close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Saving the brass

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by purrrfect 10, Aug 15, 2011.

1. purrrfect 10

purrrfect 10
    Expand Collapse

OK so I don't go to a shooting range because I have my own land and I'm working on an awesome shooting range. As it is now, i have been laying down a queen size sheet and so far it is working OK to catch all my brass for reloading. It is a pain to try to find it in the grass.
    Anyone else have their own place to shoot beside a range? How do you catch your brass? Any Ideas that might help?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. themighty9mm

themighty9mm
    Expand Collapse

tarp or a sheet is about the best I have heard for your own range. For me I have to go to public ranges. Gotta bend over, and pick it up. Best method I have found. The brass catchers, seem to be a pain to haul and set up

3. michael e

michael e
    Expand Collapse

At my grandfathers I use a huge tarp, shot a few rounds and see if I need to step forward or to the side to chatch it. When I am done pick it all up. It catches about 95% of it, if windy make sure to steak the corners down.

4. polizei1

polizei1
    Expand Collapse
    It WAS Quack

I would use a brass mat. They have handles and are weighed on the corners, and they catch the brass really well. My local club uses them for matches. After you're done you can just pick it up with the brass in it and dump it in the a bucket or whatever.

http://www.reddotshooting.com/ced-brassmat.aspx

#4 polizei1, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  5. teweekley

teweekley
    Expand Collapse

I used to use a tarp. When I started pouring money into my own range, I built a gravel area to make finding the brass easier. Nickel plated is still a pain though.

6. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E
    Expand Collapse

I hire one of those guys at the Home Depot parking lot , It's fun to watch them try to catch the brass before it hits the ground ;-)

7. purrrfect 10

purrrfect 10
    Expand Collapse

Before it hits the ground? guessing it would be funnier seeing them catching a hot 10mm round.
    Thanks for the input Sheet tarp it will be for now.

8. Brucev

Brucev
    Expand Collapse

Go to a hardware store. Look for and buy one of the gizmoe's that are used to pick up pecans. I have one. I bought it for (of course) picking up pecans. Then one afternoon I tried it on brass casings that spilled behind the car. Works great. Saves a lot of hard work. Also... take a gas powered weed-eater and use it to cut the grass down low in the area where your brass normally lands. makes its much easier to find the empty brass when your finished shooting.

9. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Shoot revolvers.

:whistling:

10. El_Ron1

El_Ron1
    Expand Collapse
    AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

A good trainer will beat your sissy hands for catching your brass on the line.

11. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

I don't shoot where there's a line, but point taken. I like picking up mags a la Tex Grebner, though...

And I don't have sissy hands. You must be thinking of Trout.

#11 Zombie Steve, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  12. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

13. ron59

ron59
    Expand Collapse
    Bustin Caps

Interesting. Never thought of that. I don't shoot outdoors that much (for practice), but will be over the next few weeks.

14. purrrfect 10

purrrfect 10
    Expand Collapse

NOT... A Glock revolver I have not seen yet...Get a life I have a S&W 357 magnum does not even come close to the awesome G20 10mm i just bought, Sorry the old wheel is history for me. :tongueout:

#14 purrrfect 10, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  15. PCJim

PCJim
    Expand Collapse

Easy there, pardner. He's probably forgotten more "life" than you've acquired. While the ol' wheel gun may seem outdated, it definitely still retains an edge in certain situations. And the point being made was spot on. :cool:

16. purrrfect 10

purrrfect 10
    Expand Collapse

My thread was asking for suggestion picking up brass. I have been an Ole wheel gun most of my short and sheltered life. Taking a step forward i bought my G20 No comparison to the Ole Wheeled one. The ole Wheeled one is a rare breed worth more than two or three G20's fact and one that will stay with me and one day it will be handed down to my son.

You are right this wheel gun did have its time and place. mine will now stay in the wooden frame silk lined glass topped box it came in. I know of no advantages that will be missed or for that matter any advantages of a similar caliber that could possible out perform this G20.

Please excuse my comment. Was perhaps feeling a little sarcasm with the comment shoot a revolver. there is no reason i can think of why I would take a step backwards