SA or Kimber

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by wolf19r, Nov 8, 2010.

1. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

I have been looking at 1911s for a bit now and recently shot a Springfield TRP. So the Epic debate. Whats a good quality 1911? I was looking at Springfield TRP or Kimber Warriors or TLE Full size or Pro size. All info is appreciated.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Been offered a Kimber Ultra Carry II for a Glock 19 1911 Forums Yesterday at 7:20 PM
    Kimber Crimson Carry Pro 1911 (Colorado) Firearms Listings Aug 16, 2015
    Bobbed- SW E series vs Kimber Super Carry Pro vs ?? 1911 Forums Jul 28, 2015
    WTS Kimber Crimson Classic Pro 1911 .45 Pistol (Colorado) Firearms Listings Jul 21, 2015
    FSOT - Kimber SOLO Carry 9mm with extras - Central Texas Firearms Listings Jul 17, 2015

3. Go American Made! Check out a used Kimber Gold Combat.

4. Below $1000 I like Kimber, but from the TRP on up, I prefer Springfield.

5. I am quite pleased with my TRP at the moment.

6. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I think the TRP is as good or better than the upper end Kimbers, but I'd take any Kimber over all of the SA guns that are below the TRP.

7. I love my series one Gold combat, awesome gun not easy to find

8. The TRP looks like a nice pistol, but I haven't shot one. I have owned a SA Ultra Compact Loaded and I was disappointed with it's reliability and accuracy. I put about 600 rounds through it and sold it off.
    I've had nothing but good luck with my Kimbers (Pro CDP II and Warrior). I've got about 1000 rounds or so through the CDP and probably around 5 to 6 thousand through the Warrior, no problems to speak of. The Warrior is probably my favorite pistol, and one I would gladly take with me to the middle east, given the choice.

9. PhoneCop

PhoneCop TeleDetective

I've seen a Warrior used through several thousand rounds in practice and competition. It's running like a champ. I've not owned or know anyone (specifically) using a Springfield. But, I would not worry about owning a Springfield as well.

Sooooo, you'll be fine with which ever you buy.

10. I'd say the TRP, or save a few hundred and get a STI Trojan. If you want a 4"-4.25", I'd also look at the STI Ranger2 over the Kimber Pros. If you are deadset on a 4" Kimber, the ProTLE2 is a nice gun for the money.

11. I still need to get a TRP (amongst other things).

12. The TRP for sure.

13. All nice pistols. Tie breaker for me was made in the USA. Custom TLE/RL II. 1000+ rounds. never a burp. It likes Federal 230g +P HST and 230g Gold Dots among others.

14. No contest. SA. Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service. :)

15. Disregarded9-side

Disregarded9-side Armchair IPSCer

What's the difference between the Pro Carry HD and the Pro Carry TLE?
    Sights...$202? Really......?

Edit: oh, front strap checkering?

16. No questiona bout it, Springfield TRP.

17. I'd say SA TRP as well.

18. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

You answered your own question. Night sights and front strap checkering are well worth a $202 upgrade.

19. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Dan Wesson Valor.

20. Disregarded9-side

Disregarded9-side Armchair IPSCer

Agreed.
    A different name entirely for sights and checking seems excessive, and seems to cheapen the strength of the brand's image...these should def be an option.

The TLE are also only offered in ACP, whereas the HD seems available in .38S and the non-steel versions can be had in nine.

21. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

So both are good choices it seems. Kimber is out of NY. so its American made. Is Springfield not made in the USA? I was looking on their site (which needs more info added to it) and could not tell.