close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scent control... stroke of genius?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by hotrodcummins12v, Sep 8, 2012.

1. hotrodcummins12v

hotrodcummins12v
    Expand Collapse

So today while I was at work cleaning up an oil spill with peat moss... it hit me! This would make the ultimate cover scent! Home Depot sells it for $10, CHEAP. So I'm going to get me a bag, rub some on my clothes and take some along with me in a Ziploc bag in the woods. Why wouldn't it work? It smells just like those fresh earth wafers yet stronger. I just thought I would share this idea with you guys in case you might like it. What do you think?

Sub Club 828
    1911 Club 828
    Outdoor Hub Mobile

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. K.Kiser

K.Kiser
    Expand Collapse

I typically just make the wind blow the direction that I want... Yep, had you going for a minute there but I really can't actually change the weather... I do actually use scent free laundry detergent, and leave my clothes outside for a couple days before a hunt, use non-perfume bath soap, and spritz a little scent killer on before I start walking to the stand... Seems to work OK, but I'm sure there is still a ton more I could be doing...

3. bustedknee

bustedknee
    Expand Collapse
    Curmudgeon

I just stomp through, then roll around in a cow pie. :animlol:

4. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

Any thing not nature to the deer environment would be a warning to a deer. I find baking soda, scent free landry soap for the wash and managing your position in the wind to be more effective.

5. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I take my normal street clothes, usually blue jeans and an orange hoodie, complete with food and dog smells, and I walk out in the woods, wait around a while, kill a couple of deer and come back. The people who buy special clothes and worry about scents and such, never kill any more than me.

Maybe that stuff works for bow hunters, but most of the deer I kill are within bow range too, so it's hard to say.

6. hotrodcummins12v

hotrodcummins12v
    Expand Collapse

Oh I agree, its impossible to "block" your scent. Carbon is a gimmick. Your breath will always be smelled. Gum doesn't work, a deer's nose can depict every ingredient in the gum, plus your original breath scent. It helps to keep all scents to a minimum and I think by kicking the leaves around and stirring up some earth scent helps to overpower your scent and make it seam like another animal is feeding in the area. But the best bet is to always stay downwind if possible.

Sub Club 828
    1911 Club 828
    Outdoor Hub Mobile