close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Saiga 12

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by michael88, Sep 12, 2010.

1. michael88

michael88

Mar 26, 2009
    So I'm now considering a saiga 12. From what I've read they're dependable after being broken in. Any of you trust them to be your primary hd weapon? I'm considering just spending a little more and getting one instead of a Remington 870. I can't afford an ar at the moment, but the saiga gives you options to customize. I found one for 475 is that a good price? Let me know your thoughts.

2. 1time

1time Lifetime Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Baltimore, Md
    They are great shotguns and are a ton of fun to shoot. You cannot leave the mag loaded and in the gun or it will deform the shell that is pressing on the bottom of the bolt. I keep my mag loaded and it the gun but I leave the bolt open. Other than that minor detail you will love it. That is a pretty good price. Here they go from 525 to 650.

3. space_weazel

space_weazel

Sep 26, 2005
    Or-e-Gone?
    I really love mine, its a gun I will never sell and likely one I will get an extra of, mine and the few I have converted for friends have been 100%. Though to get them to look as good as this takes AR money but it can be done piece by piece so that makes it easier.

I take care of all my equipment and as such with most everything I have I wouldn't hesitate to take it and use it. Though for bumps in the night I prefer a handgun and a light it makes a lot more sense in an enclosed space. JMO
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  4. michael88

michael88

Mar 26, 2009
    Looks quite nice weasel. Just at that time where it's do I go with an 870 or spend the extra

5. DreamWeaver88

DreamWeaver88 ...............

Mar 10, 2001
    Southeast Michigan
    They are imported like the pic below. The trigger assembly is more rearward than an AK47. They can be pretty easily converted so the trigger is in the correct spot so you can use a pistol grip.

[​IMG]

After conversion.

[​IMG]

6. michael88

michael88

Mar 26, 2009
    Generally speaking bow much does the conversion run?

7. rjrivero

rjrivero

Apr 23, 2009
    Conversions can be done for as little as $150, if you do the work yourself. You can spend as much as you want to on a Saiga-12. There is a strong aftermarket for this particular shotgun.

While it's true you can't leave a loaded magazine in the shotgun on a closed bolt, you CAN leave a loaded magazine in the shotgun with an OPEN bolt. Then you're one bump of the lever away from locked and loaded.

A Saiga loaded with buck, or slugs is as reliable as anything, but when you're asking it to cycle with cheap bulk low brass birdshot, be prepared to do some polishing, and tweaking to get it to run 100%.

Still, it's a fun shotgun and starting to dominate the 3 gun arena.

8. bikerdog

bikerdog

Feb 11, 2009
    Why does every one use the SAW grip when they do the conversions. Is it just your preference or are there no other good options ?

9. rjrivero

rjrivero

Apr 23, 2009
    Hell if I know. Maybe because they're so plentiful? I use an AR style grip on mine.

10. g22od

g22od G-22-OD

Apr 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Seems to be a niche where someone would want to publish a book on how to convert the stock-import Saiga 12 to something more...uh...tacticool. There are lots of people out there doing conversions. Tromix seems to be the top of the heap and as a result you have to enter a monthly lottery to get one done. I keep my eyes open always for anyone in AZ doing conversions as a Saiga 12 seems to be the natural companion for my G-22. Curious if anyone has ever shot trap with one? Seems like it could be fun.

11. michael88

michael88

Mar 26, 2009
    heard that they shoot high and so aiming dead on helps...for trap.

12. DreamWeaver88

DreamWeaver88 ...............

Mar 10, 2001
    Southeast Michigan
    I don't know......That's just what Tromix uses. I like the feel of the grip.

DW

13. rjrivero

rjrivero

Apr 23, 2009
    Books? Books are out-dated by the time they get published.

Take a look at www.forum.saiga-12.com for any info you could possibly want on Saiga shotguns, conversions, tips, tricks, Conversion Shops, or just about anything else you would want to do to these shot guns.

14. CTfam

CTfam DREAM BIG.

Feb 19, 2006
    Paradise
    I had one.. Loved it, but now it's gone. Here in CT we can't have pistol grips on semi auto shotguns so I had this crazy butt hole stock that had the ergonomics of a crow bar. This really killed it for me. A proper conversion is a MUST IMO. The sporter AK configuration is just wrong. It was reliable but it would choke on bird shot. The new owner opened up the gas holes and now it runs like a champ.

It is a big, heavy, super fun gun that you will quickly get carried away over building. :cool:

I prefer a very basic pump these days.

15. brucefire

brucefire

Dec 1, 2009
    I love mine. I do trust it. Where you run into trouble is when you use low brass game loads. Full brass has no problems with cycling. Once it is broken in the low brass loads are 95-98% reliable.

Bruce

Attached Files:

16. michael88

michael88

Mar 26, 2009
    ahh i hate decisions, they suck. i was hoping i would get just a bunch of negative reports so i dont have to decide and go based on sense not opinion.

17. Lurkus Maximus

Lurkus Maximus

May 15, 2009
    Washington
    Who makes that lock system?

18. I trust mine. Super reliable with buck loads. I happen to love the Saw grip and have them on some of my other weapons. Also, I am not a dealer or anything like that, but check out MDarms for their drum sale. Their drums flat work, and they are super cheap right now.