close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Safeties on a 1911 -- share your preferences and why

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Gene Pool, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Gene Pool

Gene Pool

Nov 21, 2005
    Texas
    My new SIG C3 is due to arrive tomorrow. It will be only the 16th 1911 in the stable but I plan to carry it much of the time, assuming it proves reliable.

One of the features that sold me on the C3 is the absence of an ambi sefety. Call me old fashioned if you wish, but I carry cocked-and-locked (in a leather holster) and prefer only one traditional size safety, on the traditional side of a 1911. Plus I prefer the safety to require "authoritative" pressure to disengage.

I have often wondered how others prefer the safety on 1911 carry guns, and why. Would you mind sharing your preferences and why?

Thank you,
    Gene Pool

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    NJ
    I don't like the ambi either. When I used to carry my 1911 off duty, sometimes the car seatbelt would disengage the safety. For a 1911 I just used at the range and didn't carry, I probably wouldn't care either way.

3. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    I also dislike the ambi safety, and I carry cocked and locked with a round chambered, because it is 100% safe to do:thumbsup:

4. awpk03s

awpk03s

Apr 1, 2007
    Ohio
    I'm a lefty, so I like the ambi. I have a Wilson Bulletproof ambi on my VBOB and it's a great part.

5. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    The ambi hits my knuckle so it's out for me.

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  7. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    being a right handed, do not like/need an ambi-safety

8. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    The only safety I like on a 1911 is the GI one.

9. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY
    Unless you're left handed ambi safeties are a very poor option.

10. happy seal

happy seal

Apr 12, 2007
    Connecticut
    I am truely ambi. I mostly shoot righty but shoot just as well lefty. Lefty suits me well because I am left eye dominant. I love the ambi safety!

I am going for rotator cuff on my right shoulder so am really stoked I can switch up and carry lefty!

11. banger

banger

Nov 8, 2005
    Where evil lives
    ^^^^This X100^^^

Now, something that no one has mentioned yet.

Personally, I like a FIRM and positive engagements.
    (nothing soft or mushy).

12. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Unless you're a lefty, there is no need for it.

13. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    Two of my last three 1911s have the amb safetyi, none of the others do. The Baer PII came with it and the Remington R1 does not. Those were bought off the shelf with the ambi. The last 1911 I ordered to my liking (12 months and waiting!) was the first one I had a ambi safety put on. Not sure why other than I just had a "urge" to have a ambi on it.

I really don't mind the ambi on the Baer, I have carried it and really do not see in my daily carry that a ambi would be a big hindrance. That being said if I was to order a new CCW 1911 it would be a single sided safety.

14. ancient_serpent

ancient_serpent

Jun 6, 2008
    Don't think there's a need for it, but they don't bother me. If I ever replace the safety on either of my Kimbers, I'll probably go with a traditional, extended thumb safety.

15. mleroux21

mleroux21

Feb 24, 2012
    If you are not left handed I find no need for an ambi safety. Even if my right arm was shot. I would still be fine with a strong side safety.

Marc

16. gunsmoke92

gunsmoke92

Jul 22, 2005
    Rigby, Idaho
    I originally thought they were cool, but I have a high grip and fat fingers that interfere when I disengage it, so they're gone. The standard works great for me.

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I like the standard left side Colt thumb safety just fine. I don't find the need for extended safety lever of any kind. If anything, they get in the way and irk me more than help me. Some of my Colts come with those extended thingiemabobs and I just replaced them with the regular ones from the cheaper Colt models. Slim, out of the way but plenty enough for my thumb to positively engage it.

18. deadite

deadite Groovy.

I like a single sided safety, but I either want a tiny original Colt style or one that's big enough to drape my thumb over.

Smaller extended safeties, like Wilson Combat, just force me to inadvertently drag my thumb on the slide when I shoot. If it's original Colt style, I shoot without my thumb on the safety. Thumb on the safety if it's a bigger one like Ed Brown...if that makes any sense.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

19. QNman

QNman resU deretsigeR Silver Member

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    For a carry piece, this exactly. For a range piece, extended, but otherwise the same; single-sided (disassembly is easier) and "authoritative".

20. sna0403

sna0403

Nov 20, 2011
    Texas
    I'm a leftie that learned the platform with only the standard safety. On a whim, I decided to try an ambi ($24.00 for the one from Rock Island with the sear pin) and now I won't go back. It didn't take long for the muscle memory to adapt and now I won't go back; just made an already wonderful platform that much more comfortable.