Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Savings Reloading???

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Iamaarmed, Aug 6, 2014.

1. fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    For most reloaders, a little bit of proactive buying would have you set. I did not need a single primer or # of powder the end of 2012. I bought powder & primers anyway. So while I am always looking to buy at a good price, I am not hurting & I shoot every week. Keep looking, when you buy, buy as much as you can.:dunno:
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. colin1230

Jul 2, 2012
    Kansas City
    At my present cost for bullets, powder and primers I am loading 9mm 124g FMJ's for $0.162 each or $8.10 per box of 50. Reloading and shooting are hobbies for me and I am blessed that I can do a lot of both. Not counting .380, .38/357 and .45 calibers, an order of 4k 9mm bullets will last approx 6 mo. No way could I shoot like that buying factory ammo.

3. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Jan 1, 2010
    A cat box in WA
    I do shoot for less but then I do shoot more now also.

I think reloadings best attribute is making the ammo you what at the amount I shoot weekly.

If you were shooting a lot for competitions it would be a substantial savings.
  4. fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    25yrs ago, between the wife, the son & I, we used to shoot about 3K rds a month, 38sp & 45colt. I paid for my 550 in a month I think. So yes, I saved a ton vs factory ammo. Now it's just me still shooting quite a bit, but less than 1K rds a month, so no, you don't always shoot more but you always shoot for less.
  5. ret. 622

ret. 622

Jan 14, 2014
    "I can save money if I reload" is what you tell your spouse.
  6. WeeWilly

Nov 12, 2011
    People will tell you all sorts of nonsense about how you can't save any money loading this caliber or that.

Heck, I even save a buck or two per box of my 12ga clay target loads, over even Walmart promo packs.

So when someone tells you, you aren't going to save any money, tell them they clearly are not doing it right.

Now, on the question of whether it's worth it, that depends on many very individual considerations, which again means that anyone telling you it isn't worth it, by definition doesn't know what they are talking about. Unfortunately, the same applies to anyone telling you it will be worth it, only you can determine whether it is worth it to you.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  7. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

Feb 14, 2010
    Boonies New Mexico
    What cal. is your Rem 700? Beeen thinking of one.
  8. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    It's .308.

But it's some kind of non-catalog rifle similar to:

It has a 20" heavy barrel (vs 24" above) with 11.25 twist and 5R rifling and an HS Precision stock which I'm not all that fond of. I just can't make sense of the palm swell but it does keep me from choking the stock.

I am using the Sierra accuracy load of 39.5 gr N540 with the 175 gr BTHP bullet. The velocity is quite low (around 2300 fps) but the accuracy is superb. Over time, I'm going to work on getting the velocity up, although, at my ranges of interest, it's not a problem.

9. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

Feb 14, 2010
    Boonies New Mexico
    Great info, thanks!