Sig, 10mm; those Glock semi-autos, used for inside home defense? Does the high screech of the G31, G32, and G33 make you think twice about carrying it for edc? What about a G20 or G29? Any of them placed in your home for self-defense? I have a G32, but given my experience, I'm not convinced of the advantage. Is the noise worth it? Inside?

#7 · (Edited)
Another MartinRiggs Classic. Good Lord...
Another Opie 1 Kenopie Response. At least I can count on that... :whistling:

Seriously though, have you ever shot 357 Sig? It is seriously louder than about any semi-auto caliber I have used. In a close setting, your ears would be near deaf after discharging your piece in a defense situation (more than 9mm or 40). I was merely asking, if that was a factor in carrying or not carrying a 357 Sig. And you can go farther, and ask if that's a motivation not to mess with the caliber. There is a reason besides expense to why it isn't more widely used, and the bang is a legitimate one. Home invasion, 357 Sig on the headboard, and you have to use it in a small bedroom or living room, you would have permanent hearing damage. No doubt... The thing is brutal even with hearing protection when shooting it outside.

This was a thought-out question.

#8 ·
Another Opie 1 Kenopie Response. At least I can count on that... :whistling:

Seriously though, have you ever shot 357 Sig? It is seriously louder than about any semi-auto caliber I have used. In a close setting, your ears would be near deaf after discharging your piece in a defense situation (more than 9mm or 40). I was merely asking, if that was a factor in carrying or not carrying a 357 Sig. And you can go farther, and ask if that's a motivation not to mess with the caliber. There is a reason besides expense to why it isn't more widely used, and the bang is a legitimate one. Home invasion, 357 Sig on the headboard, and you have to use it in a small bedroom or living room, you would have permanent hearing damage. No doubt... The thing is brutal even with hearing protection shooting when it outside.

This was a thought-out question.
And given what it is, 10mm would be another, let me think about this again, defense choice for inside the home.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Do you have any sources from LEO agencies who issue .357sig or 10mm indicating that ear plugs are required before drawing those duty pistols?

There's always a concern for hearing when firing a gun, but if it was as serious as you appear to make it I'm sure we'd have read or heard something of the danger these specific calibers hold for those who carry them.

#17 ·
Well at least you can get a .40 barrel for the G32. Pretty cheap solution to tone down the noise, have access to cheaper more plentiful ammo and have two calibers. I'm thinking of going the opposite way with my G23 to have both calibers.

#19 ·
i can see the OPs point and it is something i have thought about also. i think you have to decide if the performance of the round over a .45 or something is worth it. the 357sig shooting a 125 HST or GD @ 1350 - 1400fps is a pretty potent round that strikes a very conclusive blow.
i would have to think that being on the muzzle end of a 32 or 29 when it goes off would have a psychological effect on the bad guy to your atvantage.
i also have hearing damage, with that ringing that never goes away, ever. but if i had that ringing from successfully saving my life it would be worth it.
so to the OP, its something you just have to weigh out. does the atvantage of the sig round over others worth it? also would the sig round really damage your hearing that much more than a 9mm or .40 shot indoors?

#20 · (Edited)
i can see the OPs point and it is something i have thought about also. i think you have to decide if the performance of the round over a .45 or something is worth it. the 357sig shooting a 125 HST or GD @ 1350 - 1400fps is a pretty potent round that strikes a very conclusive blow.
i would have to think that being on the muzzle end of a 32 or 29 when it goes off would have a psychological effect on the bad guy to your atvantage.
i also have hearing damage, with that ringing that never goes away, ever. but if i had that ringing from successfully saving my life it would be worth it.
so to the OP, its something you just have to weigh out. does the atvantage of the sig round over others worth it? also would the sig round really damage your hearing that much more than a 9mm or .40 shot indoors?
That's what I was going for. I've already decided it's worth it. The F.P.S. of the round is a virtual one-stop drop for any home invader. So's .45 if handled correctly. Its just I heard discussions of this, I have .357 Sig, and have noticed even more so than 10mm, having felt more ringing and the being in a rock concert effect with 357 Sig, than with 9mm, 40 S&W, and like I said 10mm. So I wanted to run that concern by, and I apologize for any inconvenience my question raised.

Thanks.

#22 ·
Don't worry about it. Your ass is supposed to be more valuable than your ears. If you trust a .357 or 10mm, forget about the side effects.

#23 ·
I haven't shot a .357 sig indoors, yet, (I'll open a window and do it tonight when I get home), but I have shot more than a few 5.56 rounds indoors in very small little room, no ear plugs or anything...long story short...I'm fine. It didn't hurt my ears at the time. It may cause me to be a little more hard of hearing a little sooner than I would have been otherwise, but it should be OK. I tend to find that when having to shoot in an inclosed room loud reports from your firearms don't bother you as much possibly due to the adrenaline/excitement of it taking place. 9mm's don't sound like much at all in a bedroom, .40's are about the same and .45 is fairly tame as well. .357 sig does have a pretty good crack to it when it goes off, but certainly not worse than a 7.62x39 or 5.56 and I have shot both of those indoors. Don't worry, if it ever comes down to you having to pull the trigger for real indoors you won't even notice the big bang, too much other stuff will be going through your mind at the time.

#24 ·
Police officer I know who was in an actual shootout says he can't remember hearing any gun shots because his adrenaline was pumping so hard.
This man speaks the truth...been there done that, you don't really notice or remember any of the noise when it happens.

#25 ·
Police officer I know who was in an actual shootout says he can't remember hearing any gun shots because his adrenaline was pumping so hard.
If he had suffered any permanent hearing loss I'll bet he'd remember it, and THAT'S what the point is.

Damage still occurs even if you don't remember hearing the noise. Just like if you're too excited by the scary circumstances to feel the pain of an injury right at first, you're still bleeding whether you noticed the blood or not.

This is why I strongly support the use of suppressors, but the .357 Sig doesn't silence well anyway because it's supersonic. The OP should consider a 9MM with sub sonic ammo and a decent can as the best answer to the whole issue of indoor HD.

I've got a G20 with a 9x25MM Dillon barrel and I'd almost rather face a perp with a pocket full of rocks than shoot that thing indoors.

#26 ·
In 1996 my grandfather fired a .357 magnum indoors to stop a burglar. He never complained about the noise. Firing any gun inside or outside without hearing protection will do permanent damage, but if your life is on the line, that's about the least of your worries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.