School me on sights guys...

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by Vitals, Aug 20, 2012.

1. I know a lot of picking sights is a personal preference, but I don't know much about them in general. Could you guys give me some advice as to maybe which styles to avoid as far as quality and such.... what are some of your favorites??? Thank

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Truglo TFO yellow rea,r front green on all my guns best in sunlight hands down, glow at night just fine

3. Hmm interesting combo I never thought of doing it that way. Is that the norm?

4. Norm is probably green in front and rear, or at least that's what I've seen most of the time. I personally like green front and yellow rear because the greens are brighter and it allows for contrast to ensure you're not aiming out of alignment.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. I have Ameriglo Hackathorn sights on all my Glocks. They are low profile and not bulky which was a must for me. They only have tritium in the front sight which is fine by me because in low light or dark I am only interested in the front sight and the target.

You are going to have a hard time finding a better company with better sights than Ameriglo.
    http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock

6. I am no expert but certain sights work better depending on the model. A lot of variables come into play such as will it be a carry weapon, range gun and so on. I like Meprolights for baby Glocks and they are snag free

#6 Glock Junkie, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  7. I like Trijicons for night sights.

Avoid low profile or Novak style or any rear sight that doesn't provide a nice sized square front edge to it unless you like complicating one-handed malfunction clearances.

#7 cowboy1964, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  8. What are you going to use them for? Combat style sights have a wider notch for fast target acquisition but are less precise when aiming. Target sights have a narrow notch which are slow to pickup but are better for precision target shooting. Some like 3 dot. Some like straight 8's. Some like the Glock stock U dot setup. Night sights are great for a low light defensive gun, but serve little purpose on a daytime range toy. Some even like solid black sights, but I find them very hard to see against dark targets or in anything but bright sunlight. If you reload, adjustable sights let you dial in the point of impact with different loads.

9. I have these sights also but all the same color. They light up in the sun as if they had light bulbs in them . But what sold me on these sights is that from the muzzle end of the gun the sight are invisible to whom ever is on the other side of the firearm. Most fiber optic sights are just as visible from the muzzle end as the end your looking down witch could possible give an adversary a good point of aim

They are also tapered so there is no chance they will snag in a holster

10. It depends on what you are using your pistol for.

Carry / self defence - look at fixed night sights, Glock factory, Meprolight or Trijicon. They are all quality sights and will work well. Green, orange or yellow is up to you. Green is pretty standard and works very well.

Competition shooting - look at Sevigny sights by Warren Tactical. Heine or Dawson make great target sights too. They all work well.

A bit of both? Sevigny carry are nice. As are the factory steel sights.

Just avoid anything gimmicky and you can't go too far wrong.

11. +1

Also love my XS Big Dot Tritium's

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway."
    -- John Wayne

12. I'm a slightly different way. I few others have already hinted at this.

This is assuming that you're looking for all round/carry sights.

First: decide on the type of daylight sight picture you want. Wide rear notch and narrow front blade for a lot of daylight for speed and fast target acquisition, or a narrower rear and thicker fronts for very little daylight around the front for max accuracy.

Second:
    Then select whether you like an "enhancement" at the front, like dayglow paint or a fiber optic, or a white ring/dot.

Third:
    Choose what works for you for night shooting, two dots or three tritium dots. If you go for two dots, don't get hung up on color choice too much, because there is only one possible sight picture arrangement. With three dots it may be advantageous to have the front in a different color to determine under stress that the front is centered between the rears.

So, to conclude:
    Choose the daylight sight picture you like first, then add the two or three tritium reference dots for low light shooting.

#13 SouthpawG26, Aug 21, 2012
  13. glockvit

glockvit Glock Sportsman

Glock Factory Night Sights, paid like $50 with free installation by Glock Inc.

14. Tru Glo TFO's are awesome. Green front and yellow rear. These work well in all lighting conditions and can be used for duty/carry weapons and competition shooting.
    [​IMG]

#15 BigSpenda864, Aug 21, 2012
  15. If you want adjustable sights Dawsons are one of the best.

#16 bigtimelarry, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  16. I like the Trijicon sights. They stamp the year of manufacture and you know for sure what you are getting.
    I don't want to pay big bucks and get sights that might not be fresh.
    Night sights last about 12 years.

17. I do all green but these sights are the best of both worlds. I have them on a glock, an M&P and a 1911...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

18. I like Trijicons or GNS.

19. +1 for my defensive/carry G26 i have the stock Meprolights nite sights. on my competition G17 i have a fiber optic front and either solid black rear or standard rear Glock site. TruGlos seem to be very popular, just check the packaging for a specific warranty on your specific sights. if no warranty is listed it is warrantied for only 90 days.

#20 table, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012