close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Sbr?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by B.Reid, Jan 16, 2011.

1. B.Reid

B.Reid

Jun 20, 2005
    Montana
    When you apply for a tax stamp do you have to say what length the barrel will be? And if so could you put a longer barrel on it later. Say your stamp says 10" but later you put a 12" barrel on it. Is this OK? If so why wouldn't I apply for a 7.5" just in case I decide to go that short later?

2. MisterPX

MisterPX Guest

You'll needa barrel length on your form 1. You can change barrel length later, but not "permanantly", without notifying ATF.

Ie; You list 12', you make a 12' SBR. HEre and there, you install your 14.5', or 7.5' barrel, no problems. It's wehn you sell your 12' barrel, and only have the 14.5 and 7.5, that the change needs to be sent to ATf, since your barrel change is no longer temporary.

3. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    As MisterPX said, it can be changed after the fact. Same with caliber as well.

4. As long as you can return it to the configuration you specified in the form 1 you can change it. In other words, if you say 10.5 in the paper work you can put a 7.5 or 12 upper on it, as long as you keep the 10.5 upper you should be in good shape. I am not a lawyer though so take it for what it is, my interpretation of the regulations.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  5. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Aug 8, 2004
    Maine
    Can you have all three barrels on hand? Especially with another AR in the house?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  6. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Firefighter/EMT

May 17, 2005
    Land O lakes, FL
    So far, yes. Thats the ruling. But the "experts" at the ATF like to play around and change rulings every 5 min.

7. B.Reid

B.Reid

Jun 20, 2005
    Montana
    Sounds like it will be OK since you have the registered lower. But this is kinda why I asked the question. Seems to me I would want to register it for the shortest barrel I plan to use.

8. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    And if ATF shows up at my front door and asks to come in and look around I would decline the request regardless. If they have probable cause a crime is being committed they can get a search warrant.

IMO to explain parts you would just need a plausible reason to explain why you have them. To swap them onto your registered SBR lower which is legal would be a plausible explanation. I also have a stripped AR "virgin" lower so a short upper in excess of my SBR could be for a legal pistol build. Having a short upper on hand and only non SBR rifles your reason of someday you might do an SBR or you plan on getting an AR pistol is not as plausible of an explanation so you might have some issues with that one.

9. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    You just need to register it with whatever you are going to start with. You basically if asked / required to put it in the "permanent" config that your paperwork shows you need to be able to. If your form says 11.5 and you only have a 7.5 then you can't. If your form says 7.5 and you only have 11.5 then you also can't.

If you get rid of the upper that allows you to get to what your paperwork shows then send a letter to ATF that you are changing the permanent config to whatever you have then.

10. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Aug 8, 2004
    Maine
    Interesting, thnak you for the input, I was always under the impression that if you have more than one "short" barrel and another AR that is not registered as an SBR, then your were in defacto possession of an unregistered SBR...

If that is the case, then it opens up a whole bunch of possibilities for me. Thanks. I'm still going to check with the ATF before I go out and buy another barrel for my SBR, but thank you very much.

11. scottMO

scottMO Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    LR Arkansas
    As long as you have a non sbr upper (16" or longer) for each "non sbr" lower, the concensus is that you should be fine, since you have a legal way of configuring the "normal" rifle/lower.

Having an extra non sbr lower, w/out a 16" upper, but with extra shorty uppers COULD have the interpretation of constructive intent...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  12. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Aug 8, 2004
    Maine
    Ok, so any "unfinished" lowers I have floating around could cause me problems? That makes sense. Thank you.

13. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    You mean your AR pistol lowers. :whistling:

14. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    Here's my plan for later in the year:

Buy BCM lower, sans stock.
    Send off for engraving.
    When it gets back, send off ATF paperwork.
    Buy pistol buffer tube and 11.5" BCM upper.
    Enjoy as pistol for a few months.
    When paperwork comes back, put on regular tube and stock, enjoy as SBR.

15. B.Reid

B.Reid

Jun 20, 2005
    Montana
    Where do you send it for engraving?

16. scottMO

scottMO Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    LR Arkansas
    Orion Arms or Ident Marking are 2 of the more popular ones. I strongly suggest having it marked 1st, before sending the forms, and using a professional to have it done. there are to many horror stories abt things mis-spelled, dremel engraving, etc...

17. B.Reid

B.Reid

Jun 20, 2005
    Montana
    Ok, What has to be engraved on it?

18. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Nov 17, 2006
    God's Country (Texas)
    The name of your trust and its location:

The Joe Smith Revocable Living Trust
    Dallas, Texas

19. rjrivero

rjrivero

Apr 23, 2009
    I have lowers done by Orion. They use a traditional cutting tool. I would consider using a place that does LASER ENGRAVING. The edges are much cleaner and the finish ends up being nicer as well.

http://www.customizedcreationz.com/

The cost is the same.

20. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Aug 8, 2004
    Maine
    Nah, I can't play that type of game, I have to keep everyting FAR above board. Good idea though.