close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Saiga

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Custom Builder 1, Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Custom Builder 1

Custom Builder 1
    Expand Collapse

Can anyone give me some info on the Saigas. Such as what does the conversion mean and are they quality or junk. What is the cost for the conversion . Also what is a fair used price if you can estimate.
    Any info can help. Aippi, many thanks for the informative posts

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. method

method
    Expand Collapse

There's probably some threads on here already if you look. Conversion means taking the Saiga from its crappy importable 'sporting' configuration with semi-pistol grip stock and trigger in the wrong place, and returning it to the way it's meant to be. It requires replacing a few foreign parts with U.S. made ones, mostly stuff you need for the conversion anyhow. It's not difficult to do, I did mine myself, and so do a lot of other Saiga owners. Self done, the conversion can be done for $150, probably less.

Fair used price for an unconverted gun....I wouldn't give any more than $300, maybe $350. Converted...depends who did it, $400-who knows, $2000, depending on the work done.

Look at these links. The second details the conversion process.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/
    http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

#2 method, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  3. TreyG-20

TreyG-20
    Expand Collapse
    Second2None

The Saiga is an Ak variant without a pistol grip. The conversion is basically moving the FCG forward so a pistol grip can be installed. If you have the know how and tools then it can be done pretty chaep say about 100 bucks. Having it done by a smith much more. Probably about 250 buck i would guess

4. Ignition

Ignition
    Expand Collapse
    Insanityville

The price of saigas spiked between the ATF shotgun import scare. Hopefully the importation of the "m-16 like" mka 1919 12gauge, magazine fed beasts, will drop the saiga prices back down some

5. megawatt

megawatt
    Expand Collapse
    Electron maker

Going price for a new Saiga in Vegas is $700.

To get it converted by a custom gunsmith - refinished, demilled edges, sight decanted, and headspace corrected if needed is $400 - $450, but then your talking about a custom gun.

6. LEAD

LEAD
    Expand Collapse

I think a fair price for an unconverted Saiga is around 500 converted (reconfigured to traditional AKM configuration) they tend to run around 1000 but I think its something that I enjoyed doing and you learn from the process so I'd say do it yourself.

7. NH Trucker

NH Trucker
    Expand Collapse
    Needs coffee...

I bought mine back in January for $500 new, unconverted. Lately the cheapest I've seen is $700. I found that the ergonomics were nothing special and the trigger was complete crap.

This is a pic of mine before the conversion.

[​IMG]

I decided to convert mine. It really wasn't difficult to do with a dremel, a drill, and some filing. The costs for the parts to do it yourself start around $200 for a basic set up. Mine..... it was a little more than that. The new trigger is MUCH better than in the origional (imported) configuration and IMO is worth it. Plus, with wanting to run a higher capacity mag or drum, you run into parts count issues in keeping it legal (922r compliance) with the ATF.

With 5 shot factory mag
    [​IMG]

12 shot Surefire mag

[​IMG]

Stock folded

[​IMG]

MD20 drum :supergrin:

[​IMG]

8. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker
    Expand Collapse
    Urban Redneck

Are they quality or junk? What kind of question is that? IF you do even a tiny bit of research, you'll find that they are pretty awesome shotguns. Sure, they don't have the tightest quality control department, and some of the guns might need some work. But nothing major in almost all cases.

They're military semi-automatic shotguns. If that is what you're interested in, then they're the real deal. It is designed to shoot slugs, or buckshot, not wimpy stuff. With a little work (sometimes) they can shoot both.

Some posters above gave perhaps some old prices ($300? Good luck finding that one). They did spike above $700 for awhile in early summer, and have now settled down in price to where you can get a new one (unconverted) for the $600 range. (usually a bit more, but here is one from CSS - very good folks - for that price http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-505/SAIGA-12-IZ-dsh-109-19"/Detail).

The conversion can be done on the cheap for about a hundred bucks, but many people will want a nice stock for it, which can add to the price tag significantly, and folding stock adds more. And depending if you want to put a forearm on it, a brake, etc, you can add a bunch more to the cost. A limbsaver is great to have too, because shooting 12 gauge slugs packs some recoil. Forward grip is another option. In all, your total costs can rise pretty high, but you can add gradually. I just put an eotech on one of mine.

By the way, no reason not to do the conversion yourself. Go to Saiga 12 forum for all the info you need. Kits from Carolina Shooters Supply make it easy. (watch their vids)

They are bad ass guns, that perform very reliably after a bit of tweaking. Invest in a few ten round mags, and you're ready to roll. Or you can get the MD Arms 20 round drums. Great gun on an AK platform. Really built to last a lifetime. I know I hope to never have one pointed at me!

