Saiga. 223 bolt help

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by bamarammin87, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Hey guys, have a question. I acquired a .233 saiga minus bolt and bolt carrier group. Which type of bolt heads will work for this? I have heard a 5.45 bolt will work, is that true? Any leads on where to find one? I'm aware I'll have to check headspace and possibly have it adjusted. I just can't tell which ones work. I don't know muh about AKs. Thanks,

Ian

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    bolt on saiga muzzle break/ flash supr? The Kalashnikov Klub Aug 22, 2011
    Saiga .223 With A 7.62x39 Bolt? Gunsmithing Aug 9, 2011
    Saiga 7.62 SE Wisconsin Firearms Listings Today at 3:27 PM
    Converted Saiga or entry level AR? Black Rifle Forum Aug 9, 2015
    WTS 14x 1 LH Saiga barrel threading tools. Misc. Gun Stuff Jul 31, 2015

3. KVAR has them - http://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-557R.html. Looks like they are out of stock but give them a call and they can give you an eta. There are some 5.45 bolts on gunbroker but they are looking really pricey right now. Before the current craziness I was able to pick up a new spare cerakoted for $40.

4. HWI

HWI

Even though the Saiga .223 bolt is patterned after the AK-100 bolts which are patterned after the AK-74 bolts I would be doubtful that the 5.45 bolt would reliably function in a 5.56 rifle.

5. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

An AK-74 5.45 bolt and bolt carrier will work. The extractor is slightly looser on the rim. It can be filed slightly to rotate inward more to fit the rim as tightly but it usually isn't required for reliable function. I doubt K-var will have any more 223 Saiga bolts or parts for sale. The ones they were selling were likely from Arsenal USA conversions that were damaged while welding up the extra receiver holes or somehow otherwise damaged during the conversion. I think somebody else is doing the conversions now. Be careful of slamfires with an AK-74 5.45 bolt as the firing pin is not spring loaded like the 223 Saiga one is.

#4 GIockGuy24, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013