close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

SBR thoughts.

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by lilglockboy, Apr 22, 2013.

1. wct097

wct097

Jan 11, 2000
    VA
    I went the "safe" route myself, obviously. I built my virgin receiver into a pistol while waiting on the stamp and only upon getting the stamp back did I install a stock on that receiver.

I agree that it's better safe than sorry, but I'm still of the opinion (not betting my lack of a criminal record on it) that the concept of constructive possession of an AR15 SBR is a fairy tale. I'd be interested to find a case where someone was charged with that where there were not other circumstances (criminal took the illegal SBR apart).

2. bullittmcqueen

bullittmcqueen Gunfighter

Feb 18, 2011
    Leesburg, GA
    You are not ready to build an NFA item in truth. My best advice would be when it comes to NFA items, posting less and searching more for other who have posted similar questions as you is a REALLY good habit.

3. bullittmcqueen

bullittmcqueen Gunfighter

Feb 18, 2011
    Leesburg, GA
  4. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    Watch out for the corn hole. :tongueout:

5. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

Sep 12, 2004
    Hilton Head, SC
    I kept my receiver stripped until my tax stamp arrived, then ordered my kit.

6. i have been debating a SBR build for quite awhile now. heck, even a suppressor is on my wants list as far as the NFA goes. i just have a mixed feeling on them right now. i have one buddy who says he wouldnt go NFA if he had to do it over again because of the hassle of owning, transporting, paperwork, inability to sell easily, etc... i have another buddy who is infatuated with it and everything he owns is sbr and suppressed - which kind of defeats the SBR purpose but it would be much longer if not SBR'd.

that said, my biggest personal drawback is that i graduate college in a couple months and will be going where the work is. i hope to stay in the land of the free but if the money is right in a state that doesnt allow such items, then i would have a mess trying to sell or relocate to a family member and either way, its a waste to me at that point. i really dont think i would take a job in an area like that unless it was my only option but until i know better in a couple months, im holding off.

i would really like a super short blackout build. preferably a folding stock but thats hard to pull off on the AR15 platform with the buffer tube.

7. lilglockboy

lilglockboy

Oct 23, 2009
    Well I just contacted my friend who works at a gun store. And I am going to keep my lower at his shop until all my legal paperwork comes in. I also talked to a agent at NFA and he told me the same. Keep the lower at a friends house or my friends shop and wait until my stamp comes back. Thanks for everyone advice.

8. vettely

vettely

Nov 28, 2006
    TX
    Anybody got a line on a 10.5 upper, preferably LMT?
    Can't seem to find any not sold out.

9. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    Although I have an AK rather than AR.
    The SBR thingy is the same (and I've got 922r to boot).

My solution is a pistol with a two point sling.
    You might be surprised at how accurate and easy to shoot they are.
    Plus technically it's a pistol.
    So you can forget all the legal bullsh1t.

I may still SBR my Suchka at some point.
    But it's a blast to shoot just the way it is.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  10. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

Sep 12, 2004
    Hilton Head, SC
    I've been waiting for 4 months for my 10.25" from J&T. Good luck.

11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy

Darn good plan..........that's what I did with my 9mm build

[​IMG]

12. scottMO

scottMO Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    LR Arkansas
    Just build it. the PW and one time fee to build/make are fairly easy. Once a year, I file my 5320.20's for 2 other states that i travel to/shoot in, and send them in.
    Once you shoot with a 10" or 11.5" barrel, its kinda hard to go back to a 16". For me, On an AR15, the balance/weight just feels so much better. For HK's and AK pistols, they are begging to be SBR'd..

some past and current fun guns/configurations(HK's and AK's not pictured):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG Milspectacular

Aug 28, 2006
    Not Los Angeles.
    Just put it all together without the stock attached. You can assemble an AR pistol (virgin or "pistol" lower receiver) with a carbine receiver extension without violating the law while your Form 1 clears.

14. eccho

eccho

Mar 28, 2012
    If it were me and my broke self I don't know if I'd be that motivated for an SBR. It would have to be a short one, like 9 inches.

If you want a 14.5 inch barrel rock on, whatever floats your boat. But for me personally I don't think -2 inches is worth all the paperwork and waiting.

But I get the sense you're just turned on by the thought of an SBR... You're interested enough to bring it up at work evidently, so go for it.

You want a machine gun? That too. A suppressor? That too.

Set up an SBR'd machine gun with a suppressor and post pix.:cool:

15. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    Unless you are going to add a can down the line SBR is a waste to me. Yes it's better for CGQ but no way in hell am I going to crank of a round from a 10" AR indoors without a can in a defensive scenario. Any firearm is bad, but an SBR without a can/ear protection is just asking for a bad day. That said, an SBR+can makes for an awesome HD combo. Yes, you would run the risk of losing it for a while to evidence but your alive and can hear so you got your monies worth, and you'll get it back.

16. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    Listen and listen hard....it ain't going to happen! If you think the feds or locals are going to confiscate someones $2,000 rifle..they got another thing coming . Now times that by the millions of us that ain't gonna give them up. There would be civil unrest....Period.

17. lilglockboy

lilglockboy

Oct 23, 2009
    Thanks for everyone's comments and advice. That's why I like comming here. I have decided to go the SBR route with an 11.5 noveske. I will post pics as soon as I get my stamp.

18. wct097

wct097

Jan 11, 2000
    VA
    Be aware that once you SBR a rifle, you'll have been bit by the bug and will then have an addiction to feed. I haven't even "finished" my SBR... still need an optic, and I'm already planning my next two.

1st: 8.2" 300BLK
    2nd (planned): 12.5" 5.56 Kino
    3rd (planned): 10.25" 9mm

19. scottMO

scottMO Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    LR Arkansas
    Very true. I'm right at 10 right now and always looking for the next one. ARs, Draco, mini Draco, aks-74u, m92, hk53, mp5, mp5k, reverse stretch. It never stops.

20. eccho

eccho

Mar 28, 2012
    If anyone's still watching the thread, how bad is the velocity drop on a 5.56 SBR? My understanding is you "need" at least 2400 FPS for the round to be effective.:dunno: