close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

safe temp/humidity for powder/primers ?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by jetsfan-24, Jun 10, 2014.

1. jetsfan-24

jetsfan-24
    Expand Collapse

what would b the best temp and humidity for storage of powder and primers in a gun safe ?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Cooler & drier the better. Personally, I would not store powder & primers together, certainly not in a non vented steel box.

3. snowwdog

snowwdog
    Expand Collapse
    snowwdog

powder has to be stored in a wooden box. If you put it in a safe your making a bomb.

4. jetsfan-24

jetsfan-24
    Expand Collapse

ok forget bout the safe what bout the temp and humidity thanks

5. Kentguy

Kentguy
    Expand Collapse

jetsfan-24,

Yes you must store these items in a cool/dry environment, buy you can be creative about your storage process. It can be as simple and zip-loc bags & a top closet shelf or whatever you can come up with based on your space and money.

I keep primers in there original boxes stored in an ammo can(s) with Silica-dry packs to help control moisture. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038N30OY/ref=oss_product"]Amazon.com: Dry-Packs 3gm Cotton Silica Gel Packet, Pack of 20: Home & Kitchen@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41fw%2BFCRN5L.@@AMEPARAM@@41fw%2BFCRN5L[/ame] These are stored on open shelves in my basement.

long(er) term powder is stored in original containers placed in cardboard boxes with packing material and Silica-dry packs, placed on open shelves in my basement.

My place is fairly new and my basement is very dry, but I do run a dehumidifier as well. I'm guessing the average temp is around 60 degrees??? With all the dry packs and dehumidifier, the humidity is kept to a very low number.

Not a big fan of lockers, cabinets or safes for these items. Save the gun safe for your guns & finished ammo.

6. jetsfan-24

jetsfan-24
    Expand Collapse

iv,e been keeping the temp around 70 and the humidity is around 50-55 think that is ok ?

7. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Stored in original containers, you should be fine. If you are worried about it, put your powder in a cheap ice chest, toss in a silica pak, gtg just about anywhere.

8. gwalchmai

gwalchmai
    Expand Collapse
    Lucky Member

I keep primers and powder in the boxes and jugs I buy 'em in. Long-term I put primers in a ziplock, too. They'll be fine like that for many years as long as the temp/humidity stays at reasonable ranges you'd keep your house at.