close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Savage 24C Good Price?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Leigh, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Leigh

Leigh
    Expand Collapse

LGS has a Camper's Companion (22 LR over 20 gauge) with brown takedown case (looks like tan vinyl).
    The rifle is minty with zero dings, scratches, etc....guy asking $350....pass or not?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. CajunBass

CajunBass
    Expand Collapse

I'd take it at that price. They don't turn up to often, especially not in that configuration. It's the perfect what I call a "pot hunter" gun. Whatever shows up, goes in the pot.

I had one years ago, and rather foolishly traded it off. It's one of the very few guns I regret trading.

3. VA27

VA27
    Expand Collapse

I'd jump on it for that price!

4. Wyoming

Wyoming
    Expand Collapse

:agree:

What they said. But it if it is still there.

5. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

Grab it. I stumble in to one a bit cheaper and the owner of the gunshop still rags me about how I took advantage of him. We're friends but he knows now that when they show up around here the get $450 and up for them. The .22/20 is my favorite of the combinations, much better than the .410 IMO. If I didn't have one I'd easily go $450 for one.

6. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

Here she is wit ha custom Myrtlewood stock. Since I only paid $325 I though that a little fancy would be nice. I don't know if all of them are so well regulated or if it's luck, but a 25ydzero with most .22 ammo is a 50 yd zeo for Remington 20 ga slugs and the pattern with #6 field loads is "Minute of rabbit" at 20 yds.

[​IMG]

7. Fox

Fox
    Expand Collapse
    Varmit Control

A great foraging gun.

8. JLA

JLA
    Expand Collapse

I would grab it ASAP! I had one too and sold it a few years ago because I needed the money. Wish I had it back!

9. Leigh

Leigh
    Expand Collapse

Got it! Actually wanted one since I was a kid when I saw it in a gun rag in the late 70's.

The vinyl case is a little cheesy with one small tear but after a quick cleaning to the rifle(mostly lint/dust, zero rust anywhere), I realized how much nicer it was than my intital description!

Any place (other than calling Savage) I might locate a "born-on" date?

Barrel marked 'Series S' with a serial number E2765xx.

Will be posting a few pics later and thanks to all for the great advice!

#9 Leigh, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  10. RRP

RRP
    Expand Collapse

11. RWBlue

RWBlue
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

Sounds great.
    :wave:

:needspics:

12. Haldor

Haldor
    Expand Collapse
    Retired EE

A bit high, but every gun seems to be selling at a premium these days. This is probably because all the people who sold cheap ARs and GI mags for 3 times their previous price are investing their gains in other guns. I know I did.

I paid $250 for mine about 2-3 years ago, but I also spent 6 months looking for it. Considering how scarce these are I would probably pay $350 for a nice example.

The 20 gauge is going to kick more than a bit (it makes a really lousy skeet gun, ask me how I know). I thought about putting a recoil pad on mine and decided that considering what it is intended for I can put up the occasional sore shoulder. I have mine in one of those corrosion resistant bags and it lives in my SUV inside a Pac-Safe. I figure if I am ever broke down in the wilderness (this is a 4 wheel drive after all and I am therefore permitted to dream) that I couldn't ask for a better wilderness survival gun. I keep the following ammo with it:

Brick of 500: .22 LR
    50: #6 High Brass Game Load
    25: #3 Buck
    25: 3/4 oz Slugs

The media would undoubtedly get all excited about my arsenal (who could possibly need 500 evil rifle bullets and 100 deadly shotgun shells!) if I ever came to somebodies attention.

The point is this is my primary bug-out weapon. I want to be able hunt for the pot and take any large animals I come across if there is a reason to do so. I figure that is sufficient to take care of my needs for an extended period of time.

If you are going to store it in a vehicle I strongly recommend getting a Pac Safe. It will protect the gun against a smash and grab theft and will also ensure your kids can't get their hands on it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

http://pacsafe.com/pacsafe-55l-bag-protector

#12 Haldor, Feb 9, 2013
  13. Haldor

Haldor
    Expand Collapse
    Retired EE

Did you get that with the custom stocks for $325? If so then you did steal it.

When are you going to start selling them custom Myrtlewood stocks? I would take a set.

Mine is very accurate. I hate leaf style sights, but I can't complain about the accuracy. I wish there was a simple way to mount a Williams 5D peep sight on it.

#13 Haldor, Feb 9, 2013
  14. Haldor

Haldor
    Expand Collapse
    Retired EE

Must be one of them-thar semi-automatic AR-24C's. That price is pure foolishness and he didn't get it either. Interesting that the seller put a non-even starting bid on it ($1469), I guess he wanted to fool someone into thinking somebody had actually bid that much for it.

#14 Haldor, Feb 9, 2013
  15. Leigh

Leigh
    Expand Collapse

16. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

17. method

method
    Expand Collapse

That price isn't a bit high at all. The Camper is one of the more valuable 24 variants.