close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

scratched striker sleeve channel

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by roar, Aug 10, 2012.

1. roar

roar .38 Special

I made the stupid mistake of using too small of a flathead when holding down the striker sleeve. The screwdriver slipped, and scratched the metal. Is there any chance of this scratch turning into a crack during the lifetime of the gun? It doesn't seem deep at all, I am thinking it might just be the finish that got scratched.

http://i.imgur.com/t1K9j.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pAbDS.jpg

2. SJ 40

SJ 40

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012

3. JBS

JBS

So you are worried that you introduced a stress riser that will later produce a crack? Short answer NO, you did not even make it into the Tenifer treated steel. You just scared the surface finish, maybe. However are you even sure you did that? Make sure what you are seeing is not some metal transfer from the screwdriver to the slide surface. Try some good solvent and see if what you think is a scratch rubs off.

4. roar

roar .38 Special

Thanks, I really should pick up the proper tool :embarassed:

I had this thought originally as well, but I think I can feel a slight edge with my fingernail. This is a new Glock, and from what I hear Tenifer isn't used anymore, although some alternative and just as hard of a treatment replaced it. I am unsure of that though.

The silver mark from the screwdriver does seem to just be metal that rubbed of, but you can see the longer scratch on the left that is the one I am talking about.

This area of the slide doesn't even bear any loads or anything, but I am wondering if vibrations from recoil could have any minuscule chance of cracking it. My guess is probably not but I still wanted to share my thoughts. I will have to try the solvent thing, as well as just see what happens after shooting a few hundred rounds :supergrin:

5. SJ 40

SJ 40

This area of the slide doesn't even bear any loads or anything, but I am wondering if vibrations from recoil could have any minuscule chance of cracking it. My guess is probably not but I still wanted to share my thoughts. I will have to try the solvent thing, as well as just see what happens after shooting a few hundred rounds

You are worrying about something for nothing,shoot it and Enjoy. SJ 40

6. Dave.1

Dave.1

roar, if you don't need to order anything on line, save the shipping.

I bought this 3/32 T handled allen wrench and rounded off the edges to avoid scratching things. Cost 2.95
    [​IMG]

Dave

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

I am not a metalurgist. Or an engineer. But my guess is that if the slide is strong enough to handle presumably tens of thousands of rounds that develops say near 35,000 psi, I have to guess that a scratch has the potential to be perhaps an annoyance emotionally but nothing else.

There was a gentleman here who posted that he essentially shout out his Glock, I think a G34. If I recall he suggested it was no longer grouping well, but had no critical failure. If I recall the thread correctly, Glock replaced the gun for him. I am merely guessing here also, but my guess is that if by some slight chance a crack did develop in the slide Glock would take care of it at minimal cost.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  8. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

Not an issue. Non zero zip.

9. cciman

cciman

EZ channel tool: Piece of automobile rubber vacuum tubing that fits snugly inside the channel.

push hard while twisting and it will snug inside the liner for you to pull it out. Push down gently to push it in, or use the striker assembly to push it in.

---McGyver

10. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

He was talking about detail stripping the slide and having his screwdriver slip off the FP spacer sleeve, not replacing the channel liner.

11. Dave.1

Dave.1

Still a good piece of info.

Thanks cciman!

Dave

12. sgt rock

sgt rock

Watch this , i think you'll end up laughing at your slip of the screw driver.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygcfp40RTKs"]Glock Trigger Torture Test - YouTube[/ame]

13. roar

roar .38 Special

I figured that it isn't an issue at all, but the thinness of the metal with the addition of impacts from the striker, or recoil made me think for a second.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Also, that video is awesome! I know Glocks can take a ton of abuse, but the thin internal parts sometimes make me pause and wonder.