Glock Talk banner

Scoring delay?

6K views 48 replies 22 participants last post by  Roadkill_751 
#1 ·
I'm wondering why scores take so long to finalize. If prelim scores can be up in 24 hours, why is it a month before they are finalized? I realize that there is a ton of info to compile, but the majority of the work is already done after the prelims are figured.

#27 ·
...I think the biggest problems with higher tech scoring (anything reliant on a "computer" at the stage) is the cost of the equipment (both initial and maintenance) and the need for power at the stages...
I think the biggest problem with high-tech or any-tech is the user(s). I would bet that a full 95% (or more) of the GSSF ROs have no idea whatsoever how to use the GSSF shot-timer menus to do things as simple as adjust sensitivity or review shot strings - and they'll do so much more than that. I-Pad/tablet input and use is, sadly... laughable.

#28 ·
I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants a faster system. I've seen tablet/computer based scoring at major USPSA matches with much more complicated scoring, so it could be done. What we are overlooking is that the scoring and compiling is not what appears to be taking the time. The scores for my match were up within 24 hours. The hard work was done almost immediately. The part that is holding things up is apparently this waiting period for reporting discrepancies. As Ron59 said, there is no reason to have a month dedicated to this.

Just to clarify, I'm not mad and I'm not denigrating GSSF or it's employees. I enjoyed the match I attended and everyone was great. I just think the scoring and prizes could be done faster.

#29 ·
Everyone makes mistakes, no reason to rush to set them in stone. After a couple of weeks of no one raising issues then it seems reasonable to lock it in and if someone finds something later, well, they had ample opportunity to pull their crumpled score sheets out of the range bag and check them.
The staff gets the prelims up pretty quickly, so getting the scores input doesn't appear to be the issue. It's the 30 day protest window. The staff gets all the work done, then it sits for month waiting for corrections.

The above seems like a pretty reasonable suggestion. 2 weeks as a protest period, then finalize them. It's no more work for the staff, no extra cost for tablets and such.

#30 ·
I had a five or six hour drive home from Marietta and Brighton due to meal stops and sightseeing, IIRC the prelims were up by the time I got around to looking and it might have been that night. I really can't remember if it was the same or the next day.

I am however ready to see finals. I want to spend my coupon and don't want to do so if I got lucky, three Glocks in one year would be an embarassment of riches.

#31 ·
I agree, I would like to see the finals posted in the two week time frame. Not taking anything away from the GSSF staff, they do a fantastic job! But like another post stated, all the hard work is done once the prelims are posted. If you don't care enough about an error with your score within two weeks, why should everyone else suffer!

#34 ·
I don't have a problem with the one month wait myself. I don't have a problem with paper score sheets either.
I have had three computers crash hard drives on me thru the years and that really does create problems even with backups.

I don't see a need for all the, "Instant Gradification" we are rewarded with now truthfully. It only drives the whinners to want more, faster. We still have to wait for the Snail Mail to deliever the certificates and rewards. Makes for a pleasant surprize in the mail by the time it arrives.

OK the systems to do what you want are there. Then there are upgrades and constant wear and tear on wires and electrical components to maintain. The system GLOCK currently uses seems satisfactory to me.

#36 ·
I remember the electronic fiasco

scores entered you got a receipt like piece of paper

sounded good DID NOT WORK.

REMEMBER the RO's are Volunteers they do not have the time to learn how to make systems work.

#40 ·
Yep it is, and speaking for myself, it payed well! I got a pistol certificate in the mail yesterday on a random draw!!!!!
������

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Well then, Congratulations!:wavey:

#41 ·
I make my living with a computer and some pretty advanced design and manufacturing software. They will bite you in the ass in a heartbeat. Put any computer in the hands of someone who is not computer savvy and you are asking for disaster. The words, "I didn't know you could make it do that" from a support tech come to mind.

I am happy with the situation as it is. It looks like a nice middle of the road solution that accommodates the shooters, volunteers and staff all at once. Impatience for something good is not dissatisfaction.

#42 · (Edited)
I like that last line, RonS. I didn't want anyone to think I was badmouthing GSSF or the folks in Marietta who helped. I just didn't understand why it took so long. I think the best solution, as others pointed out, is to cut the 30 day delay down to 14. This doesn't add any work for anyone and still gives more than enough time to notice an error.

On a lighter note, how long do I have to wait for my free pistol certificate?:whistling:

#45 ·
Because of this "delay-in-scoring" problem I put my software company to work on it.
They quickly developed a program we call Precognitive Dreamware.

The Precognitive Dreamware software runs simultaneously with Glock's archaic registration software. After all shooters are registered, it precalculates the winners and post them on the Internet the day before the scheduled shoot. :sigh:

On the day of the shoot only the winners are required (allowed?) to attend. At that time all prizes will be presented to the winners. Those shooters that are lucky enough to win a gun will have already had their background checks completed and will be able to take their dream guns home with them.
We call them Precognitive Dreamware Guns just to garner a little free advertisement for our software.
By the way, this software can calculate correctly, 99% of the time, which model of Glock each winner desires to own.

However, when my sales staff offered this innovative (to say the least) software to the Glock executives in Georgia, we were told to ...well..."Pound sand!". :fist:
They claim people actually enjoy shooting matches just as they are!
:animlol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.