close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Safety Way To Store Bulk Primers...

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Kwesi, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Kwesi

Kwesi

Sep 23, 2006
    TX
    I was reading a V-V Reloading Guide and they state:

"Do not store primers in bulk. Doing so will create a bomb! Bulk primers will very likely mass detonate. The blast of a few hundred primers corresponds to a hand grenade in a room"!

I have thousands stored in my office furniture most of which are in the cardboard as shipped. I keep the powder in the same room but inside a closet.

What is the safe way?

2. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011

3. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Dec 18, 2010
    DisneyWorld
    I am not sure how they would define "bulk". I've seen pictures in the old days where they'd keep a cup full of them in a glass jar. They would move and collide with each others as you move the jar. Is that considered bulk?

In the semiconductor industry, we'd ship stored micromachined chips in tubes. It would be fine if the chips were encased in plastic, but not ceramic housing. Simple collision from one ceramic package to another, in a plastic tube, was documented in the thousands of G-force, which subsequently destroys internal parts of the chip.

So in a glass jar, I can see the danger of sloshing around bare primers inside.

I'd like to think we've gotten smarter over the years.

Primers are now sold in plastic trays, which cushion them from shock. I would think that is deemed safe and adequate enough to be shipped by UPS and couriers. So unless they are stored on train cars, the worst handling of them is over as soon as they got to your hand.

Another issue to ponder, is if primers are so dangerous then everytime you drop a round on a ceramic floor that round would go off !!! But they don't, to my experience, not that I'd drop them for fun...

Cheers

4. dhgeyer

dhgeyer

Jul 15, 2011
    That is kind of alarming, isn't it! I've got about 4000 in the original boxes in my desk drawer. Yikes!

I suppose I could place each 100 primer pack in a different place around the house, and then try to find them when I need them. Kind of like an Easter egg hunt. Nah.

I could buy packs of primers one or two at a time when I need them. With that Dillon progressive press downstairs: Nah.

I could solve the problem completely by storing them immersed in oil. Nah.

I could build a bomb proof container of some kind, and put them all in there. Nah.

I could install a sprinkler system in the house. Actually that might not be a bad idea. In addition to the primers, I've got a bunch of propellent powders around. I'll do that when I get a round tuit. Nobody has given me one yet.

Not coming up with any real good ideas here. Maybe someone else has a good answer. Sorry.

5. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    There are very specific legally binding storage requirements. NFPA sets the requirements and the Unifrom Fire Code incorporates the requirements. Cities and counties (and states) then pass laws or ordinances that require compliance the the various Uniform codes (as locally amended).

Here is the NFPA document:
    http://www.nfpa.org/catalog/product.asp?pid=49510

It's not that there aren't rules, it's that reloaders don't know about them and wouldn't care much about them even if they did know.

What? The Fire Department is going to inspect your house? Before you have a fire? Not in this country!

Even UPS has limits to how much can be carried on a single truck. I don't have any idea how Powder Valley schedules their shipments. Nor do I have any idea what their storage facility looks like. But it must be impressive!

Richard

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  6. Kentguy

Kentguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Kent, OH
    Kwesi,

All ways keep them in their original shipping/packing containers. Now matter where you store them it must be in a cool dry place (same as powder). The "primer cabinet" is a great idea but some folks don't have the room or $$$ to spend, if you do go for it.

For small amounts an ammo can(s) will work best

Whatever method you choose I would recommend using a dehumidifier in the room or at the very least purchase some of these; [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Silica-Gel-Desiccants-Packets-Dry-Packs/dp/B004FC5VT4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1S14XSO817FHK&coliid=IMRFIYORHS7BN"]Amazon.com: Silica Gel Desiccants Packets - 7/8" X 1 1/2" - 1 Gram Packs - 20 Packets of Silica Gel - Dry-Packs Brand!: Home & Kitchen@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31TFEDeHL-L.@@AMEPARAM@@31TFEDeHL-L[/ame]

Keep them with your primers in storage, remember besides an open flame moisture is your primers (and powders) worst enemy!

7. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    Store primers?
    I shoot them, I don't collect them.

8. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    A storage cabinet made out of combustable material is a must.:faint:

I would not pay any attention to the article. Stick the primers in an ammo can with one of those silica gel packs to store long term.

If you have a good size house fire the primers, powder, ammo and everything is going to go up. Good luck trying to stop it even if you put it in a safe. Safes will get hot inside also. I figure if you want safety find another hobby.

9. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

When was the last time there was a story in your local papers about a house blowing up due to improper primer storage??:dunno:

Think that a meth lab gone bad makes the headlines a lot more often.:supergrin:

10. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Yes, proper storage is required. Putting them in a locked metal ammo can is not a good idea. In a firem that becomes a bomb as the priemrs start to cook off. Better is a wooden storage locker. There are legal limits to what one can store in their res but it isn't going to be checked until you have the fire & things start going bang. Powder burns, so is far safer to store. Still, there are rules when you go over 25#. Again, a wooden locker, separate from the primers, is the best way.
    Just be smart about it. Keep primers in original packaging. Don't store them near the furnace or in an attic space. If yo uhave a fire & can warn the fire dept, do so. It's alrady going to be ugly.

11. Kwesi

Kwesi

Sep 23, 2006
    TX
    Very interesting perspectives! It was the hand grenade analogy that got my attention.

12. Kwesi

Kwesi

Sep 23, 2006
    TX
    I use the ones that are reusable. They come in a rectangular this can. When the crystals change color you put them in the oven around 350*.

13. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    That i sprobably an exageration. It would depend on how they went off. Bundle 300 together in a small closed space, maybe. 300 in an opern container would be very bad, but not a handgrenade. The idea of 1000 thrown into a glass jar as some old timers used to do scares the crap out of me, but then I tend to be careful with this stuff.

14. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    You can store more than that but fire regs recommend building a wooden locker to keep them in.

I do believe 20 lbs is the limit you can transport in a car. The only time i ever exceeded that i think was when i moved.

15. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011

Actually, a 1" thick wooden cabinet is recommended for all kinds of flammable materials. Paints, solvents, powder and probably primers (I'm not sure about the primers but I am absolutely certain about the rest).

The NFPA has a construction plan detailing how the corners are to be made and so on. Wood is a good material. It won't stop the fire forever but it will hold it back long enough for the Fire Department to do their thing.

And the fire resistant paint helps!

There's a brief discussion of the construction requirements here:
    http://www.ehs.psu.edu/help/info_sheets/flammable_liquid_storage_cabinet_faq.pdf

Richard

16. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Dec 18, 2010
    DisneyWorld
    Keep 'em at the in-law's house. There! Problem solved.

LOL

17. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    I just do it the same way the gun shops do. In their own packages on a shelf.

18. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    I always get wrapped around my own axle when this topic comes up. I get very concerned about my own situation. I worry and ask myself "what if?"

Then, I remember that there are four vehicles in the garage attached to my house that (combined) have over fifty gallons of gasoline in them. And, I realize that would create a lot more problems than my "arsenal" would if the worst happened any my house caught fire.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  19. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    We never use wood cabinets or any of that crap out in industry and OSHA came through regularly. Flammables were stored in steel cabinets (made especially for storing flammables) with removable plugs for the firemen to stick a hose into.(like in your link) Notice they are NOT made of wood.(gee I wonder why) The same heat that would make paint bubble on the steel cabinet will burst the wood cabinet into flames.

I actually have one at home they were throwing away at work. http://www.securallproducts.com/sec...le+storage&ei=UTF-8&fr=moz35&to=flammable.htm

Primers in an ammo box are not under pressure or compressed in any way. There is airspace and when/if the primers go off the latch will fail and any blast will most likely go upward. One could argue the box could actually help contain the blast.

Well then what would all the worry warts worry about? I can already see in the near future bright shiney blue Dillon primer and powder storage cabinets. Would sell like hotcakes.

20. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    If this were true, why does NFPA call for a wood storage locker for powder? Yes, I have seen metal & even concrete ones, but for the home owner, a wood footlocker works, is lockable & easily moved if needed during a fire. Maybe someone will sacrafice say 5K primers in a 30cal steel ammo can in a firepit & report back to us. It won't be me, not for $100 worth of primers.