close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

SBR question...

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Manimal, Aug 14, 2013.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    That is a good question.

Should you? Yes, it makes your life easier and you are very safe.

Do you have to? Well, I know others have talked to the ATF and were told they did. I have a letter saying I don't have to. Now it is an old letter. Can they change the rules to suit them, .....I don't know.

Again, should you....HELL yes.

2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida

Yes, it needs to be engraved.

3. KML

KML Millennium Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Yes it needs to.I have two that I form-1 and I had to engrave and one I bought from a individual that has his info engraved.I have a also talked to two agents that were doing a inspection of a local classIII dealer a d both said yes to engraving.

4. baxsom

baxsom

Sep 9, 2013
    Florida
    I just joined the site here but saw this thread and since I just got my form 1 back a few weeks ago I thought I would throw out what the ATF examiner told me about engraving. He said to put the name of my trust and city and state in 4H since I am using a trust and then have only that info engraved. I used Ident Marking for the service, very fast turn around.

5. floored

floored

Jun 7, 2010
    some good info in here about engraving and abbreviations

6. SilverBullet_83

SilverBullet_83 NRA member

Nov 23, 2008
    Clermont, Fl
    From what I see. Do you have to engrave a lower from a gun co?

7. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004

Should you? Yes, you should.
    You should use the company's serial number on your form and then you only have to engrave your information.

Do you have to? Well, I know others have talked to the ATF and were told they did. I have a letter saying I don't have to. Now it is an old letter. Can they change the rules to suit them, .....I don't know.

Again, should you....HELL yes.

BTW, I am making the assumption that the lower you are talking about is an AR-15. So the lower IS the gun. If this is an UZI or FN-FAL or .....where the lower is not the gun, then engrave the gun part.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  8. Manimal

Manimal

Apr 28, 2010
    South Palm Beach
    To hijack my own thread, do you guys call and check on your stamp status? Or do you just wait and you get it when you get it?

9. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Jul 8, 2001
    Texas
    If you make an NFA firearm It must have your name, city, state and a unique Serial Number.

10. Chevytuff19

Chevytuff19

Apr 25, 2002
    Texas
    I check on mine after about 4 months to make sure they are in the system. After that, I probably will wait until 8 months or so to call again.

11. Manimal

Manimal

Apr 28, 2010
    South Palm Beach
    Now to ask a silly question, who do I call? Or where do I go to find out who to call?

12. vettely

vettely

Nov 28, 2006
    TX
    Last year it took 7 months for my silencer.
    Buddy just got his and it now takes 10 months.

13. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16

Sep 12, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Call NFA Branch at (304) 616-4500.

14. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16

Sep 12, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Correct. If you file an ATF Form 1 to make an NFA firearm (such as an SBR), then you are the MAKER, and your info needs to be engraved. Here is the applicable reg.

Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

§ 479.102 How must firearms be identified?

(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:

(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch; and

(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:

(i) The model, if such designation has been made;

(ii) The caliber or gauge;

(iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker;

(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm; and

(v) In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in which it was manufactured and the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the importer maintain your place of business. For additional requirements relating to imported firearms, see Customs regulations at 19 CFR part 134.

(b) The depth of all markings required by this section will be measured from the flat surface of the metal and not the peaks or ridges. The height of serial numbers required by paragraph (a)(1) of this section will be measured as the distance between the latitudinal ends of the character impression bottoms (bases).

(c) The Director may authorize other means of identification upon receipt of a letter application from you, submitted in duplicate, showing that such other identification is reasonable and will not hinder the effective administration of this part.

(d) In the case of a destructive device, the Director may authorize other means of identifying that weapon upon receipt of a letter application from you, submitted in duplicate, showing that engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) such a weapon would be dangerous or impracticable.

(e) A firearm frame or receiver that is not a component part of a complete weapon at the time it is sold, shipped, or otherwise disposed of by you must be identified as required by this section.

(f)(1) Any part defined as a machine gun, muffler, or silencer for the purposes of this part that is not a component part of a complete firearm at the time it is sold, shipped, or otherwise disposed of by you must be identified as required by this section.

(2) The Director may authorize other means of identification of parts defined as machine guns other than frames or receivers and parts defined as mufflers or silencers upon receipt of a letter application from you, submitted in duplicate, showing that such other identification is reasonable and will not hinder the effective administration of this part.

15. wct097

wct097

Jan 11, 2000
    VA
    Ditto. I haven't called yet about my two Form 1's mailed in October. They did cash my checks, so I'm not too concerned. I called a little more frequently when I had a pending Form 4 from an out-of-town individual seller. Since the Form 4 goes to the person selling and not to the buyer, your only way to know it's come in is if the seller lets you know.... hence I checked with the ATF.

Now that I think about it. I'm probably not going to bother calling them about my two pending Form 1's. Already have an SBR lower, so I'm in no rush. Would be different if I was waiting on a MG or a new suppressor.

16. baxsom

baxsom

Sep 9, 2013
    Florida
    The unique serial number is the one that the lower manufactuer put on it unless you made it from an 80% lower.

17. Manimal

Manimal

Apr 28, 2010
    South Palm Beach
    So I got my paperwork back in the mail this past Saturday due to an error on my part. I put stuff in box 4h that I should not have... How long will that set me back into getting my stamp now?

18. KML

KML Millennium Member

Sep 11, 1999
    That's funny because last year they sent my paperwork back because I didn't put my corp info in 4H.

I got it back 28 days after I mailed it back.

19. vettely

vettely

Nov 28, 2006
    TX
    On my silencer a easy correction had to be made and it only took about 7 days turn around.