close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SBR Form 1 / Barrel Swap ?

Discussion in 'GATE NFA/Class III' started by RTT1970, Dec 21, 2011.

1. RTT1970

RTT1970
    Expand Collapse

I have an approved ATF form 1 for a SBR (6.8SPC) with a 8" barrel, I've had it for a couple of years. I would like to get a 5.56 /.223 complete upper to put onto the reg. lower. Is this possible ? Most indoor ranges allow the 5.56 / .223 and the 6.8SPC can only be fired outdoors.

What steps do I need to follow before I am allowed to do this. Also, the upper that I am looking at is described as 7.5". Would I need to keep it at 8" as the form 1 describes it as. Thank you for any information that you can provide to me.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Zak Smith

Zak Smith
    Expand Collapse
    3Gunner
    Millennium Member

You can send a Form 4 amendment to the ATF if the configuration of the SBR changes

3. RTT1970

RTT1970
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the info. Even though the SBR is on a Form 1, I would use a Form 4 Amendment ? Do I wait before it is sent or can I order an 5.56 upper now ? Also, I was not able to locate a Form 4 amendment, is this a real Form or just a self typed amendment sent to the ATF on what I am planning to do ? Thank you for any help in this matter as I want to make sure I am keeping everything legal.

4. Zak Smith

Zak Smith
    Expand Collapse
    3Gunner
    Millennium Member

Sorry, I meant Form 1. You can just send a letter to the ATF.

5. RTT1970

RTT1970
    Expand Collapse

Thanks,, Last question, can I buy the upper now or do I have to wait until the ATF sends me a reply that they have my letter about the change ?

6. Zak Smith

Zak Smith
    Expand Collapse
    3Gunner
    Millennium Member

It's always safest to have the ATF documentation beforehand.