close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

SBR question...

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Manimal, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Manimal

Manimal

Apr 28, 2010
    South Palm Beach
    Once I receive my tax stamp, am I supposed to have the lower receiver engraved with the number of the stamp?

Thanks ahead of time.

2. No. Your tax stamp paperwork will also have the serial number of the firearm. To match the tax stamp to the firearms, just look at the paperwork.

You don't need to go be any more redundant than that.

3. Manimal

Manimal

Apr 28, 2010
    South Palm Beach
    Thanks, this is my first Tax stamp so I wasn't sure. Is it common practice to have that done?

4. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG Milspectacular

Aug 28, 2006
    Not Los Angeles.
    Common practice is to get the lower receiver engraved first, then submit the form 1 with the serial number. That way, if the engraver messes up, or lose the lower in shipping, then you will not have to deal with correcting paperwork.

ETA: The "stamp number" is the serial number of the firearm you are registering.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  5. Manimal

Manimal

Apr 28, 2010
    South Palm Beach
    Got it, thank you!!!

6. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Assuming it's a commercial lower that came with a serial number already on it, all you need to get engraved is your name (As on the paperwork) and your city + state of residence. If you used a trust, it's the name of the trust and city + state where it's based.

Also, note that you don't have to update/change the engraving if you move, as it's supposed to reflect that information at the time the item was created.

7. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    This is the correct information. There's no reason to wait to get this information engraved on the receiver either. Do it now and when your tax stamp comes you'll be street legal.

On my AR sbr I put the engraving on the front of the mag well. You never see it there

8. Manimal

Manimal

Apr 28, 2010
    South Palm Beach
    Now do I have to have it engraved?

I like that idea of doing the engraving in the front of the mag well.

9. wct097

wct097

Jan 11, 2000
    VA
    What? Where did you come up with this? Don't engrave anything on your barrel, especially with an AR15 SBR where you want to retain the ability to swap uppers.

Yes, the ATF mandates that you must engrave it. I've personally spoken with a lady at the NFA branch that confirmed this for me. You must engrave it with the name, city and state "as it appears" you put in box 3b on the Form 1 .

There are a number of places that can do it for you. I used Ident Marking and was pleased with their work. They have some pictures on their site.... I just did it above the trigger pin. I've see people doing it on the front of the mag well and the bottom of the trigger guard (with integrated trigger guards), or on both sides of the bottom under the trigger guard (above and below the trigger itself).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  10. Manimal

Manimal

Apr 28, 2010
    South Palm Beach
    LOVE IT!!! :faint:

And thank you.

You wouldn't happen to know of any reputable engravers down here in South Florida?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  11. wct097

wct097

Jan 11, 2000
    VA
    I don't. This is the only SBR I've completed, so I've only had it done once. I want to build another couple and will probably be using Ident again in the future. Theoretically, anyone that does engraving should be able to do the work. A Jeweler or even a kiosk in the mall. You can look up the requirements to take with you if you're not having someone experienced in NFA firearms do the work. I needs to be a certain depth and size.

12. vettely

vettely

Nov 28, 2006
    TX
    I had mine engraved at a local trophy shop. They did a nice job. Also you can abbreviate. I did first initial last name, abbreviated city, TX.

13. wct097

wct097

Jan 11, 2000
    VA
    I spoke with Robin at the NFA branch in October of 2012 regarding this issue and she very specifically told me that the only thing you can abbreviate is the state. The name has to match EXACTLY what you put on the Form 1 in box 3b.

14. if you do a trust, keep the name of the trust short. Less space required.

15. vettely

vettely

Nov 28, 2006
    TX
    I don't know about Robin, but here is the link to the ATF. Having done SBR and Silencer, I have found that you can get different answers from different Agents. Some, if not most, seem to not be exactly pro gun. I believe it is only a trust that can not be abbreviated. To the OP, do not use "multi" caliber on your form or it will be kicked back.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/importation-verification/firearms-verification-overview.html

16. wct097

wct097

Jan 11, 2000
    VA
    I agree. If I had it to do over again, my trust name would be "WCT Trust" rather than "The <my full name> Revocable Trust". I wanted to do that originally, but the attorney convinced me that I could abbreviate and it wasn't a big deal. The ATF said otherwise and I already had a Form 4 in play using the newly formed trust, so I'm stuck with the long name that takes up two lines on the side of my receiver. In the end, however, it really doesn't matter.

17. Manimal

Manimal

Apr 28, 2010
    South Palm Beach
    Man I could have used that tid bit a week ago :crying:

18. wct097

wct097

Jan 11, 2000
    VA
    It could very well be just a trust thing. I've heard of examiners rejecting forms because the name of the trust on the form didn't include "The" at the beginning of it. Dana Pickles is not that anal as of early 2013 as I have two stamps with his signature, one with "The", the other without.

I'm the type that would prefer to play it safe in regards to the ATF. If there are mixed messages as to if something it permissible, I'm going to err on the side of caution. If you had an examiner tell you that abbreviations are a no go and I had an examiner tell me that they're OK, I'm probably just going to avoid the issue all together and forget about abbreviating. Not worth the potential hassle over a one time engraving that's tougher to fix than to do "right" the first time.

19. Chevytuff19

Chevytuff19

Apr 25, 2002
    Texas
    I just paid for and sent the paperwork for a SBR this afternoon. I specifically asked about engraving the lower and the dealer said that I shouldn't have to unless the ATF specifically requested that I do it in a letter before I can get approved.