9. mac66

mac66
    Expand Collapse
    Huge Member
    Millennium Member

I have to say that most of that is fluff and buff and not necessary. Demilled edges? Sight decanted? Headspace on a shotgun? I guess some people will buy anything.

In reality you need a pistol grip, stock and new trigger parts.

I bought mine back in 2001 when they were less than $200, converted it myself 3 or 4 years later before there was all the stuff available for them. That included cutting the barrel down. Never had any problem reliability wise with mine. Didn't need any tweaking or aftermarket crap. Overall they are not very practical (awkward and heavy) but they are lots of fun.

[​IMG]

#9 mac66, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  10. jwhite75

jwhite75
    Expand Collapse
    Gubmint Worker

I wont touch one until they come back down to a reasonable price. The ATF scare shot them up needlessly, and now that people have paid it the dealrs and distributors will try to keep the prices high.

Much rather spend that money on a 11-87P 930 SPX etc.

11. method

method
    Expand Collapse

Reading comprehension is vital.

12. javelinadave

javelinadave
    Expand Collapse
    Hebrew Hammer

The original poster is asking about a Russian shotgun, not a Romanian WASR.:whistling:

To the OP, I have helped several friends convert their Saiga from a sporting configuration to an AK configuration. It is easy and kind of fun.
    http://forum.saiga-12.com/ is the place to go for any questions that you may have.

13. conch27

conch27
    Expand Collapse

I just took mine out for the first time today. I got with a 10 round magazine and a the 5 round that came with it. That was 629.00 Since i got it from my dealer he converts them free of labor charge all you need is the stock which he had for 59. He also gave a deal on the 20 round drums for 65 if you got them at the time of the shotgun which I did. I will say it is as well made as any AK I have seen. Make sure you clean and lube that thing before taking it out. I put 50 rounds of buckshot through it this afternoon which were the first. It did not cycle very well at first. After changing the gas setting and putting about 20 rounds through her it start cycling much better and did not have cycling issues for the 30 rounds. I have heard this is common. Everyone seems to say 200 rounds before firing the cheaper ammo. I will say I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to taking it back to the range. It is clearly a quality firearm.

14. javelinadave

javelinadave
    Expand Collapse
    Hebrew Hammer

Here is a photo of a conversion that I did this morning. I still need to refinish the wood and figure out what kind (if any) of muzzle brake / flash hider to use. I'm going for the AK look on this one.

[​IMG]

15. NH Trucker

NH Trucker
    Expand Collapse
    Needs coffee...

Looks great!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. Kona2004

Kona2004
    Expand Collapse

I think the Saiga has become addicting for me. For a while, I went on a kick where was I building/assembling AR's (did 6 on my own). I picked up my first Saiga a month or so ago and got it to the range a couple weeks later to test it out before doing the conversion. It ran flawlessly from the start with all different shells, much to my surprise from what I had read about them. I just did the conversion last weekend and couldn't be happier with the outcome. It's very easy to do...with help from the videos at Carolina Shooters. I'll probably end up doing one more.

17. DD26

DD26
    Expand Collapse
    Anti-Anti

While I will probably send mine off for "pro" work if I decide to SBS it, due to the gas system tweaks usually needed..........I'd recommend converting your own for a non-NFA conversion. It's stupid-easy, and there's videos that can walk you through it. It's just plain fun too.

Here's mine that I converted myself:

[​IMG]

18. glockenturm

glockenturm
    Expand Collapse

Finished mine a few days ago. Going to range in morning. All parts ordered from Carolina Shooters Supply.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

19. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo
    Expand Collapse
    NRA ENDOWMENT

Mine is set up for three gun. I am thinking of having my spare parts gun set up as a tactical gun for fun with a NFA barrel at 13 inches.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp
    Expand Collapse
    Methberry PD

Great gun. With tax I gave about $625 which is about $100 too much in my opinion. I've completed the conversion using Carolina Shooter's Supply kit with Tapco parts sitting at my kitchen table. The single hardest part of the conversion for me was removing the factory butt stock, whose screw would absolutely not come free. Ended up usign a SawzAll. With Tapco, you get what you pay for.
    [​IMG]
    Since the above pic was taken, the folding stock BROKE THE HELL OFF the gun when I set it down on my desk to clean it. NOT impressed. They sent me a replacement fixed Yugo stock which sucks. Next order of business is an adjustable gas plug and better stock set. Not impressed with Tapco furniture in the least.

#20 Kadetklapp, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.