close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Savage 410/.22LR rust issue - help!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by dajcarroll, Jul 2, 2012.

1. My father has an old Savage 410/.22LR over-under that he used years ago... been in his closet for a long time. We took it out over the weekend, and the outside of both barrels is caked with rust. What can we do to fix this guy up? Is there a treatment at home we can do or should we take it somewhere to be professionally done? The gun means a lot to him, and I'd love to fix it for him. Anyone have any suggestions? I think he tried to sand all the rust off before, and use new blueing from Walmart, but the rust came back worse. Is there anything we can do?!

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3
    NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.
    Savage Model 24 - .22LR/410

Before pics loaded below... bad shape I know.

Attached Files:

• sav1.jpg
      sav1.jpg
      File size:
      755.3 KB
      Views:
    • sav2.jpg
      sav2.jpg
      File size:
      728.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  2. OdinIII

OdinIII

Nov 13, 2001
    Gainesville, GA
    If the rust is just on the outside then I'd take it apart, clean it, and paint the non moving parts flat black.

I actually prefer for my "working guns" to be painted. Then you only have to worry about rust on the inside.

3. OdinIII

OdinIII

Nov 13, 2001
    Gainesville, GA
    You can pay to have all kinds of finishes applied to the rifle but frankly I doubt the rifle is worth enough to justify the cost. Also, any pitting is likely there forever whether it is refinished or not.

4. There's no pitting. Once sanded down it looks great. We re-blued it with cheap Wal-Mart stuff, but the rust came back... wasn't sure it there was a better way. Gun may not be worth fixing to some, but it's about 60 years old and was my father's first gun. Can't put a price on sentimental value.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3
    NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga. 3"

5. OdinIII

OdinIII

Nov 13, 2001
    Gainesville, GA
    If it is 60 years old then I would have different approach also.

One of the best home bluing kits is Oxpho-Blue. You can get it from Brownell's. I've never used it but I hear nothing that you can do at home will compare to a true hot-bluing job. I think that it would probably cost at least $200 to reblue your rifle.

How is the wood? It isn't for everyone but a nice flat black paint job can look very nice on a hunting rifle.

6. I think the wood is in good shape. I'm going back over there in a few hours. I'll snap a few pictures, and post them here. Paint may be the way to go.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3
    NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga. 3"

7. I brought it out tonight. These are before pics. I sanded the barrel down with brass brushes, and 0000 steel wool. Not quite finished, but it looks a lot better. Oiled her up for the night. Probably try to get as close to bare metal as I can. I ordered Brownell's Oxpho Blue, and will attempted to re-blue on my own I think. Has anyone ever used this product? Great reviews. Forum posting with Tapatalk is currently unavailable. Will post pics when I can.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3
    NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.
    Savage Model 24 410/.22LR

8. I had a savage 24 .22/410. That thing went with me everywhere. I can understand the attachment

9. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
  10. My dad received it as a gift from his father when he turned 10 years old. He'll be 70 this December. It's pretty special. I hope I can restore it.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3
    NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.
    Savage Model 24 - 410/.22LR

11. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Returning video

Nov 9, 2008
    Doesnt mean that much, if he let it get in the condition you described. Kind of like saying your kid means a lot to you and then letting them play in a busy road.

Exagerrating of course. :wavey:

12. He's also been disabled since 1992. Two heart transplants, two kidney transplants, finished radiation therapy for squamous cell skin cancer, and recently had his left eye removed. Let's just say maintaining a gun wasn't high on his priority list jackass.
    Think before you speak. It will save you from looking like a dumbass.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3
    NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.
    Savage Model 24 - 410/.22LR

13. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX
    Yeah they rust easily. I love mine, great walk around the farm/ranch gun.

14. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    I didn't understand the background.
    Duracoat is for a work gun.
    This gun has moved from a work gun to an heirloom.

Send it out to get professionally re-blued.

15. JLA

JLA

Feb 11, 2007
    BuckeyeLand
    I wouldn't hesitate to take it to a gunsmith and have him give it a workover (getting rust off inside and out....reblueing ...making it look almost like new,etc). It will cost more than if you do it yourself but in the end it would be worth seeing the smile on his face :)

16. No harm done. I would consider it an heirloom, however I don't want it to be a closet gun. I want to give it to my son when he's old enough to shoot. I've been doing the prep work myself, and I think I'm gonna try the Oxpho Blue from Brownell's. I bet he'd be just as happy if he knew I put the time and effort in to restore it instead of having someone else do it. If I'm not satisfied with my efforts I can always take it somewhere, and have it done by a gunsmith. Thanks to those who gave positive input.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3
    NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

17. OdinIII

OdinIII

Nov 13, 2001
    Gainesville, GA
    Good luck on the bluing job.

I hear that the prep work is the most important part. Take your time and follow the instructions perfectly and it should turn out good.

18. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Jul 10, 2001
    Alabama
    My gunsmith has been doing some whole guns with Oxpho Blue and they look good. There is a procedure different from using it to touch up scratches if you are doing a whole gun or large parts. Brownells general bluing instructions are at
    http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn/Inst-113 Bluing Booklet.pdf

Go down about 3/4 of the way past the Oxynate 7 hot blue instructions to get to the Oxpho Blue methods.

19. Thanks. I've never done this before, but I'm going to do the best I can.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3
    NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

20. Thank you sir! I will take a look at that. I watched a few videos online of someone re-blueing an entire gun with Oxpho Blue, and using a blow dryer to heat the gun up before applying the blue. His finished products turned out really well. I'm going to take a look at this link. Thank you.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3
    NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.