close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Scope suggestions

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by patman, Jan 23, 2010.

1. patman

patman Large member

Jul 28, 2003
    minnesota
    I stole the scope off of one of my AR's and want to upgrade.I want something along the lines of 4-12X40.I also want to keep it around $300.00,though I did see a nice Leupold for around $425.00.I've been looking mostly at Leupolds and Bushnells.Are there other brands I should look at?How about Redfields?Optics Planet recently sent me an email for a Redfield scope blow out sale.

2. furioso2112

furioso2112

Dec 12, 2007
    It seems that a lot of places have been having great sales on scopes the last year (optics planet is one place I consider a bench-mark setter for prices). Perhaps with all the rifle sales, scopes were lagging behind in sales because people put their gun budgets into ARs and other guns. This year will be interesting - maybe the economy will catch up and people spent too much, don't have anymore, so stocks are sitting there, which would encourage sales. On the other hand, maybe pepole will be buying scopes and accessories for all those rifles they bought.

As I've posted before (and as is perhaps obvious), a really nice QD mount allows one to use a single optic for different applications. I did this with a red dot and a Leupold Vari-XII 4.5-14x40 with tac knobs and a mil-dot reticle - on a LaRue QD mount, its a matter of figuring out the offset betweenthe different guns I use it on, off one, onto the other, couple clicks and it's good to go. Their mounts ARE that good. Perhaps others are too. Just something to consider.

I really like the Leupold, and now they make them with threaded ends for their very nice (although expensive and without retention) aluminum caps. I bought the scope mentioned herein for around $600 about 5 years ago, so higher than your price range, but they have expanded their product line, re-introducing the red line (?) series scopes, and their newer 'Mark-x' series. I have had this scope in lots of different, relatively extreme temperatures - zero problems with fog, etc. It has not had any type of abuse, really, besides being on a gun that has been fired (no drops/excessive dirt, etc.). Gathering info is a great idea; I have heard very convincing testimony about relatively inexpensive scopes with lots of nice features.

More info about your intended use would be helpful. Are you interested in an illuminated reticle, tac knobs, drop compensation marks, anything else like that? Using for 3-gun, hunting, target? What level of use/'abuse' is it likely to see?

3. JDG

JDG

Dec 18, 2006
    SW Michigan
    Love my Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x40, great scope for $300-$325. The tactical turrets are awesome:cool: Not a small scope.
    [​IMG]

4. patman

patman Large member

Jul 28, 2003
    minnesota
  5. patman

patman Large member

Jul 28, 2003
    minnesota
    I found this one for $280.00.I might have to jump on it.

6. patman

patman Large member

Jul 28, 2003
    minnesota
    I was checking out the Nikon scopes and they seem to have three (maybe more) types.Prostaff,Buckmaster,and Omega.Anybody know what the difference is?Between these three models any way.There seems to be a price difference.

7. Ljunatic

Ljunatic On The Fringe

Oct 23, 2001
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Monarch Gold is the top line in 30mm, Monarch in 1" tube is next then Buckmaster, last Pro-staff . Omega line is designed for muzzle loaders.

I have a Team Primos Monarch 3X9-40, but I am thinking I want more magnification for Pdogs. Other wise the scope has been very good for the $199 I paid last year

8. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    The nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 is a great scope with side paralax adj.

If you can get the Bushnell Elite 5-15 under $300 it is also an excellent scope.

9. gunsnhoses

gunsnhoses

Jan 30, 2008
    I agree 100% on that model of Nikon. I have that very optic on my Savage rifle and here is one of my first 3 shot groups at 100yds. after dialing it in.

[​IMG].

I don't think you can get a better scope for the money. I got mine at this website for $270 with free shipping. I htink that is the best price around.
    http://www.sportoptics.com/nikon-buckmasters-scope-3-14x40-mildot-reticle.aspx

10. patman

patman Large member

Jul 28, 2003
    minnesota
    The Nikon is looking pretty good and I like the warranty.I like the adjustments on the Bushnell too though.Decisions decisions.I'll likely get one ordered in the next couple of days.I might just end up flipping a coin.

11. Jumper

Jumper

Jun 10, 2002
    MI USA
    If you can find a used Leupold in what you want for about half the price of new that would probably be a good value. Otherwise, Leupold is outdone by various competitors in every class of scope. Someone makes a better product for less money. Usually that's Bushnell or Nikon. Other than their custom shop the only thing they have going for them is blind brand loyalty.

Opticsplanet, SWFA are big online retailers but if you want the best price check out www.libertyoptics.com or, watch the classifieds.

12. patman

patman Large member

Jul 28, 2003
    minnesota
    Well apparently I wasn't smart enough to bookmark the page with this scope for $280.00,but I did find it for $288.00.I just sold something for $280.00.Funny how that worked out.

13. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

14. patman

patman Large member

Jul 28, 2003
    minnesota
  15. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Scroll down 2/3 of the way to find the exact one, Bushnell Elite 15-40X not the top few that are not the same model.

16. patman

patman Large member

Jul 28, 2003
    minnesota
    325154T on the 4th page.That's the one,$306.00.