Glock Talk banner

sciatica aint no joke!!!

4K views 44 replies 28 participants last post by  Kadetklapp 
#1 ·
been out for three days now.....on vicodin, soma, and ibuprofin.

been out three days now, pain not as bad, feels like something just has to "pop" in place.....but no dice so far. might have to go back to be out of work longer....

this crap sux! once i get back together again, im doing the stretching excercizes, and seeing a chirprator asap.

thank the big cop in the sky it wasnt a disk or something that would end my career.

#2 ·
I have had people at work wear those pain relief gizmos, (electronic pain relief). My warden has sciatica.

#4 · (Edited)
Laugh all you want, but yoga is awesome for this kind of stuff. Call it girly all you want, but if you find a good instructor you will soon find it kicks your ass, and makes you feel much better.

Oh, and get better!

#5 ·
doc said its from where the sacrium joins meet the pelvis.....and thats right where the hell it hurts.....damn gun belt loaded with crap, sitting for hours in that crown vic, manditory wearing of shoes/boots that look good but arent as functional....plus im 43, been in a few wrecks, lift weights but dont stretch out like i should.....

doc said i probably need a new matress, the one i have is about 10 years old and worn out, not from sex unfortunately....LOL.

im tellin ya, once that "pop" happens and i get back vertical, im stretching everyday and twice when i feel the hint of tightness.

#6 ·
I have had problems lately as well.

My only remedy is a twice a day routine of push ups, crunches, leg lifts, and stretches.

Miss a workout and the next day my back is done.

I hope it heals up quick cowboy. Mine must not have been that bad, I only took Aleve for the pain.

#7 ·
Must be going around. Just got back from Pain Mgmnt Dr. Went to PCP 3 months ago who sent me to him. I have a bulging disc according to MRI.
Shot in the L4 region didn't do anything.

PT has helped a lot. Of course prior to this, I was doing pilates and core strengthening for the same problem. Mine ain't too bad. 1 alleve every couple days. I have muscle relaxers and tramodol for pain if needed.

Sitting is a pain sometimes :supergrin: Do those stretches!

#8 ·
I've been fighting it every now and then as well. My biggest issue is tight hamstrings. Going to the chiro will help, but I suggest going for a deep tissue massage to get the piriformis muscles to relax. The last time I had it I took muscle relaxors and went to the chiro but nothing helped. The massage hurt like hell and I was bruised and sore for a week, but it worked. Besides stretching the hamstrings and glutes, get a foam roller and roll around on it every day. Mine was acting up this am and after 10 mins on there I was as good as new. Another thing to look at is duty suspenders. I started wearing Orcas a couple months ago and it seems to help. Good luck!

#10 ·
I've had a couple other little things I had to deal with, but I found chiropractors to be a waste of time. I suggest you ask around, and find a really GOOD physical therapist, and try that route along with stretching when you reach that point.

Gotta love sick leave, eh? This is part of why I hoard all the sick leave I can hang on to.

#11 ·
Laugh all you want, but yoga is awesome for this kind of stuff. Call it girly all you want, but if you find a good instructor you will soon find it kicks your ass, and makes you feel much better.

Oh, and get better!
Anyone who laughs at yoga, has never done yoga. It will kick your butt, and is great for your well being...

#13 ·
Don't discount having a good bed. I was reading another gun forum a while back where somebody was looking for opinions. Somebody pointed out that you spend 25%-30% of your life on the damn thing, so you should spend accordingly. Really makes you think...we'll buy overpriced vehicles to drive a few minutes or an hour a day, and even more overpriced vehicles to drive a few minute sor an hour a week (or even a month), but a lot of folks couldn't fathom spending a thousand dollars, let alone two or three, on a bed they'll spend several hours in every night (or day).

#15 ·
Hope you get better soon Cowboy! The electro gizmo someone talked about is called a TENS unit, they're supposed to work pretty good. If you have a decent prescription plan you might want to think of them. I'm on vicodin every day for pain and soma as needed for muscles, my stomach can't handle ibuprofen right now. Heal up fast.

