close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Saturday Night Special/Junk Guns

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by nastytrigger, Jul 16, 2012.

1. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Indiana
    I'm not calling any gun junk, but I was looking at the definition of a Saturday Night Special. Main guns I was reading about were the companies: Bryco, Raven, Davis, Sundance, and Lorcin.

Now, they say that 'junk guns' are inexpensive and made of inferior materials. Crime in low income areas have made the stigma of these cheap guns too.

Not to say these weapons are junk, but what about Hi-Point, Kel-Tec, Bersa, Phoenix, Jimenez, Cobra, and some derringers. Even major companies have made cheaper/inexpensive pistols, but there has been legislation on them too?

I'm not bashing these guns (they are less expensive pistol options), nor do I think any gun should be banned, but why were certain companies singled out?

I also understand that most of the Saturday Night Special manufacturers were in/around Los Angeles ("Ring of Fire"). I'm sure that figured in.

2. elde

elde Lifetime Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Tx
    Kel-Tec and Bersa don't even belong in this thread. And arguably neither does Taurus.

SNS guns IMO have to do with pot metal frames and blowback actions. (Pot Metal = primarily zinc)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

3. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    If they're real cheap and made of pot metal, I'd call them Saturday night specials.

4. garya1961

garya1961

Mar 17, 2012
    NC
    Never owned one but I wouldn't call a Hi Point junk , cheap yes but from what I have read dependable and faily accurate. I have been tempted to buy one and if they made one in 22 lr I would. I also have heard good things about the Bersa 380 but never owned one of these either.
    I own three Kel Tecs and they aren't nothing to brag about but are fun little guns to shoot and would get you out of a jam if needed.'I wouldn't own one of the pot metal guns if you paid me to take it.

5. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Indiana
    Zinc was a big question of mine. Any current manufacture guns use zinc, or zinc alloy?

I agree, I threw in the names Kel-Tec and Bersa just based on price point. Like I said, I'm not bashing any manufacturer. I have high praise for Kel-Tec (carry a P-3AT) and Taurus (owned a Taurus 851 Protector).

I have seen/heard people call Kel-Tec and Taurus junk, for example, and was wondering since they're lower tier in price, what is the difference in a Saturday Night Special vs. lower tier.

6. elde

elde Lifetime Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Tx
    Yes, there are still a few zinc framed guns out there. I'm no expert on the subject but I'm sure someone will come along shortly with more information. Incidentally, I apologize for my ititial post describing zinc as a ferrous metal - it most definitely is non-ferrous. That's what I get for attempting to respond too fast.

7. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    Jimenez and Cobra (formerly Davis) were zinc alloy framed guns. Even the Walther P22 uses cast Zinc alloy for the slide.....it seems to be more common on rimfire/polymer pistols since they are relatively low stress shooters.
    Most SNS pistols really weren't designed to be used much beyond a few boxes of ammo, but just because the gun uses zinc castings doesn't mean it's disposable either, as some decently durable guns can have that material these days- High Points use the stuff, but many here find them reliable and durable enough.

8. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I believe Hi-Points have zinc alloy slides.

I know a magnet doesn't stick, that's for sure.

9. The_Gun_Guru

The_Gun_Guru Ban Democrats!!

If you hadn't said it I would have!!!!!:wavey:

I have several SNS guns and they are JUNK!!! Very unreliable and cheaply made.

It's ok OP....you don't need to apologize here.....we are mostly Republicans, NOT demoCRAPS.

TGG

10. hogship

hogship It's MY Island

Saturday night special is whatever liberalism defines it. If some handguns were banned, the term would be redefined to include the next in line! It's part of the liberal agenda.

SNS is something that is needed. Those who frequent this forum probably wouldn't buy one for self defense.....but there are those who do, because the low price doesn't exclude them from defending themselves.

ooc

11. arclight610

arclight610

Dec 2, 2009
    It's not just zinc. The alloy has to meet a minimum yield strength and melting point.

12. RJ's Guns

RJ's Guns

Dec 25, 2010

I think that inexpensive handguns serve a very valuable purpose. Some people cannot afford to pay several hundred dollars for a handgun. Are handguns only for the rich, are not poor people entitled to protect themselves with a handgun? Anti-second amendment types love to demonize guns by calling them “Saturday Night Specials.” I refuse to buy into that propaganda.

RJ

13. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Based on a price point of a little over $200 what could you possibly expect from a double stack .380? Especially one called a "CZ - 83"?:dunno:

:whistling:

14. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Very true

15. This.

Saturday night special is a derogatory term used by antigunners to try and divide and conquer gun owners.

We shouldn't even be using the term.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. Bob Hafler

Bob Hafler

Sep 13, 2011
    I think to often many gun owners who won more expensive brands get confused with the cheap and inexpensive guns. The truth is guns like the Bersa Thunder and the Kel Tec P3at and the P3at clone LCP serve a useful purpose for many gun owners everyday. This you must spend $400 to $500+ for a good reliable SD pistol is falicy.

As RJ says not everyone can afford the higher priced pistols, while others know they don't have to spend big money when they really don't have to for what is basically a tool that is going to get dinged up and most people will never see or even know about. Some of the problems I hear some of these more expensive .380's having I've never experienced with my Kel Tec P3at and I have not always treated it so kindly.

17. BobbyT

BobbyT

Jul 27, 2008
    "Saturday Night Special" has a particularly racist gun control origin.

Even Wikipedia, that PC bastion, contains both the phrase's etymology ("N-town Saturday Night", yes really) and intent (keep "certain types" from having arms).

18. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

Mar 19, 2010
    Ozarks
  19. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
  20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Poor people need to defend themselves too - in fact, they need it a LOT more than rich people.

Thanks for playing into a scam started by the anti-gun movement.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012