Scratch building an AK. Input needed.

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by VinnieD, Jan 22, 2013.

1. So a friend and fellow forumite here at GT pointed out where affordable AK-47 blanks could be purchased. I've since acquired one with the intent of gradually assembling an AK as a backburner project. Before I get started though, I'd like to ask around here for general advice. So questions are as follows.

Where is the basic idiot's guide to this? Who has the best instructions? Video is good, parts lists and diagrams would also be helpful. I've looked up a bit, but most of what I've found are more in depth discussions of various options for experienced builders.

Additionally feel free to mention any common pitfalls first timers fall into, that I should try to avoid.

I'm using an 80% blank to begin with. It requires a bit more drilling to be ready for construction, and I'll soon have access to a drill press. It could also use heat treating. Lastly as far as screws vs. rivets goes, I'd prefer screws, as I like to have the option of quickly taking them back out if I mess up.

I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a bare bones AK build just to have an AK and the learning experience of having constructed one.

As always all advice is appreciated.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Federal HST Ammo -- Scratched up cases ? Caliber Corner Jun 4, 2015
    Scratches and wear on a new Glock (pics) General Glocking May 4, 2015
    Scratches on lugs of barrel General Glocking Apr 3, 2015
    Wood Trim Scratches The Okie Corral Feb 9, 2015
    Need suggestions on products that mask scratches on woodwork The Okie Corral Jan 31, 2015

3. Go to Ak-builder.com, Ak files, etc.

Don't use screws, btw. From what I've read on tghe "screws vs rivets" threads, do it once, do it right.

4. Don't plan to mess up, because you drill and tap for screws. Next size up would stick out like a sore thumb. Mine has all rivets, except for a screw on each side just in front of the magazine holding the front trunnion. They are in threaded holes with loctite, and are not going anywhere. I wish I'd used screws for the trigger guard as well; it would have made it look cleaner.

5. Rivets only. No screws.
    Nuff said.

6. I will also second the motion to use rivets only. Also if you do not know anybody with the proper tools (spot welder, hydraulic press... etc) it will get expensive quick. I spent over a grand to do my first build. It can be done cheaper, but I wanted some extra tools anyhow.

I am trying to find the instructional I used years ago, but can not seem to find it. Sorry. If you have specific questions I would be more than happy to help. Send a PM if you want.

7. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

I'd be very interested if you'd keep a photo-journal of your project.