close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Scope mount

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Glock 1, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Glock 1

Glock 1

Aug 21, 2011
    Texas
    This isn't for me, its for a customer. What is a good quick mount for the AR other than the LaRue or Burris PEPR? Any other brands?

The scope is a Nikon 1" M-223 2-8x32.

2. hagar

hagar Millennium Member

Sep 7, 1999
    Columbia, SC
    I have a DPMS that is rock solid. The cheapest good 1 inch mount is the original steel high Weaver mounts.

3. Glock 1

Glock 1

Aug 21, 2011
    Texas
    Is it just a standard rifle scope mount or does the AR take anything special to make it so he can cowitness?

4. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    You won't be cowitnessing with a magnified optic.

So long as the mount is high enough to clear any iron sights, it's usually good to go. Avoid Weaver rings, as the cross slots are different, and Weaver mounts tend to walk forward in Picatinny slots.

Honestly, I'd just shell out for a LaRue mount and be done with it. Buy once, cry once.

5. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    Bobro... ADM Recon... I switched to Larue and love them.

6. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    Agree with the LaRue mount. It's pricey but you won't regret it.

7. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Just to clarify, when I say clear iron sights, I mean the scope isn't physically bumping into any folded down BUIS. If the rifle has a fixed front, it will fade out and disappear at higher magnifications.

8. Glock 1

Glock 1

Aug 21, 2011
    Texas
    I will refer him to LaRue. I don't sell LaRue and cannot get them. However, I plan on getting LaRue when I get mine and I wouldn't steer him in a direction less than the best.

Ok, so no riser needed if he plans to get rid of the A frame then?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  9. Glock 1

Glock 1

Aug 21, 2011
    Texas
    Well, it appears that "price is not an object" doesn't mean the same to some people. lol.

I am going to recommend a Primary Arms 1-4 with their 30MM Deluxe mount and be done. Its just a range toy, will this due? Its 189 total for both which is hella impressive if you ask me.

10. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    For a range toy, yes, he will be fine. Marshall from Primary Arms posts here on a semi-regular basis, and he has a reputation of taking care of his customers if anything does go wrong.

Once you start hitting 4 power or higher magnification, the front sight tower blurs out and eventually disappears, since it is inside the focal distance of the scope. Lower power scopes will be partly blocked by the FSB, though.

11. Glock 1

Glock 1

Aug 21, 2011
    Texas
    Got it. He is still up in the air. When he decides I am going to ask him to go to the range with me and let me shoot it.

12. The Pirate

The Pirate HARRRRR!!!

Nov 7, 2006
    Walltown, KY
    You may have a reason the customer is against it, but I really like my P.E.P.R. mount.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

13. Glock 1

Glock 1

Aug 21, 2011
    Texas
    He hasn't really ruled that mount out so it could still happen. I think the top rails might have something to do with it but I don't know. I assume they can be capped though.

14. bullittmcqueen

bullittmcqueen Gunfighter

Feb 18, 2011
    Leesburg, GA
    Larue, ADM, or BoBro...those three are tops IMHO. I use LaRue.

15. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Doh ?
    Nikon makes a 1 piece and a 2 piece high off-set mount. I have the 1 piece ~$90, and it seems to work fine. I'm sure the 2 piece is fine as well @ ~$50 and maybe a bit lighter. Only in 1".

16. Glock 1

Glock 1

Aug 21, 2011
    Texas
    Is there a benefit to a single piece over a two piece?

17. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    For an optic mount, single-piece is less of a PITA in my experience.

18. Glock 1

Glock 1

Aug 21, 2011
    Texas
    As far as R&R? Is that the only reason? There isn't any tactical advantage other than that is there?

19. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Not that I can think of, other than I imagine a 1-piece QD mount (like a LaRue) might work better for returning to zero due to greater rail contact.

Edit: A single-piece mount is probably stronger, too.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  20. Glock 1

Glock 1

Aug 21, 2011
    Texas
    Enough to pay the little bit of difference. If it was going to be permanently attached I could see going with a ring set.