close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

S2K -vs- Mazdaspeed MX5

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by Rob1035, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

Jan 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    I'm thinking about getting into a droptop in a little while, and these two have ended up at the top of my list. Both are newish, can be had for ~ 20k (1st gen S2k, not the new one). I used to have an Integra Type R, which sold me on Honda motors, gearboxes, and reliability, but the Masdaspeed is newer, lighter, with more easily available hp. This wont be my daily, but I want something reliable enough to act as thus.

Both are 6 speeds with great gearboxes, low weight, balanced rwd with lsd, nifty interiors, get decent mileage.

VTEC+9K rpms is intoxicating, but then again, so is b00st...

Any thoughts on the two?

2. Ron3

Ron3

Sep 6, 2001
    Florida
    I've heard from a few folks (and newspaper articles) that the Honda S2000 is not a good "road" car. As in not comfortable even compared to other cars in it's class.

Even Sport Compact Car said something like, "Honda says the 2004 S2K is far more road friendly than the previous model, don't you believe it!". It handled fine, but they wouldn't want to drive one any distance or every day.

Just some thoughts, I've never been in either of these cars.

Ron3

3. new2mud

new2mud

Aug 26, 2004
    Let's face it. You are going to want more power eventually, and the path to more power always gives the nod to forced induction. The Mazda block is so overbuilt, it's unreal--will handle lots more power easily.

Honda motors are amazing engineering marvels, but are high-strung and don't take to massive overpower without fortifying internals.

Just take a look at www.flyinmiata.com for 1.6L engines that came from the factory with 113bhp that are now making 250+ with NO internal mods whatsoever, and with stock reliability.

4. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

Jan 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    yeah i'm well aware of the miata's power potential. The shop I frequent has a project miata thats making just under 300whp (mustang dyno) and puking trannies. That's one of the appeals of the MSM is the tuning. Its obviously not stressed stock, both in engine output and suspension tuning. With that car, there'd be more cause to tinker, which may or may not be a good thing. With the S2k, the suspension is fine as is, and the expense of getting more HP is prohibitive, and i'd probably leave it stock or close to it, again, a positive/negative depending on your take.

I know the best way to decide will be back to back drives, but its still fun to discuss.

5. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

May 11, 2001
    Farmington, MI
    Miata for sure.

Though is has less HP, it's lighter has better overall potential and the cost is a few thousand less.

6. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

Jan 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    plus i can put some 15"s on it and drop almost 8lbs a corner (with SSR comps) and have a cheaper tire selection to boot

7. new2mud

new2mud

Aug 26, 2004
    Miatas ripping through trannies is rather unusual, although your experience at the local shop obviously is not reassuring.

Too bad I am no longer in the Triangle--I have dyno'd at 269 RWHP on a Dynojet, 1.6L, stock internals, stock tranny, and over 70k miles on forced induction to date. Bullet-proof reliability. Many, many others are pushing power similar to mine (and more) without tranny issues.

That said, I have driven an S2000 on a track, and believe it to be approximately 8/10ths the car that mine is now, but with the benefit of being ready to rock out of the box. It's an impressive car.

8. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

Jan 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    yeah i dont know why they're having problems either, Bob@P1 must be hard on trannies...

9. 22/45

22/45 Snail Driver

Oct 30, 2001
    NC
    Rob, get the Me-otter. From what I've heard, you really need to whale on a Stook to get it moving good, much more so than on a Hype R. Besides, even a stock, non-snailed MX5 will leave you with a poop-eating grin, can you imagine it with positive pressure?

10. new2mud

new2mud

Aug 26, 2004
    not to hijack rob's post, but 22/45, what you got there? looks intriguing.

11. 22/45

22/45 Snail Driver

Oct 30, 2001
    NC
    You mean what's the boost gauge from my avatar in? Nothing that exciting - '99 Volvo S70 T5. Took me a few months to find one with a manual transmission. Put down 220whp with a K&N drop-in, need to go again now that I have a good exhaust.

One of these days I'll get a flashed ECU. They claim about 280hp and 300tq at the crank, but they run about $1,000 ;g

Money better spent dropping a 302 in one of my older Volvos ;f

12. new2mud

new2mud

Aug 26, 2004
    sweeeeet. i have always loved turbo volvos.

13. 22/45

22/45 Snail Driver

Oct 30, 2001
    NC
    It's a fun car, but a 242 with the same HP would be a whole lot more fun ;f

14. knives

knives

Apr 26, 2005
    Texas
    are you a male nurse? if not why look for a mazda? I have driven my friends s2k and loved them. I'm a bit partial though...my car is a civic hatch with a h2.2. If your looking for high boost you'll have to sleeve both blocks to make respectable power. Call golden eagle for a sleeve job or if you want you can run with stock internals and get the Comptech supercharger.

15. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

Jan 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    miata=fag comments are so 1995, get with the program.

Its going to be a daily driver probably, so there wont be any big mods for either.

16. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Sep 4, 2004
    Racing Capital, USA
    the miata has a parts everywhere and can from what I hear can be made to handle like a shifter cart.

I am way too damn big for either :(

@6'3" I would have to get in either by having the top down and climbing in from the top LMP style.

17. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

Jan 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    A little welding and an "01" on the doors...

18. new2mud

new2mud

Aug 26, 2004
    Rob,

If you REALLY, really mean that there will be no mods, then I would probably tip my hat to the S2K. But do you really mean that?
    ;f

19. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

Jan 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    lol yeah, that's a good point. It'd probably be only a rollbar, exhaust for noise, and brake pads, for either one.