#16 ·
im starting to get the little "pops" in my sacrum, pelvic, lumbar area....muscles are loosening up i guess with all the dope and heating pad usage.....feeling better but far from running around good.

i think my posture, duty belt, sitting in the cruiser, getting out by swiveling my legs fast...et cetera is what did it....and me not stretching out on the floor every day.

i think the inverter table for the spine decompression and stretches should fix me up....

#17 ·
Been dealing with sciatica for two years now. Herniated two discs when some lady ran into my car. Seeing a chiro will help. Lately it has gotten worse and I had to remove my holster because it kept pushing against my side and causing the sciatica. I had to get a regular holster and it seems to help a bit. I had to remove my taclight. I ended up buying a new bed (well wife did bcos ours was at least six years old) and it is firmer. I am going to start yoga since everyone keeps recommending it. At least the hot tub will finally be installed soon. I find that a 30 min. soak everyday helps. I got tired of going to the rec center and sitting with strangers :)

#18 ·
I know for a fact that over time, bad habits concerning how one gets in and out of a vehicle can really add up, as well as how low said vehicle sits to the ground. As in, perhaps, Charger vs. P71 vs. Tahoe.... it seems as though the higher the vehicle sits from the ground, up to a point, the easier it is on the back and joints over time.

Also, a good physical therapist will have an advanced TENS unit, and will know how to use it for the best results.

#20 ·
When your back calms down, I strongly recommend that you see a Physical therapist. The stretches and exercises will help a great deal. You have to keep your core STRONG (especially the lower back muscles)! I also recommend getting any equipment away from the back of your gun-belt. Cuff straps work great to limit the pressure on the back over a handcuff case. Some guys use a back cushion, but our crown vics have good support.

Good luck,

Don

_

#21 ·
Anyone tried gravity inversion? I did it a few times and it helped my back.
I have a Roman Chair and love it. When I feel that "twinge" in my lower back, Chiro visits and the chair usually keep the back in line.....pardon the pun....:rofl:

#22 ·
Hurts like the Devil is in there trying to tear something out, doesn't it.?:faint:

#23 ·
got an inversion table today......on the way over, upside down, relief.....about 5 minutes of that and i figure id rotate back upright, and kafrackin blamo!!!!pain was bad! took a bit to get used to the thing....its like traction with gravity and ive got to go slowly.

#24 ·
im starting to get the little "pops" in my sacrum, pelvic, lumbar area....muscles are loosening up i guess with all the dope and heating pad usage.....feeling better but far from running around good.

i think my posture, duty belt, sitting in the cruiser, getting out by swiveling my legs fast...et cetera is what did it....and me not stretching out on the floor every day.

i think the inverter table for the spine decompression and stretches should fix me up....
my father-in-law has a inverter table at home. i use it, it does feel good and gives a great stretch.

#26 · (Edited)
Guys, I don't want to be the "old codger" that has to tell everyone about all my medical problems, surgeries, and stories I can only remember half of but...

My back problems started very much like the ones you describe. Today, I have degenerative Disk Disease which is a fancy name for bulged disks which allow the vertebra to restrict the sciatic nerves (both sides) which causes incredible pain beginning roughly at the hip and running down the buttocks and the outside of the leg. Mine has progressed to the point of "bone on bone" contact (part of the disk is totally gone) at the L-?/L-? junction. I have been in a "pain management" program for going on 5 years now. Time release Morphine 150mg per day plus 60mg of Oxycodone for the "rough spots". The only salvation is to PREVENT the problem in the first place.

Get ALL the crap out of your back pockets, anything that makes you sit crooked will cost you in the end (no pun intended). Start dating a physical therapist. Do the exercises the orthopedics doctor recommends, not just for the first few weeks or until it gets to be a PITA, every day. The job requires carrying a boat-load of crap every day and there's not much that can be done about it. However, when you have to lift a ton of bricks or some SOS, let your partner help. I guarantee your back will give out before you run out of upper-body strength.

Just my opinion... :workout:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.