close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Saw something wierd in Seneca, SC

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SC Tiger, Sep 19, 2012.

1. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

I'm driving home from Church Sunday and I saw something that struck me as odd. The way I go home from church sometimes (there are multiple ways) takes me through an area called the "Mill hill." Basically this area is old houses that were used by a long-defunct cotton mill to house it's workers. The area is pretty low income but I don't know that crime in the area is extrordinarily high.

Anyway, I happen to see a sign on a house down a side street that says "(Calloway's?) Guns." From the looks of things this was just nailed to the front of this house. I didn't stop to take another look but it struck me odd that this would just be on a house in a lower-rent side of town. A little later down the road I see one of those plastic stick-in-the-ground signs with the store name and phone number on it.

Anyway, Monday night I drove back that way and actually turned down the side street. This sign is pretty big. The house itself had no bars or anything on the windows and had a bowflex on the front porch!

He could have a safe inside that would make the commander of Ft Knox jealous for all I know but the house looked remarkably unsecured for a gun dealer. I'd be lying if I said I was confident this whole thing was legit.

Just struck me as odd.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  2. wjv

wjv

Maybe his way of getting around the FFL crackdown where the ATF was requiring that all FFLs have a "storefront"?

It was part of the big push to eliminate all of those "awful kitchen table" dealers.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

3. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

Even more "wierd" is that they spell the word weird with an "ei" in the rest of the World. :whistling:

:rofl:

4. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

That's not weird...

I was expecting you to say Sasquatch was running the gun shop or something really weird like that.

5. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

There is a guy in Delaware county PA that has a full blown gun store in his home. He has an FFL and everything, it just a very weird setup. He has no signage and unless you knew or dealt with him, you would drive by his house and never know.

6. sciolist

sciolist

Maybe he's just a kitchen-table FFL, with no inventory on site. Probably not the smartest way to mark his location, though.

7. SC Tiger

I thought of that but my understanding is that the ATF was trying to eliminate "kitchen counter" dealers and force you to get a full-fledged storefront in order to have an FFL.

8. Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

My FFL buddy tells me that the requirement for a gun shop is "two locked doors between the outside and the guns. Also a safe inside.

9. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

The BATFE is NOT cracking down on "kitchen table FFLs" people...

Not at all...

*sigh*

10. SC Tiger

I hope not. I never had a problem with it as long as they follow the law.