close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

samsung prevail

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dalton Wayne, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Anyone own use one what can you tell me about it?
    I'm getting one tomorrow will be my first smart phone, it's android I know that much boost mobile which I've had for ten years now very happy with Boost.
    can I change the browser to opera can I use tapatalk?
    what should I know
    it runs Android 2.3, Gingerbread
    what is that

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. sputnik767

sputnik767

As far as the phone, it is a very low end device even for it's time, but now it's about 2 generations old. Here is a review of it.

As far as opera and tapatalk, that should be fine. I don't know if it will run the full version of Opera (Opera Mobile), but will at least run Opera Mini.

In short, don't expect good performance out of it. It is a very weak device, and you will likely curse Android forever. Just know that it's not Android at fault. I have the Samsung Galaxy S II on Sprint, and it is simply amazing. The iphone 4S doesn't even come close to the the performance and capabilities of it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

3. glock509

glock509

I had it until I switched to the iPhone. I liked it. Not much memory but it was good and fast. Full opera should be doable with the gingerbread update. I took mine swimming and I took it apart and dried it out and it still works fine. I got a case off of amazon for it for $2 shipped.
    I bought it the first day it was out. And used it until jan 1st. Good speaker good browser. Only thing I didn't like was the google bloat ware you can't remove like hookt. But all in all I would go back to it if I had too.

4. Kith

Kith

Your device will make or break your android experience.

If I could compile a kernel on android I would have no need of another OS.

If you get a phone with a hardware keyboard, you can use most of the same keyboard shortcuts (cut, copy, paste and so forth) that you have on a computer. It should go without saying just how much a hardware keyboard is worth - but depends on the person.

I would also recommend the Pulse news app, simply the best way of feeding news in my opinion over the device.

Google maps is fantastic.

On a pre-paid option, the highest end phones available tend to be the lower end of the phones available to plan subscribers. They make the offset of hardware in the plan payouts, so without a contract the hardware gets much more expensive. Just means for the same money up-front you don't get as good choices.

Sage advice above about not blaming Android itself for the shortcomings of the hardware in your hand.

Being that it's your first smartphone, if it's also your first Android then you have nothing to compare to and won't realize any limitations until you move up or play with something better.

Edit:

I started looking into the specs, but got as far as the boost mobile specs page - when the distributors idea of specifications ends with the product dimensions...

Edit again:

Here ya go:
    http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=2836&c=samsung_sph-m820_galaxy_prevail

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  5. Taphius

Taphius

I would look at the samsung transform or ZTE warp over the prevail if the price is reasonable.

The warp is similar in spec to my HTC inspire which is a great phone.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  6. Kith

Kith

Also forgot to mention - since it'll be your first Android and we are long past version 1.1...

Don't use a task killer. Android itself is very good at memory management, it's got your back. You don't have to help it.

To Android, unused RAM is wasted RAM, polar opposite of Windows which always tries to keep it free.

If you kill things manually without letting Android take care of it, things don't shut down correctly and over time starts to really corrupt your data. End result is a slower and less responsive device that 'force closes' a lot of operations.

Friends don't let friends use task killers, the source code is freely available from Google to see why - don't take someone's word on it because they heard it from a friend or on some website, they're wrong if they tell you to use a task killer. Does no good and only harm.

7. glockster72

glockster72

I agree the Prevail is very low end and slow i have the Transform Ultra and the wife has the Warp both are great phones

8. sputnik767

sputnik767

Great advice. Don't use task killers.