Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Savage or Marlin Rimfire in 17HMR and 22LR?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Dan, May 26, 2010.

1. Looking to buy one in 17HMR w/ a heavy barrel and maybe one in 22LR standard or heavy barrel. I know the Savage comes with the accu-trigger, Im not sure about the Marlins T-900 trigger?

Also does Marlins "microgroove" barrel have any advantage over the Savage in 22LR?

So basically... Savage or Marlin?

2. 1985 4Runner

1985 4Runner Agitator

May 27, 2006
    Gulf Coast MS
    T-900 trigger can be easily adjusted with a pen spring & shim.

I own three Marlins in 22lr & will be getting another in 22WMR and 17HMR. I'll also get a Savage 93R17FV 17HMR AT HB.

HArd to go wrong with either of your choices.

3. Twisted Steel

Twisted Steel And Sex Appeal

Apr 28, 2002
    Not all of the Savage have the AccuTrigger. But a trigger job on the non AT trigger is the easiest one you'll ever do.
  4. +1

When the .17 HMR first came out I wanted a Marlin badly. My small dealer couldn't get through Marlins "Preference System" to get one. But, he could get a Savage 93R17FV in stock. So I settled for the Savage. It's a pre accutrigger 93R17FV, heavy barrel synthetic stock.

Great rifle I had a bit of problems with vertical stringing in my shot groups so I glass bedded the action and that solved it. Now it consistently shoots 3/4" or smaller groups at 100 yards. Shooting squirrels, if I can see them and they stay still for more then a couple of seconds, they die.

I think I would have been equally happy with the Marlin.
  5. corpdriller

Feb 10, 2005
    DFW TX
    Got the Savage laminate stock HB 17 HMR (Accutrigger) about a month ago. Put a kinda cheap Barska 6-18X scope on it. Zeroed it at 25 yards (cuz thats the farthest I could do). It was after an IDPA match so I was using that target. Used a pastie to sight in. It took a while for me to get the hang of it. Ended the day shooting about 10 shots inside a 9mm bullet hole.
    The trigger is very nice. It breaks perfect for me. No adjustment necessary. I want to shoot it out to 100 yards and see what it'll do. Great gun though. I got the lam stock cuz its thicker and heavier than the plastic stock.